[SOLVED] Lion slow boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

circumventor

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
My macbook pro 13" takes FOREVER to boot! The most recent time I have for it was 1min 32secs.

My specs:
Macbook Pro 13" (Newest Version)
Core i5 Processor @ 2.3GHz
5400rpm 320GB HDD
4GB RAM
Pretty much everything stock

I do have to apple care protection plan that I got cheaper because im a student. Should I take it in and have the apple people take a look at it or is this a common issue with an easy fix. My Mac didn't come with a restore disc so I don't have one on hand but I could always burn one :)

Solution
The fact is - Mac OS X Lion does a good job of taking care of itself. For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:

* Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
* Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
* Look at what widgets you may have running.
* Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
* Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
* Make sure you're not...

halcyon

Splendid

That is extremely slow. When did it start taking so long to boot?

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
every new mac should have come with a restore CD.

but being under apple care i would first Ring the support number and they can guide you through the first stage of troubleshooting.

if they cant solve it they will issue you with a case id and instruct you to take it to your local MAC repair agent.

circumventor

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
It started a few weeks ago. I didn't do anything crazy and my mac doesn't have anything installed on it. I use it mainly for web browsing, checking email, and editing video on the fly. I've tried CCleaner which cleared the cache, cookies, trash bin, and all that good stuff. I removed everything from startup items and uninstalled any random software, as well as clearing the fonts to be the default apple installed ones.. I can't imagine what happened. Ill call Apple Care tomorrow and see if they know anything. As for taking it to be repaired, I live within throwing distance of the closest apple store.

halcyon

Splendid

Its taking a long time to boot, but once its up is normal or extra slow too?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Bring it in and don't take any chances.Better to be safe than sorry.I own this laptop also and the boot up time is much faster.

enestowell

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
The fact is - Mac OS X Lion does a good job of taking care of itself. For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:

* Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
* Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
* Look at what widgets you may have running.
* Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
* Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
* Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

Also let this Mac speed up tool to perform a health check of Mac.

Note: I don't think using a recovery CD is best option as it may erase all Mac Lion data. Regards.

Solution

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
The MBA does not come with a CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.