Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to add a program to startup Windows Server 2012?

Tags:
  • Cloud Computing
  • Login
  • Windows Server
  • Servers
  • Business Computing
Last response: in Business Computing
January 28, 2013 8:04:47 PM

Hello,

I tried task scheduler and it doesn't work. Maybe because this is in the cloud? I tried adding "On login" as a trigger just to see if it worked, and sure enough when I RDP into the server it starts the program, but this isn't what I want, as I want it to start when the server
reboots every 3 hours. (I can't login everytime.)

Help is much appreciated.

More about : add program startup windows server 2012

Anonymous
January 29, 2013 1:38:30 PM

open run command (Winkey+R)->

type shell:Startup

This will open a window in the otherwise hidden AppData path for the Startmenu/Programs/Startup -> Add a shortcut to the executable for the program you want to start.

This will of course only apply to the logon account that you're using at the time.

For all users type shell:Common Startup
February 7, 2013 7:08:49 PM

I put it in Common Startup and it is only working when I sign in through remote desktop, not when the computer actually starts up.

Should I try Startup or it doesn't make a difference?
Related resources
February 7, 2013 7:15:03 PM

It needs to be a service to start with windows... what program?
February 7, 2013 7:24:18 PM

^+1

Servers are meant to run 24/7, why does your's restart every 3 hours?
February 9, 2013 1:53:07 AM

pauls3743 said:
^+1

Servers are meant to run 24/7, why does your's restart every 3 hours?

Because for some reason it gets slow after 3 hours or so. It doesn't have much memory or processing power. Can I add a program as a service?
February 12, 2013 7:01:13 PM

So that example makes Notepad run on startup? But how do I make a program run on startup? Can I just replace "Notepad" with the path to the program?

Also, does this work with Windows Server 2012? Thanks.
February 12, 2013 7:02:05 PM

That link contains all the documentation you need to accomplish your task. It hasn't changed in years.
February 13, 2013 3:48:32 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
That link contains all the documentation you need to accomplish your task. It hasn't changed in years.

Thank you, but just to clarify, do I replace "Notepad" with my program path? Thank you.
February 15, 2013 1:45:44 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
<sigh> Yes.

Hi. I can't find the Windows NT Resource Kit....any help? Thanks a lot.
October 20, 2013 7:41:29 AM

ex_bubblehead said:

I have just one question, with Windows Server 2012 being just 10 days shy of 1 year old, how has this method been the solution unchanged for years?

Furthermore, i too am looking for this solution, and the above linked solution is not it, i am looking to set Teamspeak 3 Server x64 as a startup (without logging in) program so i can let Windows Server 2012 do its thing with updates with no fear of drawn out down times.

I hope this thread gets bumped until a solution presents itself.
October 20, 2013 7:47:19 AM

Kamikazi2142 said:

ex_bubblehead said:

I have just one question, with Windows Server 2012 being just 10 days shy of 1 year old, how has this method been the solution unchanged for years?

Because a lot of the underlying functions in Windows Server have not changed over the years.
Specifically in this case, starting an application as a service. The wording in the relevant dialog boxes may have changed slightly, but the concept is exactly the same.
October 20, 2013 8:02:20 AM

none of the programs needed to make it into a service are in Windows Server 2012, this is why i posted what i posted.
January 27, 2014 3:42:20 PM

I would suggest contacting Microsoft technical support. Be sure to have your valid product key handy. Seriously... server OSes are not meant for idi0ts. Please visit apple.com to buy something you can handle. Or go and hire a consultant before you really screw something up.
February 4, 2014 12:06:11 PM

Kamikazi2142 said:
YouMustBeRetarded said:
I would suggest contacting Microsoft technical support. Be sure to have your valid product key handy. Seriously... server OSes are not meant for idi0ts. Please visit apple.com to buy something you can handle. Or go and hire a consultant before you really screw something up.

Wow, that was incredibly rude. With that attitude you obviously know how to do it, so i ask politely, please tell me how you did this? Currently my domain is hosted on a laptop that i use for DNS addressed game servers, i am a few days away from launching my website and private email... so i ask again, oh holy master of binary, how do i do this?

I should ignore him/her since that's their only post and only seem to have signed up to be a PITA!

Also, @youmustberetarded, not impressed with the name.
February 5, 2014 8:58:32 AM

mi1ez said:

I should ignore him/her since that's their only post and only seem to have signed up to be a PITA!

my apologies if i've upset you.
February 5, 2014 11:01:33 AM

That poster is no longer with us.
February 5, 2014 12:08:32 PM

Kamikazi2142 said:
mi1ez said:

my apologies if i've upset you.

I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about youmustbe...!

You asked a legitimate question and they only joined to put you down.
February 5, 2014 2:53:24 PM

Locking, this thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
!