Bad Company 2 Beta Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

drums101

Distinguished
Yesterday I picked up my copy of the Bad company 2 beta. I overall liked alot of things but i felt a little disappointed. The first thing that I noticed was the graphics. To me they didnt look that good. I felt like I was playing battlefield 2 all over again. I had the in game settings set as high as they go on 1920x1200 and 8xaa. When I watched the video of the single player mission in the jungle village I was blown away by the graphics. this level not so much maybe cuz its snow? I also felt like the guns looked bad and they were too high up on the screen. A good example is the M9 its almost at the top of the screen lol. My last disappointment was no prone. Everytime i would snipe i always wanted to go prone and couldnt. I felt exposed just being able to crouch.

What do you guys think about the beta so far??

Solution
LOVED IT!!!

Played it all last night. I think that it looks a little dull because it is a snow map so there is a lack of color and foliage (running at 1900x1080 all high and 4xAA). Also the blum effects kinda blurr the screen a bit. The game does need prone, but I believe Dice said they will be adding that later to the PC version only. The destructable envirement gets pretty crazy nothing like being held up in a building defending yourself when the whole building colapses on you. I can't wait to get the full game and try the other game modes, maps and unlocks.

BTW F*&% MW2

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
LOVED IT!!!

Played it all last night. I think that it looks a little dull because it is a snow map so there is a lack of color and foliage (running at 1900x1080 all high and 4xAA). Also the blum effects kinda blurr the screen a bit. The game does need prone, but I believe Dice said they will be adding that later to the PC version only. The destructable envirement gets pretty crazy nothing like being held up in a building defending yourself when the whole building colapses on you. I can't wait to get the full game and try the other game modes, maps and unlocks.

BTW F*&% MW2

Solution

drums101

Distinguished
yea i love the destructible environments....i hope ur right about the graphics i saw a vid of a jungle level and it looked sick...do u know of a way to change the talk and team talk keys? also is there somewhere in game to tell u ur ping?

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

They have already had one minor patch.

You should be able to go into the control options and change the talk buttons.

God I wish they would release another map for beta or at least another game mode. This game is freaking SICK!!! MARCH 2 needs to come faster :)

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Well it is in Beta... Im sure most of the server interface issues will be resolved with a patch by launch date.

BTW Spinach you will be the first person I knife on March 2 :kaola:

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
not sure, just heard they were giving out thousands of keys. I got these keys off another server company you may want to try them:

CTSL-R8J7-MKTJ-WK8L
BD4N-V3LT-SJ8X-57EM
CESZ-9XQA-RQKH-QQ6C
HTYX-EEW4-LELU-V6Q
329L-A7RJ-CVM6-FFZ6
9BVY-RSQR-MZKR-9FR6

Its worth a try...

you can try this site as well

www.i3d.net/bf-bc2-beta-keys-signup.php

it says they have 0 left right now but they may be giving out more soon.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I broke down and canceled my amazon order and hooked up with Steam for a beta key. This game is pretty good so far. Just after one night, I am addicted to it.

My favorite part of it is that it feels responsive like BF2 but keeps the faster pace combat of 2142. I also really like the sound improvement. It is so realistic now it really helps to suck you deeper into the game.

I like how they took the knife out of the inventory and made it a melee. At first I was like...ahh, it is COD deja vu but it is so much more responsive than switching to it as a weapon as you had to do in the previous BF's. I also like how the animation feels like the knife stabs something rather than the pansy slashes that never seem to connect in BF2/2142. It is almost the exact same knifing as COD now but I think it is a good improvement. People may complain about this but it is easier to knife now.

The same goes for the frags. Much more responsive now that you don't have to select them first.

An odd thing I noticed was that the medic kit gets the big support gun. It just seems so odd compared to 2142 and BF2 where the medics had the lighter guns. For the first night playing, I was forgetting that I was a medic and was throwing out med packs as if they were ammo. :heink:

This is probably a beta thing but the mouse scrolling would not invert for me. I think also that the scrolling through the weapons to select them is still a bit awkward. I wish FPS would just adopt the Crysis suit selection mechanics. Oh well :??:

Strangly, Rush is a good gametype; a good mix of BF2 and CS:S really. Hard for attackers to win, although I've seen well organized teams pull it off...Might just be the map though...

Weapons need to be re-balanced, ASAP; all guns are far too accurate at range by default (Engineers should NOT be able to hit snipers across the map...).

Combining kits was a great idea, as it cuts down on some of the clutter that plauged BF2. Medic and Support got combined, as did Spec-ops and Sniper and AT and Engineer. Should open up matches to some more exotic weapon combos...

Anyone who's played a BF game should be able to step right in. I'm calling FPS of the year.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I think being able to knock walls down really helps for the attackers. It helps open up spots where defenders can camp the entire game so that the attacking team can move in. I am finding that the destructible environment actually helps move game play along where there isn't too much of the stale mates where two teams get stuck at a certain point on the map.

I agree with the weapons. The assault and engineer guns seem to have a pretty long range despite their iron sights. It feels like they also have the same damage. I like how they are actually useful though. In 2142, the base weapons were all absolute crap and there was no reason to use them once you got an upgrade. It also made it hard to get a leg up in the game vs anyone with an unlock. Hopefully that is a little better in BC2 but we will have to wait for that one.

^^ To be fair, those classes weren't meant for combat. I personally liked the fact Engineer/AT couldn't go on massive kill streaks, as those were specialty kits. Heck, BF2 Special Forces was worth the purchase just for the P-90, which made the AT kit usable as a combat class...

At least the engineer kit is limited to 20 shots per clip, but you get teh SCAR-L WAY to early...I'd argue its easier to hit a target with ironsights then it is with a sniper rifle at this point...

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah I was actually using the engineer kit as an assault kit last night. It is pretty lethal right now so you can just run around and pop everyone pretty easily. Like you said, the only limiting factor with it is that it has a small clip. I wouldn't be surprised if they back the dps down on that one.

I miss my claymores for the sniper though. Are those unlocks now? I haven't looked into the unlock tree yet. Also...they really need to get the prone going. The fancy pantsy ghillie suits are a waste if you can't lay low.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Love this game, been playing the beta for a few days and I already have about 800 kills, I have heard that the final game will ship with much better textures (they were removed to help lower the overall size of the beta download)

Also, it runs great in Dx11, all maxed out 1920x1200 4xAA 16AF I am getting anywhere from 60-100 fps in game, and there will probably be some optimizations in the form of a patch, or in the actual retail release.

So, who wants to get a small clan/squad setup for March 2 ???

Eh, I'm considering (with a few others) of getting our clan re-formed. I know from experiance that eventually, people start to get on eachothers nerves; hence the reason I'm semi-retired from competitive gaming. BC2 looks to be the game that might convince me to return though. I REALLY like what I see.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Let's do this gamer, get it together, we'll start passing out fliers. I know 2 guys who would join as well. One is my twin brother, he's pretty good at shooters, and I think my 1.75 CSS KDR can speak for itself.

Edit: Well, of course as a squad I would be much more obj. oriented.

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I am sooo psyched. I didnt play BF2 but I was into 2142 and I LOVE the feel of BC2.

I like the objective base-ness compared the the camping trend. This is deff a game to compete in. However. I think that knifing is a little hard. Prob just that I havent installed a new gfx card yet and im running on low :??:

Looking forward to release.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
After my second night of playing, I think this game is better than BF2 and 2142. I know for sure that I won't go back and play 2142 or BF2 now that I can play bad company.

I think Dice did a perfect job on updating the mechanics but still having it feel like a battlefield game. Their intent was to go after the COD market and I think the definitely will with this one. I can't wait to see the other maps that come out.

Fatal...you think the knifing is hard? It is Mickey mouse knifing compared to 2142 and BF2. I can foresee some BF knifing experts complaining about it because it is too easy now.

wossum

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I have been playing for a couple of days and am loving it! Like the destructible environments, and improved sound. Am missing having prone in the beta, but I think we can survive without it for now.
Looks like it will be another worthy addition to the battlefield series.

Status
Not open for further replies.