clamchowder

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2003
My friend has a problem with his BIOS and wonder if anyone can help him out. He has an Abit kx7-333R mobo and a 1900+ Athlong xp. He bought this about 2 years ago. Couple days ago, he flashed his bios because his pc has been acting strange lately. After the flash, his pc won't go into windows at all, it gives him a blank screen. The pc boots up to where it's about to go into windows, that's where it stop. He is running windows xp. His mobo comes with a CD that has the driver, utilities the stuff that you need to get it going. It also comes with a awdflash on the CD. Question is can he use the awdflash on the CD to flash the BIOS again? If not, where are his options?

Thanks in advance.

mso_chicago

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
Are you absolutely sure you flashed the right BIOS? You can definitely reflash back to the older BIOS revision and its a good place to start (other than checking to make sure all of your settings in the new BIOS were correct for your hardware configuration). Also, its good practice to reflash in small steps, in other words, if you're going from BIOS 1 to 10, you should flash from 1 to 4 then to 7 and then to 10.

clamchowder

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2003
mso_Chicago

I dont know how the guy flashed the bios, but I'll let him know that he can reflash his old bios. That's weird that his pc can bootup but won't go into windows. Will reinstalling windows without reflashing the old bios help?

mso_chicago

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
It happens more often than you think - that's why most manuf. tell you not to flash the BIOS unless the new one cures a problem you may be experiencing. Writing good BIOS code is difficult at best and its easy to make a simple change that has unintended consequences. There's just so many different hardware combinations possible out there. Reinstalling windows MAY help, especially if there have been a lot of programs added/deleted to the system over time, but I would reflash to the old BIOS first and then gradually re-flash to newer BIOS' and see if that helps the system stability.