GA-7NNXP peculiarities

bairdjc

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I just upgraded to a GA-7NNXP. Everything went fine however I have a couple interesting questions;

1. Gigabyte placed a capacitor VERY close to the CPU socket and it prevents 2 of my coolers from use. The capacitor blocks the cooler from being seated. The coolers I'm talking about are a Volcano 9, AND the RETAIL (!) AMD cooler for this chip (2700+). Has anyone else had this problem, or are my HS's too big? Why would Gigabyte make a board that doesn't allow the use of a retail HS? My solution - I had to cut a 1/2" cube out of one of the corners of the HS.

2. My volcano doesn't seem to "press" hard enough on the core of the CPU - meaning I don't think there's surface/surface contact. I'm using AS3 as a compound and (I think) it's bridging the gap. The CPU seems to be running hot (52 oC). On my previous board (Soyo KT400 Dragon) it seated fine. I am wondering if this is another Gigabyte thing (given the previous capacitor problem)?

3. After finally figuring out how the usb header on the MB is wired, I connected it to the front panel of my case. Among many usb devices, I have a Lexar Jumpdrive (pen drive). It works (XP detects it fine) when it is plugged in any of the rear usb ports (of 4), but it will ONLY WORK in the front ports (2) when there is also another device connected to other front port. When you unplug the other device, XP no longer detects the Jumpdrive. I am wondering...... is this because of incorrect wiring, a product-specific issue (Lexar), or a power issue?

Thanks in advance;

mso_chicago

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
1. I have a 8knxp and while my cooler worked fine (Vantec Aeroflow), I have heard others complain about the capacitor issue on Gigabyte boards. I would replace the one you have.

2. Is the 52c at idle? This is pretty high - my p4-3ghz runs at 38c idle and about 42c-46c under load. I think you should replace your cooler.

3. Check your ground leads on the USB connection.

bairdjc

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Thanks for the input. I just got this board, and I read alot of reviews, and it is here to stay; The capacitor issue was just wierd; I have never had that problem before, but it's nothing I would return a MB for (unless it was a real problem).

As far as the cooler goes, I'll wait it out for awhile and see what happens... then the next cooler I get I'll make sure that it will fit.

Does your board have the capacitor I am talking about?

Thanks

mso_chicago

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
I have 2 on mine and the clip for the cooler just clears them. You may want to think about replacing the cooler sooner rather than later b/c it could lead to stability problems at those temps.

bairdjc

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Do you have any suggestions? There are oodles of HS and coolers out there.... one thing I do know is that the cooler can't be more than, say, 60 mm in the direction of the locking lever arm; the retail HS and the vulcano are about 70 mm and I had to cut off a good 1/2" (12.7 mm). It doesn't really affect the performance of the cooler, but nevertheless I'd like to get the temps down as well.

I've been reading HS reviews, but they are all rather large; all 70 to 80 mm at least.

Thanks;

bairdjc

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I'll check out the cooler you linked; I'll have to measure the board first, though. Are there any reviews for this?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I have the same motherboard and used the same fan. I had big problems system would shut it self down after running 5 min or so. I had to wait a while to boot up as cpu needed to cool. I pulled the HSF and noticed some of the artic silver was not making complete contact.

Well we all know how dangerous that is. I got rid of the volcano 9 its not good for that motherboard. I am using one of those jet7 things and everything works fine now.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

TRENDING THREADS