Sign in with
Your question

Please Help Me Out, New at comps

Last response: in Motherboards
December 19, 2003 12:55:13 AM

Hi this will be my first comp to build on my own. Please tell me if there is anything i can change for my benifit without spending any more money.. already cost me 550. Thanks.

Aspire Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case w/ 350W Power Supply, Model ATXB5KLW-AL/350 - Retail
Specifications:
Form Factor: Standard ATX
Drive Bays: External 4 x 5.25" - 2 x 3.5" Internal 4 x 3.5"
Expansion Slots: 7
USB/IO: 2x USB 2.0 Ports on Front Panel (see pics)
Case Fans: Side Panel UV LED Blue Fan and Top Panel UV Blue Fan with Matching Color Custom-Made Fan Grill
Power Supply: 350W Power Supply for P4/P3/AMD
4 Blue LED Lights on Front Panel and Blue Tint Front Acrylic Panel and Auto Paint Job on Case Body for Sleek Looking

ABIT nForce2 Ultra 400 Motherboard for Socket A AMD Processors Model "NF7-S" RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: AMD K7 Duron/Athlon/Athlon XP Processors
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP-T
FSB: 266/333/400MHz
RAM: 3x DIMM for Max 3GB DDR200/266/333,2x DIMM for Max 2GB DDR400
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 33/66/100/133 Max 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS2,2xCOM,1xLPT,SPDIF Out,6xUSB2.0(Rear 2),2xIEEE1394a header,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: SoundStorm APU(Dolby 5.1) + 6-Channel AC97 CODEC
Onboard LAN: 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA, RAID 0
Onboard 1394: 2 Ports by Cable(See pics)
Form Factor: ATX

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail
Specification
Model: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Core: Barton
Operating Frequency: 2.08GHz
FSB: 333MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.65V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: Retail Box (Heatsink and Fan included)

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
Specification
Manufacturer: Corsair
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

MAXTOR 60GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 6Y060M0, OEM Barebone
Specifications:
Capacity: 60GB
Average Seek Time: 9.3 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: SATA 150
Features: Maxtor Shock Protection and Data Protection Systems
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Remark: OEM Barebone

Samsung Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model SW-252FENB, OEM Bulk
Specifications:
Write Speed: 52X CD-R, 32X CD-RW
Read Speed: 52X CD-ROM
Interface: Internal IDE/ATAPI
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows 98SE/2000, ME, and XP
Features: Reduces noise and vibration with DVA (Dynamic Vibration Absorber)
Remark: OEM Bulk Package (see pics for details)

Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy LS Sound Card -Retail
Specifications:
Channels: 5.1
Max Sampling Rate: 96KHz
Signal-Noise Ratio: 100dB(SNR)
Digital Audio: 24-bit
Polyphony: 1024 Voices
PC Interface: PCI
Connectors: Analog/Digital Out(5-Channel SPDIF Output),Line-in,Line-out,Mic-in,GAME/MIDI,Telephone Answering Device in
Package included: See pics
Special Features: EAX Advanced HD,DirectSound 3D,Dolby Digital

More about : comps

December 19, 2003 11:35:02 AM

Case:
cheap, generic power supplies can often mean unstable systems. You may be better off getting a case with no power supply and buying a Fortron Source, or enermax PSU seperately. I'm not too much of an expert Cases themselves, any ATX one would do, but some have a much better design when it comes to accessing all the insides of your PC easily. I'll let others recommend here.

Mobo:
Good choice.

CPU:
I would suggest getting a Barton 2500+ instead of the 2800+, for two reasons: 1) It costs less 2)by simply changing the Bus speed to 200Mhz (400DDR) it will effectively become a XP3200+. whereas the 2800+ would need changes to the multiplier - but the new Bartons are apparently multiplier locked, so would require physical modification of some sort. Yes, this is overclocking, but a 2500+ to a 3200+ is a very easy and extremely common overclock. If you have no wish to overclock, then stick with the 2800+ if you like...

RAM:
PC3200 Ram is designed for operation at 200Mhz (400DDR), and the best performance is always attained by running processer Bus and RAM at the same speed, so if you are not going to overclock at all, you could instead get PC2700 Ram and save a little cash. Although as I say above, I'd recommend sticking with PC3200 so you can overclock the processor :smile:

HDD:
Some manus make quieter drives, but IIRC the 8Mb Maxtors are good performers.

CDRW:
Never used Samsung drives, so I can't comment on how good that one is, but Lite-on drives are good (they make drives for a number of big-name manufacturers anyway)
Also, why no DVD-ROM? That enables you to watch movies, plus prepares you for any software that comes on DVD, <i>and</i> gives you the ability to copy straight from one CD to another.

Sound Card:
That's a good card, but to be honest the onboard sound on the mobo you've chosen is as good, so you might as well not bother with a separate card at all! :smile:

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
December 20, 2003 10:26:08 PM

I'd agree with ChipDeath and go with a Fortron PSU. I've had problems with off-brand PSU's in the past. It's worth a little extra cash.

Good choice on the MOBO. SATA is pretty nice.

I might suggest getting a second CD drive. I never watch DVDs on my computer, so I wouldn't suggest buying a DVD drive. CD drives are only about $30, and it'll let you burn directly from one CD to another.

I've got the Sound Blaster Audigy, and it's a real nice card, but unless you've got some relatively high-quality speakers to back it up, it's probably not worth the money. I'd just go with the onboard audio unless that's real important to you.
!