Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
755 is the best chipset for A64, according to OC Workbench. 655TX is fastest chipset for P4, according to Anandtech. 748 is wiping the floor with other chipsets. So, why aren't we seeing the top grade boards for these top performing chipsets?

<A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/sis/sis755/755-8.htm" target="_new">As most traditional partners of SiS usually view SiS chipsets for low end boards and implement BIOS that can't be tuned for performance, this would greatly undermine the potential of this chipset. Lets hope that the manufacturers make a complete 3-phase design board with voltage controls and implement the necessary features to make it a feature packed board.</A>-OC workbench

That's right, it's motherboard manufacturer's holding these chipsets back. And since they respond to customer demand, the responsibility for pushing this technology to the forfront is YOURS.

Unless you want to live with more VIA horror stories, or pay Intel to stuff their shirts a bit more.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Hopefully you'll see some of the smaller board makers like DFI, Chaintech, and Shuttle put out some SiS based boards. One could assume that they aren't under as much pressure from Intel and Via as some of the bigger mobo makers. They have less to lose if they start producing SiS based boards. These little guys could really find their niche. And when people see that an $85 board is beating a $150 board, hopefully that will get the ball rollin' for SiS.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Leadtek had a 735 board a while back (when the 735 was current), some name like 7350KDA or something...it was a great board but few bought it. These companies don't get the name recognition of Asus, Abit, etc.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Perhaps they need to market better? I don't know. One thing for sure is that these smaller mobo makers are just a little slower to come out with new boards than Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. I think this is a tremendous advantage for the big boys. When something new comes out, the hardcore enthusiasts feel the need to get their hands on them. Anytime a new chipset comes out Asus is the first to market with a board just about every time.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Anandtech's test showed Asus's new 655TX board (not even on the website yet) is the fastest P4 board around, and one of the best overclockers too! This is a strange turn for Asus, the company who nearly ruined SiS's reputation with the poorly designed P4S8X

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Wait for nForce3 250. Then SiS 755 will find it's place only in value mobos.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i agree, my asrock with the 748 sis chipset is awesome! the only complaint i have is that it doesnt have some of the features of the aopen AK77-8X Max board i bought for my wife's puter, like serial ata and a third ide connector,first one i have ever seen with 3 ide connectors, not raid, but just a third ide, although i havent figured out how to make the third ide connection function yet, nothing is said in the manual about it....hmmm anybody have any ideas? crashman? would like to see it work:) the aopen has a via chipset, apollo kt400 and has alot of tweakability in the bios for volt settings and such, more than the asrock, but the asrock seems to be faster, oh well, guess you cant have it all! i am quite happy with the asrock, which by the way i bought from fang( a fellow community member) you can trust this guy to deliver what he says he will! thanks fang!

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
IBM uses SiS chipsets...........pffffft.....NASTY!!

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
actually sis isnt all that bad, i had a pentium with a sis chipset that served me very well for a very long time.

Also black_cat who said DFI was a small manufacturer? DFI makes TONS AND TONS of oem boards.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
I myself use a SIS 648 chipset on a MSI MB without any problems for over a year. Now, if I can just get this 9800 PRO to function at a sensible temperature without overheating...all would be heaven!

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
People knock SiS and continue to buy VIA. That's like knocking GM and buying a Yugo.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
never owned anything via and more and more i see i probably never will. Actually come to think of it i have only owned three brands of chipsets intel, sis and another old brand for my 386.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
UMC perhaps?

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Been using SiS boards since I switched to DDR RAM. Got a question. I switched out my old ECS K7S5A ver. 1.0 for the Pro ver. 5.0 and I noticed that it now has a 166 FSB setting for the processor. Does that mean that I can run an Athlon XP with a 333FSB?

I got the Pro for free.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>Just horsing around!!!<font color=blue></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not really sure, the chipset should handle it but I'm not certain on the board. I'd try it!

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
This thread is worth a BUMP

And here's the Anandtech Article
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1930&p=1" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1930&p=1</A>

<font color=red>
Barton 2500+ @ 10x222 = 2225MHz
A7N8X Dlx Rev 2.0
Kingston Hyper-X 2x256MB DDR500 @ CL2.5-4-3-7
MSI Ti4600 GPU/Memory : 300/660MHz
IBM IDE 80GB + Seagate SATA 2x120GB
</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheMask on 12/24/03 02:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

superpsa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
Yeah, I've got then non + board too. Now that they've released some faster Beta BIOSs over at OCWorkbench it makes me want it more ;)

AMD Is An Anagram Of MAD, Intel Is An Anagram Of INLET, Cyrix...Ah Who Cares?

TRENDING THREADS