Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I just put together the following system:

Abit IS-10
P4 2.6C
512MB Kingston HyperX PC3500
Seagate 120GB HDD ATA100
Radeon 9500 Pro (unlocked and overclocked)
Sony DVD+-RW
Lite On DVD-ROM
Fortron Source 530W PSU
Cooler Master CA-ATC620B

This system is a secondary system that I plan on using for LAN parties and home entertainment where this case will fit nicely into my stereo cabinet. I'm hoping to use it with Tivo so I can record movies, etc. to DVDs. I haven't quite figured that out yet but that's a different story.

Anyhow I'm writing this because I have yet to see a review on this mobo and I have a few complaints. Rather foolishly I blindly bought this board because it had all the features that I needed and I've never in my life had a problem with an Abit board.

The IS-10 doesn't come with Firewire but I won't really be needing that so I don't mind. So I got everything together without any problem (a miracle in itself). Once I got WinXP on it I started to tweak. I downloaded the latest BIOS from Abit and flashed it. Again, all went well. Then I was going to see what kind of an overclock I could get. I was shocked to find that it offered absolutely no overclocking. None. The overclocking leaders of the world, Abit, incorporated no overclocking capabilities into this board! Well, I realize it's a micro ATX board but come on! It's almost stupid not to be able to overclock a P4. Well, at least I can tweak the RAM timings a bit. Wrong again! I kept getting a checksum error and it wouldn't boot. I reflashed and cleared the CMOS several times. Sometimes it would boot, sometimes it wouldn't. This drove me insane. Sometimes the RAM would show up as CL2, other times CL2.5. I decided to flash the BIOS back to the previous version and I was able to run the RAM at 2-5-3-2. Hours of wasted time. :mad:

The long and short of it is that this board doesn't overclock and the new BIOS is crap. Otherwise it is rock-solid stable.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Oh, yeah. I have a question too. I have all of the headers hooked up to the front panel except the microphone. According to the manual pin 1 is for Audio Mic and pin 2 is for Audio Mic Bias. The wires on the case read Mic In and Mic Power. Do I hook up Mic Power to the Audio Mic Bias pin and Mic In to the Audio Mic pin or vice-versa?

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

jaydoubledub

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hey, I know this is an old thread, but, how did/do you like that case? I have been looking for a mATX case with two external 5.25" bays. The one you have listed seems almost perfect. I have an nMediaPC 1000b case now. It works, buuuuut, yeaaah...

TRENDING THREADS