Do you have Fallout 3 and want to help?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Well, after emailing a few saved games to Bethesda on why my game crashes at the same point every time, I got an answer that my saves were corrupted and they couldn't even load them. I find this to be a bunch of crap since I have both XP and Win 7 RC installed and I can load the saved game into either OS's install.

What I'm looking for is confirmation that my saved games are not corrupt and that they will load on a completely different set of hardware. It would be great if none of the hardware I have is the same as yours like someone with a core iX or AMD system and nVidia GPU. Also, I'm curious if the game crashes on someone else's system. If you are willing to load up my game I email, please let me know.

My system is:
Intel C2D E5200
Asus P5Q-Pro

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
For anyone who has their game freeze up randomly:

The game engine has some issues with processors that have more than 2 cores. You can force the game to only use two of them and it will stop the freezing. I haven't had it freeze once since I did this several days ago.

Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
Find the line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

change it to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

Add another line after it and insert:

iNumHWThreads=2

This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
If there's any doubt I haven't tried all the known fixes, rest assured I have. Spent many hours in the bethesda support forums. Started a thread with 40+ responses and over 1900 reads. I've had the FAQs read and reread and seen all the normal stuff. Thanks for the suggestion though plasma.