My system wont post -seekin help

Nevermore

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Greets,

Please forgive me for my ignorance, and many thanks to any who can offer advice or assistance.

I just put together my new system... and now it won't post.

After I put in the CPU+coolin fan/ram/video card... i plugged it in and it would post and count the ram just fine.

A few hours later I put in the hard drive and cd-rom and started to try and install windows... after the installation started the computer locked up (the keyboard lights quit responding...)

I tried again with the same problem... then started switching out the ram under the assumption it might be a bad ram chip.

After trying this a few times then the computer just quit posting... and it wont turn off unless i hold down the power button for like 5 seconds.

I'm not sure how to test/determine if i screwed up my cpu in the process of putting it and the fan on the mobo... or even what else to try...

Reaching desperation...

Thanks guys...

Reverend Nevermore

---

Asus A7V600 mobo
AMD 2400+
256 ddr333
asus gf fx 5200

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, it sucks to be you. It sounds like it COULD be a power supply problem. Then again it could be any number of other things. If you have a local shop that will diagnose it for you for a $20 bench fee, and you have the $20 pocket money, it would be well spent.

Many of us are highly experienced in system building, but most of us have spare parts lying around to test with, etc. I'd hate to recomend any particular part to be replaced and have it be the wrong part, costing you money and getting you nowhere.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I assume you've tried clearing the BIOS? If you can get it going, make sure you go into the BIOS and select "setup defaults"...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!