Which M/B to buy - Abit An7 or Asus A7n8x Deluxe??

paradigmshift

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2003
I'm building up a new system, and can't decide between these 2 boards. Want to buy soon. They're about the same price. 2600+ Barton, want to overclock it, but also need it to be stable.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

There aren't many reviews on the An7 yet. It seems that it might be better at O/cing, and has the useful Guru software, but has less features and the first version bios isn't as stable. The Asus is supposed to be very stable, gets great reviews, and I think version 2 has better O/cing options. Not sure if the Abit's onboard sound is as good as the Asus, either.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Well let me start by saying that I'm slightly biased as I am running the a7n8x deluxe with all the bells and whistles. On this board there are many overclocking options in the bios but you'd better get your cpu really quick as those bastards at AMD are locking the mults. Unfortunately this is not something that can be compensated for in the bios. Either the 1.0x or the 2.0 version of this board will do 400 fsb however 1.0x requires a bios flash. I've had this board for about 9 months and while the first rev did have many problems most of these have been identified and resolved by now. So there's my biased review of the asus board. You should also go to nforcershq.com and check the reviews there as you'll get more in depth reviews of each board . Good luck.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9200 WDCaviar 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200
"There is no magic server pixie dust."

paradigmshift

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2003
Thanks, STG, I really sappreciate your reply. From what I have read there, the AN7 does have a few probs being a new board, but all that means is that it's a decision between the Nf7-S v2 and the Asus :) The Nf7-s is also a bit cheaper, but I don't mind spending extra for a good m/board

BTW What is your graphics card like, I was thinking of getting one (no $$$ left for a higher-end one)

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I would buy ABIT NF7-S v2.0

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>