Sign in with
Your question

For ATi Users How Do You Do This ?/& a couple Crysis Questions

Last response: in Video Games
February 1, 2010 12:53:25 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCrZ_jCo-cI&feature=rela...

I'm wondering if this is good for your computer to volunterly change the rates and performance of your computer. Seems like if you dont know your stuff you could cause your computer to be unstable if done without care/knowledge. I want to get that program so I could possibly do what he just did before he started playing Crysis

BTW, I'm new to Crysis.. I was wondering I just got Crysis the original version. And I don't have so many servers that are gernerally located close to my location. Not even 1. I've got about 100 servers but most of the servers are located around europe & they're ither coded with a password or they have a different code

So far with reserching I've came up with downloading v1.2 and v1.21 Hotfix. Since v1.2 is a combo with the first one. Will this grant me as many servers up to date just with Crysis?

Also what benefits does Crysis Wars have over Crysis? Is it basically the mp version of Crysis with more vechiles & guns aswell with maps.

As far as mods go what is more Beneficial to upgrade your version of graphic settings, the CCC mod I was told of or Lifesis ?

Thanks, responds & helpful advice will be appriciated :D 
February 1, 2010 1:38:30 AM

That is called overclocking. Overclocking is what you call it when you make your hardware faster than factory settings. It gives you better performance but the side affect is that the components heat up quite a bit more and can become really unstable. There is a lot to it and if you are too reckless, you can easily burn something up.

It can be done pretty safely though if you don't go overboard. In my current rig, I overclocked my cpu, gpu, RAM, and motherboard and it has been running smooth for 2 years.
February 1, 2010 3:18:39 AM

SpinachEater said:
That is called overclocking. Overclocking is what you call it when you make your hardware faster than factory settings. It gives you better performance but the side affect is that the components heat up quite a bit more and can become really unstable. There is a lot to it and if you are too reckless, you can easily burn something up.

It can be done pretty safely though if you don't go overboard. In my current rig, I overclocked my cpu, gpu, RAM, and motherboard and it has been running smooth for 2 years.

Unreal, Yea everything was pretty obvious from when you said overclocking. I just didn't lnow that you can volunterly change all the settings whenever. I thouht it was like changing the valve timing on an engine if you know what i mean. It seems to be open freely, i was expecting something out of my world. I hope to OC when I get my new gpu n psu.
Related resources
February 2, 2010 8:19:47 PM

If you overclock at moderate levels where you aren't burning things up, the only theoretical drawback to it is that you are shortening the lifespan of your hardware (and not to mention voiding the warranties but no one can tell unless you mess around with a BIOS). But to be honest...a lot of overclockers update their systems every few years anyway so they don't care if a CPU goes from a 10 year lifetime to a 5 year lifetime.

The people in the video used the software that comes with your ATI card called Catalyst Control Center. ATI makes it pretty easy to overclock GPUs since it is an option in the program. CPUs are a little more tricky because they have a lower heat tolerance than GPUs so you need a good heat sink for cooling and a good motherboard to handle voltage and temperature increases. Along with all of that, you have to consider a computer case with a lot of fans to get the hot air out!

Welcome to the obsession of OCing.
February 2, 2010 9:16:07 PM

haha, more like I got hypnotized instead of putting on an obessesion. Obessession will follow after I get my hands on that Catalyst Control Center. I do recall this, when I had my old computer[Lost it 5 days ago] I had to get a new driver for my GPU, and I had to download the CCC. Yet I was only inteding to get the latest driver for my GPU, I didn't even know you can OC by using the CCC. Very intresting and helpful, Whenever I get my computer back I'll have to go over it a couple of times. But even before I start to OC I've gotta start reading about OC, stuff like Voltages, Now about the Mobo since you mentioned it, & like how long how much OC is safe/performance wise.

It's good thing you mentioned the lifespan too, I don't know much about cpu life span's but I guess with the OC it'll last me 3-4 Years. With the OC im going to need a better cpu cooler ? or an heat sink.

Such with upgrades, i'm hoping to do some upgrades for the next 2-3 years such as get that Vapor-X 5870, a CF capable PSU, because i'll consider to CF the 5870 in about a year. Now i've read about CF, OC & A/C other minor udates occured to me like having good fans, a good cpu cooler ... [btw for the note is the heatsink the cpu cooler ?,most likely ill research it but if your willingly to save 2 minutes of my time then ill congrats you with some love] But anyway, the whole modification skeem is almost like a food chain, every upgrade will have an another component that will need perform to the other components load.
February 4, 2010 2:05:35 PM

D_ii_4_I3_L_o said:

With the OC im going to need a better cpu cooler ? or an heat sink.

Such with upgrades, i'm hoping to do some upgrades for the next 2-3 years such as get that Vapor-X 5870, a CF capable PSU, because i'll consider to CF the 5870 in about a year. Now i've read about CF, OC & A/C other minor udates occured to me like having good fans, a good cpu cooler ... [btw for the note is the heatsink the cpu cooler ?,most likely ill research it but if your willingly to save 2 minutes of my time then ill congrats you with some love] But anyway, the whole modification skeem is almost like a food chain, every upgrade will have an another component that will need perform to the other components load.

You can lightly OC a CPU with the stock heatsink but I wouldn't recommend doing so without keeping a very close eye on the temps. You don't want to go down the road of getting damage from overheating. For a healthy OC of +1 GHz...you will need a better cooler.

The heat sink is the mass of metal (usually aluminum but sometimes copper) that sits on top of a chip that draws the heat away. In between the two, there is a conductive thermal paste that helps the heat transfer between the two surfaces. Yes, it is the "cpu cooler" but they are also put on any other chip imaginable to keep them cool like GPUs, RAM, and mobo chipsets.

You can get liquid types that circulate coolant through chillers or simple ones with fans. The best kind of fan-based heat sinks have the direct touch heat pipe design. Check out FrostyTech's top 10 list and you will get a good idea of what they look like and which ones are top notch. They are far superior to the blocks that you get as a stock cooler.

Yeah the food chain is exactly it. You can OC your your CPU but then you may need to adjust the voltage of your north bridge support the higher frequencies. Also, if you have to think in terms of bottlenecks. You can OC the bageebus out of your GPU but if your CPU is like a P4, then it won't do any good since your GPU is CPU limited at stock speeds. There is a TON of info on the overclocking section here definitely check it out if you want to get into it. Best of luck.
!