Why doesnt my fallout 3 work on my computer

ooymon

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
when i start fallout 3 on my computer it gose to the menu i click on the 'start new' and it ses that something has stop it from working i dont know what to do i don't know much about computers so i have know idea my computer is a window 7 and its bran new computer so i know it can hold it. It has 250gb

core i7 ownage

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Translation: When I start Fallout 3 game, it goes to main menu and I click "Start new" button and it says something has to stop it from from working. I don't know what to do and I don't know much about computers. I have no idea about this.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

wow now that was REAALY useful. :non:

thanks for gramatical correction though

isamuelson

Distinguished
First off, what are your system specs (CPU, motherboard, memory amount and type, graphic cards plus amount of memory, sound card, etc) as well as operating system (Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 32 or 64-bit)?

You can also check the Windows application logs. You can get to them by going to the Event Viewer. Go to Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and then Event Viewer. Look through the application logs and search around the date and time the crash happened to see what it says.

If you can't find something there, then look under the System errors node as well to see if any errors occurred during the date and time you tried to play the game.

I can't even begin to guess what your problem is, but to me, it sounds like either a driver issue or else, your machine is not powerful enough to run the game (video card might be below minimum specs, etc). But until you post your machine specs and look into the error log, we can't do much to help you as you've haven't given enough info. Just stating "it won't work and says something about not being able to run" isn't enough. Exactly, what is the exact message saying?

flash113

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Alright dude i'm taking over from here because im fallout 3 geek :) (/scarcasm)

Anyway dude first off post your specs here we will review.

Reinstall the game download the patch the lastest !

ENGLISH US:
http://download.zenimax.com/fallout/3/patches/1.7/Fallout3_1.7_English_US.exe

ENGLISH UK:
http://download.zenimax.com/fallout/3/patches/1.7/Fallout3_1.7_English_UK.exe

Once you reinstall the game download your select patch and install do this.

Install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Redistributable (Install this for the latest C++ runtime library's)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyID=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

Download DirectX Runtime Updater (Chooses your required verison)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

--------------------
After you install these items i listed download this.

Microsoft Games For Windows LIVE - Redistributable (For Windows Live Required To Play)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=69B2C4DB-0765-4980-9C1B-8F781AD50BD0&displayLang=en

After you install that create a sliver account log in and download the required updates install them (after entering your valid cdkey)

QUICK EDIT:
Forgot to mention if you get a missing dll error simply download your select dll file from here and extract to your game folder (C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3)

http://www.dll-files.com/

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
so wait you have to download the latest patch or i whont work when i try to download the patch itg ses it cant find something in my lybray

Was it a dll file? Did it say something about live?

I had a problem that said I was missing xlive.dll

I had to find a copy and put it in the fallout 3 directory, then I could patch the game.

flash113

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
I also had a error when in the wasteland i had my graphics up and it crashed to desktop because i couldnt render as fast as it was pharseing lowering it to very high fixed this issue try doin that see if that fixes it.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Honestly, we're trying to help but every time we ask you for your system specifications (CPU, memory, video card,etc), you won't give us that information. Without answering all the other questions we've asked, how are we to help diagnose your problem?

We all want to help, so if you'll answer these following questions, we'll do the best we can to help you:

■What is your CPU type and speed (AMD, Intel, x86, x64, etc)
■What is your motherboard or computer manufacturer
■What version of windows are you running (Windows 7, Xp, Vista, 32-bit, 64-bit)
■What video card do you have (GPU and amount of memory)
■Sound card
■Have you downloaded the latest drivers for everything
■Exactly what is the error message you are getting

THe usual cause for the game refusing to start and giving the MS error is that your video card is not supported (ie. trying to use an Intel CHipset onboard graphics which does not support Hardware transform and lighting - THe game checks for support while launching and if the check does not pass the game stops and give the MS error - So as the others have asked What are your system Specs ?? (ie. what video card do you have and is it an INTEL onboard video chipset ??)

BluntObjection

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Try another route perhaps?

ooymon, launch your Fallout 3 game. When you get the error.
Press CTRL+PRINT SCREEN
Open up Microsoft Paint
Press CTRL+V
Save the image. Go to www.imageshack.us and upload the picture you just created. Once done, copy and paste the link to the image.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Okay. Here's what you need to do because without the rest of the specific information on your machine (CPU speed and type, Video card GPU and memory, etc), we can't really help you.

You can find out more info on your machine by doing the following:

1. Click the Start Ribbon and then click Control Panel
2. In the Control Panel, select System and Security
3. Under the System heading, click Check the Windows Experience Index
4. Click on the View and print detailed performance and system information link

This will give you details on things such as system information, storage, graphics, network. Take a screen shot of that and post it where we can view it or else write down everything you see in there (including CPU type, speed, graphics card, etc) and post them here.

My take is you probably don't have the correct hardware to run it, but you haven't answered any of our questions that we need (at least you haven't been very specific in your answers) and so we don't have enough information to help you out.

Just one example of why Consoles have become the Major game play format over PC gaming !