Sign in with
Your question

Why doesnt my fallout 3 work on my computer

Last response: in Video Games
February 1, 2010 2:03:42 AM

when i start fallout 3 on my computer it gose to the menu i click on the 'start new' and it ses that something has stop it from working i dont know what to do i don't know much about computers so i have know idea my computer is a window 7 and its bran new computer so i know it can hold it. It has 250gb
February 1, 2010 7:04:25 AM

more details would come helpful.
m
l
February 1, 2010 12:54:41 PM

Translation: When I start Fallout 3 game, it goes to main menu and I click "Start new" button and it says something has to stop it from from working. I don't know what to do and I don't know much about computers. I have no idea about this.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2010 1:23:48 PM

core i7 ownage said:
Translation: When I start Fallout 3 game, it goes to main menu and I click "Start new" button and it says something has to stop it from from working. I don't know what to do and I don't know much about computers. I have no idea about this.

wow now that was REAALY useful. :non: 

thanks for gramatical correction though
m
l
February 1, 2010 1:51:24 PM

First off, what are your system specs (CPU, motherboard, memory amount and type, graphic cards plus amount of memory, sound card, etc) as well as operating system (Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 32 or 64-bit)?

You can also check the Windows application logs. You can get to them by going to the Event Viewer. Go to Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and then Event Viewer. Look through the application logs and search around the date and time the crash happened to see what it says.

If you can't find something there, then look under the System errors node as well to see if any errors occurred during the date and time you tried to play the game.

I can't even begin to guess what your problem is, but to me, it sounds like either a driver issue or else, your machine is not powerful enough to run the game (video card might be below minimum specs, etc). But until you post your machine specs and look into the error log, we can't do much to help you as you've haven't given enough info. Just stating "it won't work and says something about not being able to run" isn't enough. Exactly, what is the exact message saying?
m
l
February 1, 2010 10:24:21 PM

Did you download the latest updates?
m
l
February 1, 2010 10:33:01 PM

dwave said:
Did you download the latest updates?

whats the latest update
m
l
February 2, 2010 12:21:22 AM

Alright dude i'm taking over from here because im fallout 3 geek :)  (/scarcasm)

Anyway dude first off post your specs here we will review.

Reinstall the game download the patch the lastest !

ENGLISH US:
http://download.zenimax.com/fallout/3/patches/1.7/Fallo...

ENGLISH UK:
http://download.zenimax.com/fallout/3/patches/1.7/Fallo...

Once you reinstall the game download your select patch and install do this.

Install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Redistributable (Install this for the latest C++ runtime library's)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyI...

Download DirectX Runtime Updater (Chooses your required verison)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

--------------------
After you install these items i listed download this.

Microsoft Games For Windows LIVE - Redistributable (For Windows Live Required To Play)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

After you install that create a sliver account log in and download the required updates install them (after entering your valid cdkey)

QUICK EDIT:
Forgot to mention if you get a missing dll error simply download your select dll file from here and extract to your game folder (C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3)

http://www.dll-files.com/
m
l
February 2, 2010 2:22:47 AM

wow thanks
m
l
February 2, 2010 2:31:50 AM

so wait you have to download the latest patch or i whont work when i try to download the patch itg ses it cant find something in my lybray
m
l
February 2, 2010 2:50:21 AM

OOymon, please post your system specs. I've asked for it and flash has asked for it.

Also, did you purchase the game on DVD or did you download it via Steam or Direct2Drive?
m
l
February 2, 2010 1:48:18 PM

Quote:
so wait you have to download the latest patch or i whont work when i try to download the patch itg ses it cant find something in my lybray

Was it a dll file? Did it say something about live?

I had a problem that said I was missing xlive.dll

I had to find a copy and put it in the fallout 3 directory, then I could patch the game.
m
l
February 2, 2010 2:06:32 PM

What video card do you have?
m
l
February 2, 2010 7:09:54 PM

i downloaded it and i cant git the patch for some resen it sea im missing a fill i think it says 5264
m
l
February 2, 2010 7:18:02 PM

I also had a error when in the wasteland i had my graphics up and it crashed to desktop because i couldnt render as fast as it was pharseing lowering it to very high fixed this issue try doin that see if that fixes it.
m
l
February 2, 2010 8:35:19 PM

Some people (namely Ooymon) cannot be helped. Hooked on phonics , he is not.
m
l
February 2, 2010 9:57:52 PM

all i wanted is help dont be a dick
m
l
February 2, 2010 10:13:45 PM

ooymon said:
all i wanted is help dont be a dick

Honestly, we're trying to help but every time we ask you for your system specifications (CPU, memory, video card,etc), you won't give us that information. Without answering all the other questions we've asked, how are we to help diagnose your problem?

We all want to help, so if you'll answer these following questions, we'll do the best we can to help you:

• What is your CPU type and speed (AMD, Intel, x86, x64, etc)
  • What is your motherboard or computer manufacturer
  • What version of windows are you running (Windows 7, Xp, Vista, 32-bit, 64-bit)
  • What video card do you have (GPU and amount of memory)
  • Sound card
  • Have you downloaded the latest drivers for everything
  • Exactly what is the error message you are getting
    m
    l
    February 3, 2010 1:16:35 AM

THe usual cause for the game refusing to start and giving the MS error is that your video card is not supported (ie. trying to use an Intel CHipset onboard graphics which does not support Hardware transform and lighting - THe game checks for support while launching and if the check does not pass the game stops and give the MS error - So as the others have asked What are your system Specs ?? (ie. what video card do you have and is it an INTEL onboard video chipset ??)
    m
    l
    February 3, 2010 2:51:33 AM

ya idk any of that i know my meory is 250 and i have 140 left and its a windows 7 and intel
    m
    l
    February 3, 2010 8:34:29 AM

Try another route perhaps?

ooymon, launch your Fallout 3 game. When you get the error.
    Press CTRL+PRINT SCREEN
    Open up Microsoft Paint
    Press CTRL+V
    Save the image. Go to www.imageshack.us and upload the picture you just created. Once done, copy and paste the link to the image.
    m
    l
    February 3, 2010 10:47:54 AM

Okay. Here's what you need to do because without the rest of the specific information on your machine (CPU speed and type, Video card GPU and memory, etc), we can't really help you.

You can find out more info on your machine by doing the following:

1. Click the Start Ribbon and then click Control Panel
    2. In the Control Panel, select System and Security
    3. Under the System heading, click Check the Windows Experience Index
    4. Click on the View and print detailed performance and system information link

This will give you details on things such as system information, storage, graphics, network. Take a screen shot of that and post it where we can view it or else write down everything you see in there (including CPU type, speed, graphics card, etc) and post them here.

My take is you probably don't have the correct hardware to run it, but you haven't answered any of our questions that we need (at least you haven't been very specific in your answers) and so we don't have enough information to help you out.
    m
    l
    February 3, 2010 12:29:15 PM

I love following this thread.

It's like were all teaching a monkey how to deal with a computer. (no offence intended, its just really funny)
    m
    l
    February 3, 2010 1:12:39 PM

N.Broekhuijsen said:

It's like were all teaching a monkey how to deal with a computer. (no offence intended, its just really funny)

Just one example of why Consoles have become the Major game play format over PC gaming !
    m
    l
    February 3, 2010 1:22:39 PM

JDFan said:
    Just one example of why Consoles have become the Major game play format over PC gaming !

yeah well im fine with that, as long as PC gaming always remains.

oh and FO3 is awesome!
    m
    l
    February 3, 2010 1:29:33 PM

FO3 was OK but I still prefer Oblivion for the replayability and modding - the atmosphere in FO3 just gets too depressing after awhile (Plus I don't really care for the Slo-Mo shooting mode !)
    m
    l
    February 3, 2010 1:51:09 PM

yeah oblivion was better. I just missed all the guns. :) 

the slomo shooting in FO3, it exists? really? oh.

no im just too skilled to use it, and so is every other PC gamer.
    only use it with nukes cuz i cant be bothered to predict a path.
    m
    l
    February 4, 2010 11:08:50 AM

ok well here you go

manufacturer is dell
    model inspiron 1545
    proessor pentium (R) dual core 2.10GHz
    ram is 3.00 GB
    system type is 64 bit operating system

is that what you wanted
    m
    l
    February 4, 2010 11:56:22 AM

ooymon said:
    ok well here you go

manufacturer is dell
    model inspiron 1545
    proessor pentium (R) dual core 2.10GHz
    ram is 3.00 GB
    system type is 64 bit operating system

is that what you wanted

Okay, looking up your model, it uses an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD which has NO dedicated memory what-so-ever to the GPU. Therefore, it has to use your system memory (3 gigs).

At what resolution and at what detail level are you running the game? I have a feeling you're trying to run the game at the highest possible resolution and detail settings and what's happening is, you're running out of system memory, causing the game to crash.

Try playing the game at the lowest possible settings to see if that stabilizes the game. If it does, then start to increase details one by one until you find out what the max detail settings your laptop can handle. I'm pretty sure that's your problem.
    m
    l
    February 4, 2010 12:18:32 PM

I dont think that even meets the requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
    o Windows XP/Vista
    o 1GB System RAM (XP) / 2GB System RAM (Vista)
    o 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    o Direct X 9.0c compliant videocard with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better / ATI X850 or better)
    Recommended System Requirements:
    o Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    o 2 GB System RAM
    o Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)
    o Supported Video Card Chipsets:
    + NVIDIA GeForce 200 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 9800 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 9600 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 8800 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 8500 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 8400 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series
    + NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    + ATI HD 4800 series
    + ATI HD 4600 series
    + ATI HD 3800 series
    + ATI HD 3600 series
    + ATI HD 3400 series
    + ATI HD 2900 series
    + ATI HD 2600 series
    + ATI HD 2400 series
    + ATI X1900 series
    + ATI X1800 series
    + ATI X1600 series
    + ATI X1300 series
    + ATI X850 series

Lowest is a 6800 GeForce, and i still think that that is more powerful than any intel GMA chip...

sorry man.
    m
    l
    February 4, 2010 12:54:37 PM

Actually you may be in Luck according to the Intel Hardware Transform and lighting is supported by the GM45 (which is the chipset used in your GM4500HD)

Quote:
    The following Intel® integrated graphics controllers support hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L):

* The integrated graphics controller of the Intel® G35, G41, G43, G45, G965, GL40, GL960, GM45, GM965, and GS45 Express Chipsets
    * Intel® HD Graphics

All other Intel® graphics products do not have hardware support for T&L. In most games, transform and lighting calculations can be performed on the processor with acceptable performance. A small number of games that specifically check for hardware T&L support may fail to run.

So it may be able to run at very low settings though you need to have the latest drivers from intel in order for it to work. Go to the intel websirte and download the latest drivers fro you system - Go Here and select your operating system and download the appropriate driver - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=... - then install and retry the game. (NOTE: not sure what kind of performance you'll get since as mentioned it ha no video mempory of it's own so you will probably need to run at very low settings. )
    m
    l
    February 5, 2010 12:46:01 AM

when i try to the patch it sais oredil 5360 could not be found
    m
    l
    February 5, 2010 11:32:28 AM

Not sure what patch you're trying. As we said, reduce your resolution and detail settings in the game to the lowest possible setting and see if that fixes the problem.

If it doesn't, the only other recourse (short of getting a better computer) is to uninstall and reinstall the game and try running the game at the lowest settings.

The main issue that really is screaming out is your video card and it's complete lack of any dedicated memory for the graphics itself.
    m
    l
    February 6, 2010 12:42:50 AM

idk it dosent work im just giting rid of the game
    m
    l
    February 6, 2010 1:26:05 AM

ooymon said:
    idk it dosent work im just giting rid of the game

I can guarantee you that it's the video card. It's definitely below the minimum specifications AND having no dedicated memory really hurts the performance.
    m
    l
    February 6, 2010 1:29:15 AM

I am going to agree with the video card thing. Integrated=fail for high graphic gaming.
    m
    l
    February 6, 2010 1:47:55 AM

N.Broekhuijsen said:

:finger: Some of us get by just fine thanks. :kaola: 
    m
    l
    February 18, 2010 10:09:33 AM

Hi. I too am having alot of trouble with Fallout 3. The game crashes whilst loading a new game. I did everthing Flash 113 said to do and it continues to be a *****.

My Specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Core 64bit @2.66Ghz
    RAM: G-skill 6.00Gb DDR3 1800Mhz
    Video: Dual Video cards - Nividia Gforce 8800GT 512DDR3
    Mother board: Gigabyte S-series EPH45T-DS3R
    Sound: Onboard
    Hard Drive: 500gigs (who cares plenty of space)

Operating System: VISTA
    m
    l
    February 18, 2010 10:22:35 AM

Also, according to the event viewer I have the following warning:

Title Fallout3.exe (1.7.0.3) XLive 2.0.0687.0 (PANORAMA_V2.00_RTM.090421-2351) C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\xlive.dll
    0x80004005

Games for Windows - LIVE DLL
    C:\Windows\system32\msidcrl40.dll 5.000.737.6

And the Following Error:

Faulting application Fallout3.exe, version 1.7.0.3, time stamp 0x4a40f18b, faulting module Fallout3.exe, version 1.7.0.3, time stamp 0x4a40f18b, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x006ddf7b, process id 0x1c58, application start time 0x01cab09474a1d64d.
    m
    l
    February 24, 2010 11:37:40 PM

Hello all,

sorry for my English, I am facing same technical issue than ooymon:

install without any problem, I can reach main screen but when I click on play I can see the clock running then a balck screen and go back to windows with this error message: Fall out 3 has stop working.

-Of course I am trying with low settings(ie without V-sync and in window mode) and I uninstall and re install the game a few times.
    -I have updated the game with patch 1.7
    -I have install all elements given by flash113 below:
    Install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Redistributable (Install this for the latest C++ runtime library's)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads [...] laylang=en
    Download DirectX Runtime Updater (Chooses your required verison)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads [...] laylang=en
    Microsoft Games For Windows LIVE - Redistributable (For Windows Live Required To Play)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads [...] layLang=en

Driver is the lqst version: The ATI catalyst 10.2

My config:
    Windows 7 64bits build7600
    AMD Phenom2x4 965 BE 3,41GhZ
    4Go DDR3

Oblivion, Left4Dead or Crysis walk without problem!

Any idea what my problem is? Thanks in advance
    m
    l
    February 24, 2010 11:41:05 PM

message from the event viewer for the game crash:

Faulting application name: Fallout3.exe, version: 1.7.0.3, time stamp: 0x4a40f18b
    Faulting module name: Fallout3.exe, version: 1.7.0.3, time stamp: 0x4a40f18b
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x006ddf7b
    Faulting process id: 0xf08
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cab5b94525487a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Fallout3.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Fallout3.exe
    Report Id: 8a78856f-21ac-11df-91d5-e0cb4e43ee58
    m
    l
    !