Sign in with
Your question

PS3 HDD Upgrade Question.

Last response: in Video Games
February 1, 2010 6:30:05 AM

i have the ps3 slim 120gb, the stock HDD is 5400rpm but if i put in a 320gb-500gb 7200rpm will it cause it to overheat too much? and does it void my warranty? also how big of a difference is there in downloading/installing/loading times?
February 1, 2010 6:58:14 AM

Overheating won't be a huge problem as the slimline runs cooler anyway. Won't void the warranty but if you need to send it back, swap it out for your old one, cos if you need an exchange you'll get sent a 120gb back losing your new drive; install/load times will be improved but not massively; download times won't change at all. Rgds
February 1, 2010 7:31:52 AM

ok, as far as backing games and stuff up... what all has to be backed up? just the "Saved data utility(PS3)" folder? and i can redownload any games i purchased or add-ons i bought? do i need to deactivate the account or no since its only the HDD changing and not the system itself?
Related resources
February 1, 2010 8:22:30 AM

Do a system backup, will back up everything 'cept messages and some game data, varies depending on game, if back-up won't save, neither will copying game data; remove drive, replace drive, restore backup; any thing you've previously purchased is available for re-installation if required; no activation/re-activation required, system serial no stays the same
February 1, 2010 8:23:30 AM

ok thanks
February 1, 2010 9:40:01 AM

any games you have bought from the playstation store online will be free to download again afterwards.

The is not much point in buying a faster HDD - bear in mind all you will gain is the odd second or two - and if you are playing games online you will still have to wait for the other players to join.

February 1, 2010 5:08:00 PM

I think I've also read too that you are less likely to have compatibility issues with the 5400 rpm drives since that's stock in the ps3.
!