Access Point Configuration Question

Hello Everyone,

A friend gave me a generic (no-brand - it was used for testing) access
point without any manual or setup software. Now I need to configure
the access security for it, but I do not know the IP address to log
into the AP to set it up. Is there any way I can find out what the
setup IP address for the AP is?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

On 26 Sep 2004 08:00:55 -0700, fx31217@msn.com (Brian V) wrote:

>A friend gave me a generic (no-brand - it was used for testing) access
>point without any manual or setup software.

There should be an FCCID number on the serial number tag. If that's
missing, take a photograph and post it on your web pile. I'm sure it
can be recognized by someone with experience.

>Now I need to configure
>the access security for it, but I do not know the IP address to log
>into the AP to set it up. Is there any way I can find out what the
>setup IP address for the AP is?

Common problem. Lots of options.

Since this is a new installation, you may wanna reset the access point
to defaults with the reset pushbutton.

Does it have the MAC address printed on it somewhere? If so, and you
have some Windoze mutation, run:
arp -s 192.168.1.1 xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
where xx-xx-xx-xx-xx is the MAC address.

Some wireless bridges (i.e. Cisco) are setup to get their IP address
from an initial ping. Turn the power to the device off. Do the above
arp command and run:
ping -t 192.168.1.1
Now, turn on the power. Wait until the light show stabilizes and then
try the IP address.

There are wireless devices that do NOT have a built in web server.
They are configured with telnet or SNMP. This could get messy without
a positive identification.

Some access points get their IP address via DHCP. If you have a DHCP
server on your network, you might find that the access point was
assigned an IP address.

If you suspect that the access point already has an IP address, then
use nmap to scan for used addresses. Note that you'll probably need
to change the netmask to 255.255.0.0 on your computah in order to scan
different class c networks.

nmap -T5 -sP 192.168.1.0/24

Starting nmap 3.55 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2004-09-26
09:56 Pacific Daylight Time
Host 192.168.1.1 appears to be up.
Host 192.168.1.100 appears to be up.
Host 192.168.1.101 appears to be up.
Host 192.168.1.102 appears to be up.
Host 192.168.1.255 seems to be a subnet broadcast address (returned 1
extra pings).
Nmap run completed -- 256 IP addresses (4 hosts up) scanned in 14.951
seconds

You can also sniff the wireless broadcasts with Netstumbler to extract
the wireless MAC address, and then use the same "arp" trick on the
wireless port to assign an IP address as previously described.

You could also just try all the common IP addresses in use. I
suggest:
192.168.0.1 (Dlink)
192.168.0.5 (Ugate 3200)
192.168.0.50 (Dlink DWL900)
192.168.0.254 (SMC2526W AP, Eumitcom)
192.168.1.1 (Netgear etc)
192.168.1.2 (Some Proxim)
192.168.1.20 (SMC 2755)
192.168.1.201 (USR 5430)
192.168.1.240 (Ovislink-AP mode, Linksys WRE54G)
192.168.1.241 (Ovislink-Bridge mode)
192.168.1.245 (Linksys WAP54G)
192.168.1.246 (Linksys WAP55AG)
192.168.1.251 (Linksys WAP11 v2.8)
192.168.1.254 (Linksys WRT54G v1.1)
192.168.2.1 (Belkin, SMC)
192.168.2.254 (Belkin)
192.168.123.254 (USR 8054, Asante)
192.168.254.254 (Cayman, Siemens)
The above list is from my failing memory and some Googling around.
Any semblence of sanity is strictly coincidental. There are probably
more default IP's in use.

Personally, methinks that posting a photo (to a web pile, not the
whole newsgroup) will be less work.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

There should be an FCC number somewhere on it. You could try IDing it
from that, or maybe upload a pic of it somewhere. Someone may recognize it.
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

"Brian V" <fx31217@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> A friend gave me a generic (no-brand - it was used for testing) access
> point without any manual or setup software. Now I need to configure
> the access security for it, but I do not know the IP address to log
> into the AP to set it up. Is there any way I can find out what the
> setup IP address for the AP is?
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Brian

It's almost certainly a 192.168.x.y address. You could try 192.168.0.1,
192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, and 192.168.123.254. You could try a port scan
tool like nmap or solarwinds to try thousands of addresses pretty quickly.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+

"Brian V" <fx31217@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> A friend gave me a generic (no-brand - it was used for testing) access
> point without any manual or setup software. Now I need to configure
> the access security for it, but I do not know the IP address to log
> into the AP to set it up. Is there any way I can find out what the
> setup IP address for the AP is?
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

if DHCP is enabled on it, plug it in and see what gateway address you get
assigned

"Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<3zP5d.141886$hZ3.104157@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> "Brian V" <fx31217@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > A friend gave me a generic (no-brand - it was used for testing) access
> > point without any manual or setup software. Now I need to configure
> > the access security for it, but I do not know the IP address to log
> > into the AP to set it up. Is there any way I can find out what the
> > setup IP address for the AP is?
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> if DHCP is enabled on it, plug it in and see what gateway address you get
> assigned
>

> > Brian

What is DHCP? How do I know whether it is enabled?

Thanks,
Brian