Sign in with
Your question

Ibuypower walmart BYO system

Tags:
Last response: in Deals
September 5, 2012 4:49:58 PM

I was wondering if this computer is a good deal through walmart, they have this thing that allows you to semi-customize a computer through ibuypower. Here's the breakdown:

Case
(NZXT Gamma Gaming Case, Black)
Motherboard & Processor
(Intel Core i7-3770K (4 x 3.50GHz) Processor,asrock z77 Pro 3 motherboard)
Operating System
(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit Edition)
Memory
(2 x 2GB = 4GB DDR3-1333 Gaming Grade Memory Module)
Hard Drive
(500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive)
Graphics Card
(AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 Video Card)
Optical Drive
(24X DVD+/-RW DL Optical Drive)

They don't list the PSU but I'd imagine they'd need to give me something that would be able to power all of that, if need be i can always swap it out but I would hope I wouldn't need to

Final cost after taxes is $810.89

September 5, 2012 9:20:37 PM

I'd pass -- problem with those type systems is most of the parts are overstock poor quality parts that they are trying to pass off as top quality --ie. What brand Ram and what Speed Timings, Voltage, etc. - What PSU brand and rating - and is it enough to power the upgraded GPU you'll be wanting immediately ( the 6450 is very low performance level for gaming ) - Is it a true MOBO or a cut down version (ie. many prebuilts have only 2 RAM slots instead of 4 or other parts left off that full retail boards have) - What HDD and how does it perform compared to other 500GB. drives -ie. is it a low cost "green" drive designed for low power use instead of performance.

Then you look at the price and you can build your own system with better performance and top quality parts for about the same $ and actually get something you'll be happy with the performance of instead of a money pit of pieces you'll replace to get the performance you thought it would give you. For example look at the system builds Tom's puts together in the $500 Price level and make a few additions (ie. upgrading to a better CPU) and you would get better performance for about the same cost.

I'd suggest you post a new thread in the systems Forum (see the sticky on how to post a new build thread) and have the members here put together something that fits your needs and budget and build it or find someone local to put it together for you for a small fee (you can usually find people in your local area (either small shop or hobbyist) that will help assemble a system for a small fee if you do not want to attempt it yourself.
September 6, 2012 1:03:49 AM

Oh I've built my current system but it is about 6 years old now and I was looking for an upgrade. Alot of what you are saying I'd probably very true. I priced all the individual parts that this system comes with and it was only about $50 cheaper not including shipping so I thought it would be a deal but I didn't think about the overstock items and the cut down mobo. After some more research I found that I'd probably be better off going i5 anyways since the difference between the two when it's coming to gaming is negligible. Thanks for dissuading me without looking further into it I was going to buy this either yesterday or today but my girlfriend told me I needed to look into it further. Damn I hate to admit it but she was right haha.
September 6, 2012 3:17:29 AM

LOL - yea if I were you I'd find a way not to admit it to her - but I do agree the CPU that is in it is a bit overkill for the system compared to most of the other parts especially the GPU -- you'll be much better off cutting back on the CPU a bit and spending more of that on a better GPU (which will probably mean a bit more spent on the PSU as well but better that now than after a month or so of having the system and not being happy with the performance and having to buy a new PSU in order to upgrade the GPU.

The good thing is pricing has really dropped compared to what it was last time you built a system and performance is much better so for that type of price you can build yourself a really decent system.
!