COD 4

I have installed as instructed. At this point only want to open the game and not play on line. When I try to open by clicking on the application. Nothing happens. Suggestions on how to make this $49/Dead Horse get up and go? I believe my hardware is sufficient to run the game but.......Thanks in Advance
17 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Could the problem be related to fact I am running Win7? I tried the compatability mode using XP with SP2 but no joy. The opening credits ask what I want to do, click on play single player, screen turns black and I have to reboot computer.
  2. fishhook said:
    Could the problem be related to fact I am running Win7? I tried the compatability mode using XP with SP2 but no joy. The opening credits ask what I want to do, click on play single player, screen turns black and I have to reboot computer.

Are you using Windows 7 (x64)?There are some games that are not compatible with windows 7(x64).Try installing windows 7 (x32).It may or may not work!
  3. Degeneration X said:
    Are you using Windows 7 (x64)?There are some games that are not compatible with windows 7(x64).Try installing windows 7 (x32).It may or may not work!

Thanks for the suggestion. My machine was bought off the shelf at BB and there were no Windows disks it all came pre-loaded. Not sure how to load Win7 x32. Perhaps I will try torun it on a my old desktop - which has XP SP2.
  4. i do run COD4 on windows7 64 bit !!! not problems so far

did u install pacthes 1.1 to 1.7 ?

did u install the game in the "Program Files (x86)" and not in "Program Files" ?
  5. where are you launching it from? I have Vista 64bit with no issues, have you patched fully as mentioned above?
  6. juvealert said:
    i do run COD4 on windows7 64 bit !!! not problems so far

did u install pacthes 1.1 to 1.7 ?

did u install the game in the "Program Files (x86)" and not in "Program Files" ?

No, where can I download these patches?
  7. jay2tall said:
    where are you launching it from? I have Vista 64bit with no issues, have you patched fully as mentioned above?

I am launching it from the desktop - COD 4 Single Player Shortcut. No I have not run the patches mentioned. Don't know where to get them or how to install them. I am Newbie, what can I say?
  8. Do u get an error when you double click the icon ?

Download patches from here
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Call-Of-Duty-4-All-Patches

you need to install patch 1.1 then 1.2 then 1.3 then 1.4 then 1.5 then 1.6 then 1.7
  9. join the BC2 beta and all of you problems will cease to exist.. :D
  10. Except COD 4 is a better game then BFBC2 at least at the moment.
  11. I have downloaded and installed patches 1.1 thru 1.7. The game is loaded in the Program Files (86) location. After running the patches in sequence I double clicked on the desktop shortcut, the screen turned black and the machine locked up. By then I needed some rest and went to bed. Tonight I will, after shutting down and restarting the desktop try again to use the desktop shortcut to open the game. If that doesn't work I will remove the disc from the drive, re-insert and I should have (has in the past) open the menu and attempt to start the game that way. Last time I tried this (before the patches) the screen went immediately black and locked up.
    I am not sure what BFBC2 is and at this point I don't have the time to load another game that everyone tells me will work. I have enough to keep me busy with COD4. This game, COD4, says it will run on my machine, others tell me it should run on my machine, I guess I would like to get it running on my machine before I tackle a new challenge.
    I appreciate everyone's comments as I am learning something new each day. I am willing to try just about anything to make this thing work.
  12. Well, I loaded COD 4 on my old XP Computer and the game loaded and played with only slight stuttering and only during the pre-op sessions. Great game, would still like to have it work on my Win 7 machine but so far not so much. Any other thoughts on how or why I might persuade it to run on the Win7 manchine?
  13. feroxus said:
    Except COD 4 is a better game then BFBC2 at least at the moment.

This is called talking out of your A**. Considering gfx, the gfx engine, online play, the online community. BC2 wins at all of those.
  14. As it stands now as a Beta no its not. One terrible level, graphics are unimpressive, feels clunky, and most importantly isn't much fun at the moment I think level is a big part of it as well as balance issue with the guns etc.
  15. Thanks again for your support. If you have something to add in reference to my problem of running COD4 on WIN7 I would appreciate it. As to the benefits and drawbacks of one game over another I wish I had the time to weigh in on it...but I don't.
  16. Sorry for hijacking the post. I wish I had some sort of idea to help I have it working fine on Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit. If I think of anything I will let you know and will refrain from swaying off the original topic
  17. Appreciate that! I will continue to play on my XP machine but welcome any suggestions from members.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Call of Duty Games Video Games