Should I wait to build?!

vpotluri

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
Can someone clue me in on what is on the way? I am looking to build but I can wait a few months.

1. What is Prescott's arrival date?
2. When are the Prescott supporting mobos coming?
3. When is DDR2 coming?
4. When is PCI-X coming?

I don't want to build now and then realize I have to change the mobo couple of months from now. What is time for all these to be available at the same time? Febraury? March? Thanks.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Can someone clue me in on what is on the way?
Most definitely something newer. Probably faster and maybe a bit more expensive at first.
don't want to build now and then realize I have to change the mobo couple of months from now
Why? With all due respect are you that insecure with yourself you <b>have</b> to have the absolute latest hardware in your case?

If you're willing to wait a few months, why not wait 6 months or even a year? Surely at that time there is going to be some new stuff out. If there's something you can't accomplish with current technology wait. If not, then buy now and be happy. I don't know I guess I'm just weird like that I don't get all googled over "what the next big thing is".

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) February, but the socket should change a few months later
2.) They've been out for months
3.) Probably around 8 months
4.) Been out for years now. You're probably thinking of PCI-Ex (express).

Everything you're looking for will probably be out in 8 months.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Got at lease a year for some of that stuff be pratical in the market.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.775)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/700)