Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Right I installed SP1 a while ago and have noticed a very annoying problem. It installed a second MSN messenger. So now I have the most uptodate msn messenger (which i had already installed) and I also now have an old version of msn lurking about the pc. The thing is the old version of msn doesnt show up in add/remove progs, isnt in the start menu and doesnt bloody show up in the sys tray BUT it does start up when i boot windows even tho ive removed it from start programs. Its annoying me cos if I'm on the net i get ppl saying hi accross msn (even tho im not im not logged on to the normal msn) and if ya dont feel like chatting this is a balls but not only that reason i dont like having my pc doing [-peep-] i dont want it to.

now in taskmanager it doesnt show up as a running program and the 2 things showing in the processes is
msnmsgr.exe which is the version i wanna use &
another process like msgr.exe... running a google search all this process is apparently is an msn toolbar type thing and even if i cancel that process it restarts itslef a minute later.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the messenger that SP1 went and installed cos its driving me loopy. its there but nothing shows it running... its like a bleeding stealth messenger.. and i have fully uptodate antivirus so its nothing like that.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

This is courtesy of Tacktech.com:

Simply click Start ---> Run, then type this command line:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Now, be aware that this works only with Messenger 4.7... so make sure via Windows Update that you have Messenger 4.7. Not only does this remove Messenger, it also completely removes the integration with Outlook Express... so that OE starts faster.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
*looks suspiciously at the line of code to run*

right here goes

*sounds of tapping on a keyboard*

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
excellent. prob sorted, cheers mate.