Co-op games

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Gaming
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
February 4, 2010 12:31:57 PM

Just built a new gaming system, my first in several years. I'm looking for some good co-op games to play with my friend over the internet. I haven't played in several years, so I don't mind older titles, though our systems can handle the new stuff quite well.

What's worth playing? FPS, RTS, anything really. I've been out of the loop so I don't know what has come out over the last few years.

Thanks!

More about : games

February 4, 2010 3:11:37 PM

I remember how co-op was around back in the days of like Quake 2 and then it vanished. Strange how things like that can make a come back.
m
l
February 17, 2010 7:05:53 PM

I play a lot of games with my brother.

First off, if you do not already have it, I recommend using Skype (or some other free voice chat). I do not know how my brother and I survived back in the days of typing messages.

Most recently, we played Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. While the single player campaign may be fun it is a load of awfulness regarding the story line. The on-line play is not bad, but I am and I hate bringing a team down. Where this game shines (in my opinion) is the co-op Special Ops mode. This is just awesome.

Of course, any MMORPG will work. You can build two characters to level together and other characters to play with when your friend is not available. Although we have played a lot of World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings, and City of Heroes/Villians, we are currently playing Dungeons and Dragons On-line. While this game is a lot more complicated than the others, it is free (basically) and fun to mess around with.

Now, if you had three additional people, I would strongly recommend picking up Left 4 Dead or Left 4 Dead 2. These two games are a blast with four player co-op. If you have less than four, the AI does on okay job of filling the other spots. I currently play this with my brother, daughters and son-in-law. The most fun is had when four of us are on-line at the same time.

We also had a good time on a local lan playing the original Battlefield games. I am not sure how these play out over the Internet. We started off with the Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII Demo.

One last one that we have not picked up yet is Borderlands. I have heard a lot of good things about this RPG co-op capabilities.

Hope this helps some.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 19, 2010 9:27:19 AM

If you two are more into character building magic and such you could try Heros of Might and Magic. Depending on where your rigs capabilities lay you could try for 5, or 4.

I highly recommend a castle builder called Stronghold. Great visual audio and game play factors within and it is online multi-player.

You could try a bit of a mixer game called Savage 2. It's a first person shooter/over the shoulder shooter with rpg and omniscient commanding ( like what you would see on starcraft--i.e., see all, create buildings manage resources ect ect. )

You could starcraft, Warcraft, or Diablo 2.

m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2010 3:32:11 PM

Amen to that:

Borderlands is the only proper and amazing coop of recent times. i.e. full quest that exactly mirrors single player, so wicked. Be careful to have a saved player that you only use with your mate, as the game can get all confused if one of you is ahead of the other in the story.

I'm not interested in half baked coops, CODMW2 included as special ops just feels wierd like fighting in a shoe box.

I have never got on with 'vs lan' games, they're tiresome and give little satisfaction, other than a short lived 'ha-ha' i won. So it is with much frustration that there are hardly any recent 'proper coop games' out there.

I guess its harking back to the youth spent at arcade machines palying side scrolling beat em ups.
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2010 3:37:13 PM

Oh i almost forgot, PC LAN revolution going on at:

http://www.tunngle.net/

any pc game thats worth playing with a mate in on there (post install).
m
l
March 3, 2010 4:15:25 PM

Games like CODMW2 and Borderlands don't really interest me. CODMW2 has no dedicated multiplayer servers which is a huge let down and Borderlands is tainted by EA since EA likes to install spyware on your system I wount touch it or any other EA product. And now Ubisoft is having it's programs "call home" all the time in order to work so if you loose internet you can't even play single player.
m
l
March 3, 2010 5:11:45 PM

Counter Strike: Source
Day of Defeat: Source
Left 4 Dead (1 & 2)
Battlefield 2
Call of Duty 2

just a few FPS's
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2010 5:36:41 PM

wfode09 said:
Counter Strike: Source
Day of Defeat: Source
Left 4 Dead (1 & 2)
Battlefield 2
Call of Duty 2

just a few FPS's

Which of those are quest based? i.e. start to finish with progressive story?
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2010 5:42:53 PM

DJRWolf said:
Games like CODMW2 and Borderlands don't really interest me. CODMW2 has no dedicated multiplayer servers which is a huge let down and Borderlands is tainted by EA since EA likes to install spyware on your system I wount touch it or any other EA product. And now Ubisoft is having it's programs "call home" all the time in order to work so if you loose internet you can't even play single player.

forgive me for saying thats a little bity paraniod, everyone knows to turn internet off when you install an EA game and then put Norton to block it from calling home b4 you boot it up; most of the time anyway its only to tell you about DLC. There are further ways and means, but it wouldn't be appropriate to discuss that here. I've never heard of a game that can't work locally, even WinLive allows you to create a local account if your not connected.

The only dedicated server you need is tunngle anyway, anything that tricks your computer into thinking an online server is a lan connection gets my vote.
m
l