Sign in with
Your question

Gaming computer for $500

Last response: in Video Games
February 6, 2010 5:13:22 AM

A friend of mine is buying his first desktop and has a budget of $450-$500.
Can anyone suggest a good config for a gaming computer? He wants a 19" LCD and atleast a dual core 2.8 Ghz processor. He mostly plays driving games

More about : gaming computer 500

February 6, 2010 2:45:06 PM

Not gonna happen with a monitor in the budget, not to mention a OS.

"Intel Build"

Mobo, $90+ "for a decent one"
4G ram $80+
CPU $120+
HDD $50+
PSU $60+
GPU $100-$150+
Case $50+
dvd burner $23+
Monitor $100+ for a good one
OS $109+
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2010 5:24:06 AM

This is a very TALL order to build. While daship's prices are high for an entry bargin system, you're still looking $600 to build with a monitor eating $100+ and the OS doing the same. If the budget is firm, this is the best suggestion I can give for your friend. Mind you, this isn't ideal, but gets a computer in there:

Refurb Acer desktop $330 + delivery and tax
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Factory-Refurbished+...

This monitor with built in speakers for $110:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then its get as much GPU as you can for whatever budget is left. Look for a $50 or less 4650 DDR3, $70 or less 4670 DDR3, or $85 or less 240 GT DDR5.

Other than buying parts from craigslist used, this is a tough spot to be in.

m
l
February 7, 2010 3:58:22 PM

skora said:
This is a very TALL order to build. While daship's prices are high for an entry bargin system, you're still looking $600 to build with a monitor eating $100+ and the OS doing the same. If the budget is firm, this is the best suggestion I can give for your friend. Mind you, this isn't ideal, but gets a computer in there:

Refurb Acer desktop $330 + delivery and tax
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Factory-Refurbished+...;+Pentium%26%23174;+Processor/9720981.p?id=1218159403345&skuId=9720981

This monitor with built in speakers for $110:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then its get as much GPU as you can for whatever budget is left. Look for a $50 or less 4650 DDR3, $70 or less 4670 DDR3, or $85 or less 240 GT DDR5.

Other than buying parts from craigslist used, this is a tough spot to be in.

The prices listed arent for an entry bargain system, is for a decent entry gaming system that can handle games on better then lowest settings. And ya for $500 it cant be done.

Your junk refurb acer link dont even work, not to mention there would be no way to OC it to get a better gaming experience.

The monitor you listed is uglier then sin.
m
l
February 7, 2010 9:18:01 PM

daship said:
The prices listed arent for an entry bargain system, is for a decent entry gaming system that can handle games on better then lowest settings. And ya for $500 it cant be done.

Your junk refurb acer link dont even work, not to mention there would be no way to OC it to get a better gaming experience.

The monitor you listed is uglier then sin.

Thanks for pointing out the link. Turns out the original Acer I linked has sold out and linked in a similar one from Asus but no keyboard or mouse with this one. So that would have to be added.

Can't do attitudes don't solve problems. Here we have a user that needs a complete system to do some gaming on for $500. Closest way to do that is a prebuilt and add a GPU. Here, there's very few but not impossible. OC'ing isn't required nor is a good looking monitor. The OP can take this info to their friend and say this is what $500 can get you and thats it. Unless the OP comes back and says, okay, budget is up to this, I'm going to try to answer their request with the best options available.

m
l
February 7, 2010 11:06:55 PM

skora said:
Thanks for pointing out the link. Turns out the original Acer I linked has sold out and linked in a similar one from Asus but no keyboard or mouse with this one. So that would have to be added.

Can't do attitudes don't solve problems. Here we have a user that needs a complete system to do some gaming on for $500. Closest way to do that is a prebuilt and add a GPU. Here, there's very few but not impossible. OC'ing isn't required nor is a good looking monitor. The OP can take this info to their friend and say this is what $500 can get you and thats it. Unless the OP comes back and says, okay, budget is up to this, I'm going to try to answer their request with the best options available.

Good gaming requires a 3.0 core 2 duo or better, and a decent GPU, and none of the GPUs you listed qualify. Why say well for $500 get this instead of saying, nope, save more $$$ and get what you need want instead of failing the first go around and starting over.
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:44:40 AM

Not everyone has the budget for "Go big or go home." By your numbers, unless they have a $782 budget, its just not worth gaming. Yes, I said this isn't ideal. More of a budget, even just a little, can go a long way. But if its not there, its not there. It might be better to go buy an xbox or play station for gaming.

As to your required specs for good gaming, you have a serious disconnect from what lower end parts are capable. Add that to the fact that racing games don't require near the same muscle as FPSs, a $60 CPU will do just fine along with a $70 GPU on a 1440x900 monitor.
m
l
!