Damn computers just don't make any sense

Fallen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Okay, one of my co-workers brought me her home PC the other day complaining that it would not turn on. The computer is an older Dell PIII, like 650Mhz, nothing special. I figured that it just wasn't posting, so I asked a few questions and clarified that point. No post. After plugging it in and turning it on (no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor), I listened to it power on and post. I figured that it would halt on keyboard error and never boot into Windows, but the sound of it working was all I needed. Seemed to work alright, so I plugged it into my KVM at my desk and did some general cleanup on it (defrag, etc). I also opened it up and blasted out any dust. I gave it back to the lady.

She returns to work the next day telling me that she couldn't get it to work (the video wouldn't come on). I thought that this might be a case of bad monitor or cable, so I looked it over again and gave her a spare monitor to take home and try. Mind you that it worked perfectly in my office when it was plugged into the extra monitor and keyboard.

She comes back the next day with the monitor. "The monitor was fine, the mouse was the problem," she stated.

Hese's my question: why the hell would it have a problem with a broken mouse that it wouldn't have with no mouse at all. Worse yet, it would post and boot fine with no mouse or a busted mouse, but the video card wouldn't work in conjunction with a broken mouse. I'm have no idea what motherboard was in the thing, what chipset it was on, or even what the hell really went on. Does anyone have an explanation that goes beyond the "You're an idiot" that I keep hearing in my mind?

G

That sort of weirdthing happens sometimes. My best guess is that the busted mouse created some sort of electrical problem on your montherboard. Perhaps creating some sort of short circuit not giving enough juice to the video card.
Anyway cant think of anything else...

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Don't have an explanation, but I've learned to just live with weirdness like that... I've had a system where the modem wouldn't connect no matter what I did... until i unplugged the keyboard and it worked just fine. Go figure.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Your problem is what I call electronic ghosts. I had something similar in that the DVD-ROM I installed was defective but told me that the RAM was bad. When I checked the RAM w/ MEMTEST it checked out fine. Finally I disconnected peripherals one by one a very tedious process. Found out later that the DVD-ROM was causing the problem. Weird thing about it is the BIOS recognized it.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>Just horsing around!!!<font color=blue></b>

Fallen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Well I guess that this is all kind of relieving...but I was kind of hoping that I was losing my mind. I had even picked out a very nice straight jacket. Anyway, thanks!

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
That was my intent. Sorry it didn't help. Good luck though. I hope that you do solve your problem.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>Just horsing around!!!<font color=blue></b>