Bioshock NO sound in W7 -- HELP

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I downloaded Bioshock with STEAM. I start game, the first cutsene plays with the plane crash WITH sound. After that in the gameplay there is no sound at all. I tried enabling Sound Mixer in control panel, tried running in many different compatability modes. NOTHING. Installed new realtek drivers. STILL NOTHING.

WHAT DO I DO!
I got w7 x64

bigdaddybey

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I had the exact same problem with the exact same software & OS as you. The fix for me, strange as it may sound, was to plug into my mic jack and start the game. For some reason it turns on the sound. Good luck!

rinty51

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
http://support.take2games.com/help/take2/take2_games/q632

Just got a DELL with RealTek sound and this worked for me

From the Take2 Support site

Enable Stereo mixing, to do this browse to Start > Control Panel > Sound (in classic view). Once done switch to the Recording tab which will show the currently active inputs on your system (e.g. Line in, Microphone). Right click in the clear space below these devices and select the option for Show disabled devices. This should show an additional device called Stereo mixing, right click on this device and select Enable.
http://support.take2games.com/help/take2/take2_games/q632

metaxas

Distinguished
May 21, 2010

This worked for me too bro! Thanks so much.

G

If you are running the game in Windows 7 and don't get any sound after the plane crash intro (this happened to me), you should try setting the compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Sorry but I don't recall the exact path, but start out in My Computer --> C: drive (or whatever drive the game is installed) --> Program Files (x86) --> 2K Games --> Bioshock --> after that I'm a bit lost (my son showed me) but you get to like a properties window where you can make changes to the compatibility.

Hope this helps.

Trevor Goodchild

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I tried most of what I saw here, but the only thing that worked was to plug my headphones (or a microphone) into the mic jack, and once it started I unplugged them and put them in the headphone jack, worked fine.

Andrew Carlson

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

I tried every fix under the sun that people online suggested but nothing was working. i enabled the steroMIX, ran in compatibility mode, plugged in a microphone...... what finally worked for me was downloading and installing the latest DIRECTX from the microsoft website. I am running windows 8 64bit but try it. it may work for you.

Andrew Carlson

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

I tried every fix under the sun that people online suggested but nothing was working. i enabled the steroMIX, ran in compatibility mode, plugged in a microphone...... what finally worked for me was downloading and installing the latest DIRECTX from the microsoft website. I am running windows 8 64bit but try it. it may work for you.

Ryan Mouk

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

This also works for Windows 8 users

mike507

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
i plugged my earbuds into microphone port on front of pc presto it works sound doesnt quit after opening plane crash,i tried everything until i read post tried it it worked bioshock is crazy