Newbie trying to find ideal wireless solution

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 27, 2004 11:14:37 AM

Hi All,

Here is my situation;

I'm running a single PC in the house, with no other network devices. I just
switched internet providers to an ADSL company (was on cable before), and
don't have a phone jack in the 'computer room'. To make a long story
short, putting a new jack in the room or wiring into the room isn't an
option. The closest telephone jack is a good 50 feet away.

So I figured that I would go wireless (modem to wireless router to pc via
usb wireless adapter), and started to do a bit of research and only wound
up confusing myself.

Should I go the router and wireless adapter route? If so, what is
generally better; a PCI or USB adapter? I already purchased a SMC
Barricade Router(G) for $69 (which I can still return if need be).

OR

Should I get a Wireless Access point and plug that into the modem? If I do
this, what device should I get for the PC (a usb/pci adapter or another
wap?)

Ideally the solution should be cost effective.

Any and all comments welcome, as I'm eager to learn as much as possible :)

Thanks,

Mojo

PS: 1 more question, my new ISP provided me with a 'phone line adapter'
which plugs into the telephone jack, and has two outputs. This has me
suspicious - if I plug my adsl in one side and the telephone in the other,
am I hazarding any degredation in performance of the adsl? Would it be a
better idea to just plug the adsl into the wall and say 'bullocks' to using
the splitter? The adapter looks like this...
http://www.bettymills.com/store/images/product/small/ZA...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 28, 2004 2:14:10 PM

use the router you have already,
buy a usb adapter,
put filters on all phone connected devices except the dsl modem.
Generally I don't like usb adapters here in anything but antenna location is
very important with wireless.

"Mojo" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Here is my situation;
>
> I'm running a single PC in the house, with no other network devices. I
just
> switched internet providers to an ADSL company (was on cable before), and
> don't have a phone jack in the 'computer room'. To make a long story
> short, putting a new jack in the room or wiring into the room isn't an
> option. The closest telephone jack is a good 50 feet away.
>
> So I figured that I would go wireless (modem to wireless router to pc via
> usb wireless adapter), and started to do a bit of research and only wound
> up confusing myself.
>
> Should I go the router and wireless adapter route? If so, what is
> generally better; a PCI or USB adapter? I already purchased a SMC
> Barricade Router(G) for $69 (which I can still return if need be).
>
> OR
>
> Should I get a Wireless Access point and plug that into the modem? If I
do
> this, what device should I get for the PC (a usb/pci adapter or another
> wap?)
>
> Ideally the solution should be cost effective.
>
> Any and all comments welcome, as I'm eager to learn as much as possible :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mojo
>
> PS: 1 more question, my new ISP provided me with a 'phone line adapter'
> which plugs into the telephone jack, and has two outputs. This has me
> suspicious - if I plug my adsl in one side and the telephone in the other,
> am I hazarding any degredation in performance of the adsl? Would it be a
> better idea to just plug the adsl into the wall and say 'bullocks' to
using
> the splitter? The adapter looks like this...
> http://www.bettymills.com/store/images/product/small/ZA...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 29, 2004 4:07:55 PM

For a desktop machine I prefer the USB adapter which allows you to more
easily change the direction of the antenna. Otherwise it's sitting down on
the floor behind your desk or wherever.

!