Newbie trying to find ideal wireless solution

Hi All,

Here is my situation;

I'm running a single PC in the house, with no other network devices. I just
switched internet providers to an ADSL company (was on cable before), and
don't have a phone jack in the 'computer room'. To make a long story
short, putting a new jack in the room or wiring into the room isn't an
option. The closest telephone jack is a good 50 feet away.

So I figured that I would go wireless (modem to wireless router to pc via
usb wireless adapter), and started to do a bit of research and only wound
up confusing myself.

Should I go the router and wireless adapter route? If so, what is
generally better; a PCI or USB adapter? I already purchased a SMC
Barricade Router(G) for $69 (which I can still return if need be).

OR

Should I get a Wireless Access point and plug that into the modem? If I do
this, what device should I get for the PC (a usb/pci adapter or another
wap?)

Ideally the solution should be cost effective.

Any and all comments welcome, as I'm eager to learn as much as possible :)

Thanks,

Mojo

PS: 1 more question, my new ISP provided me with a 'phone line adapter'
which plugs into the telephone jack, and has two outputs. This has me
suspicious - if I plug my adsl in one side and the telephone in the other,
am I hazarding any degredation in performance of the adsl? Would it be a
better idea to just plug the adsl into the wall and say 'bullocks' to using
the splitter? The adapter looks like this...
http://www.bettymills.com/store/images/product/small/ZAOP9704.JPG
2 answers Last reply
More about newbie find ideal wireless solution

    use the router you have already,
    buy a usb adapter,
    put filters on all phone connected devices except the dsl modem.
    Generally I don't like usb adapters here in anything but antenna location is
    very important with wireless.

    "Mojo" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Here is my situation;
    >
    > I'm running a single PC in the house, with no other network devices. I
    just
    > switched internet providers to an ADSL company (was on cable before), and
    > don't have a phone jack in the 'computer room'. To make a long story
    > short, putting a new jack in the room or wiring into the room isn't an
    > option. The closest telephone jack is a good 50 feet away.
    >
    > So I figured that I would go wireless (modem to wireless router to pc via
    > usb wireless adapter), and started to do a bit of research and only wound
    > up confusing myself.
    >
    > Should I go the router and wireless adapter route? If so, what is
    > generally better; a PCI or USB adapter? I already purchased a SMC
    > Barricade Router(G) for $69 (which I can still return if need be).
    >
    > OR
    >
    > Should I get a Wireless Access point and plug that into the modem? If I
    do
    > this, what device should I get for the PC (a usb/pci adapter or another
    > wap?)
    >
    > Ideally the solution should be cost effective.
    >
    > Any and all comments welcome, as I'm eager to learn as much as possible :)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mojo
    >
    > PS: 1 more question, my new ISP provided me with a 'phone line adapter'
    > which plugs into the telephone jack, and has two outputs. This has me
    > suspicious - if I plug my adsl in one side and the telephone in the other,
    > am I hazarding any degredation in performance of the adsl? Would it be a
    > better idea to just plug the adsl into the wall and say 'bullocks' to
    using
    > the splitter? The adapter looks like this...
    > http://www.bettymills.com/store/images/product/small/ZAOP9704.JPG

    For a desktop machine I prefer the USB adapter which allows you to more
    easily change the direction of the antenna. Otherwise it's sitting down on
    the floor behind your desk or wherever.

Wireless Wireless Networking