Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fans of OLD school games VS NEW

Last response: in Video Games
February 8, 2010 11:56:30 PM

Whats your favorate old school game or what do you think will be a classic in the years to come?

Is there a newer version and how does it compare?

More about : fans school games

February 9, 2010 5:25:33 AM

It depends on what you classify as "old school"? I've been gaming for 15+ years, so in my case "old school" would be the stuff I played in the 90's. For others, anything they haven't played in a week is old..... ;-)

Anyhow, here are some of my favourite oldies (in no particular order)

- The Command and Conquer series (pre C&C3, which I don't consider old-school)
- Dune II (and the remake Dune 2000)
- Syndicate
- Strike Commander
- The Wing Commander series
- The Quest for Glory series
- TIE Fighter
- Wolfenstein 3D
- Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2

There's probably more, but these are the first ones that come to mind.
Score
February 9, 2010 1:53:41 PM

Zelda 3 on the SNES
Zelda 4 on GBC
Super Mario World
Sonic 1 on Mega Drive
Alleycat
Starglider

Upcoming classics? Sonic 4!
Score
Related resources
February 9, 2010 3:23:36 PM

Alleycat was fricking awesome, i actually rediscovered it yesterday along with 10rogue.

Watch out for dogs..... :/ 
Score
February 9, 2010 5:14:11 PM

Fallout 1 and 2....

Man, I wish they would make sequels...

:)  :)  :) 
Score
February 9, 2010 6:39:14 PM

jaguarskx said:
Fallout 1 and 2....

Man, I wish they would make sequels...

:)  :)  :) 

Is that mega-sarcasm or did Fallout 3 pass you by?
Score
February 9, 2010 6:40:18 PM

mi1ez said:
Zelda 3 on the SNES
Zelda 4 on GBC
Super Mario World
Sonic 1 on Mega Drive
Alleycat
Starglider

I didn't even think of listing my NES games...
Score
February 10, 2010 12:14:11 AM

mi1ez said:
Zelda 3 on the SNES
Zelda 4 on GBC
Super Mario World
Sonic 1 on Mega Drive
Alleycat
Starglider

Alley Cat"?!?!? What game was at? Remember Bubsy for SNES? THat game was awesome!

I only remember Alley cat the cartoon which came before tigersharks but Ive never played or even heard of the game until now, is this the same?
Score
February 26, 2010 9:06:03 AM

liquidsnake718 said:
Alley Cat"?!?!? What game was at? Remember Bubsy for SNES? THat game was awesome!

I only remember Alley cat the cartoon which came before tigersharks but Ive never played or even heard of the game until now, is this the same?

Alleycat was a game that ran on an 8086 with no slowdown. The PC didn't even have a HDD! you played a cat who ran around washing lines hopping into windows to cause mischief but there was dog outside and a broom in all the rooms trying to push you out the window. It was my first experience of PC gaming.

Just did a search for CGA graphics, and Alleycat is on the page as an example of pallette 1 CGA on wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter#Sta...

Check out the article on it here though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Cat_(video_game)
Score
February 26, 2010 1:51:05 PM

I still reckon Wizball from the C64 was goodie.
Score
March 17, 2010 3:22:17 AM

Rampage AND Carmen Sandiego were on the CGA! Those were the first games i ever played on a PC.. my dads at the time!
Score
March 17, 2010 4:42:45 AM

Descent.
Score
March 17, 2010 9:59:14 AM

All time Favourite "Old school" game has to be "Elite" from 1984...

That game was so far ahead of its time. I still play variations and the original from time to time now.

As far as sequels go it gets very very murky. There were the linear sequels, there was frontier, which had some great ideas and more great programming - a whole galaxy to explore where you could literally land on every planet that existed, genuine newtonian physics etc, Alas the combat was "challenging" - largelly because of the newtonian model. Then there was First Encounters (the less mentioned the better). I still play frontier every few years...

Between the linear sequels were a HUGE number of releases of the original elite, on different systems, and multiple versions for the same system. My favourite of these was the PC Elite+ - colour graphics and a cool picture of your ship upgrades :D  and a cool display when you achieved "Elite".

The version I play most now days, is a modern fan made remake called oolite, it combines the original gameplay with new inventions. Graphics can range from original wireframe to pretty decent modern quality depending on what you want. The fan remade version allows far more missions \ freedom etc etc than you ever had in the original. Its great that you can even design your own ships, your own space stations etc etc.. All the original features are intact, but it brings so much more to the table as well.
Score
March 17, 2010 11:29:49 AM

the following is a list of games that should be made compulsory for every gamer to play before being allowed to play any current gen games.

unreal tournament ('99)
final fantasy 7
starcraft
max payne
monkey island
broken sword
Score
March 17, 2010 11:39:24 AM

tarquinbiscuitbarrel said:
the following is a list of games that should be made compulsory for every gamer to play before being allowed to play any current gen games.

unreal tournament ('99)
final fantasy 7
starcraft
max payne
monkey island
broken sword

I would add Command & Conquer and Dune 2 because of their influence on RTS gaming. Also, no flight sims? It seems to be a forgotten genre...
Score
March 18, 2010 2:14:58 PM

Quake took up so much of my time when I was in high school. The original Team Fortress (TF) mod for Quake is what I played just about every day back then. I started playing on Mplayer, then switched to QWTF. Any old-school TF players on here? And I don't mean TFC.
Score
March 19, 2010 4:33:15 PM

Let me see:

From the early to mid 80's:
Ultima and Wizardy on my Apple ][ and Apple //e - man those were great!
Taxman - Pacman clone for Apple. Awesome game.

Mid to late 80's:
Ninja Gaiden on my NES
Revenge of Shinobi, Phantasy Star, Sonic on my Genesis

90's and onward:
Mortal Kombat on the PC (none of that censored crap either - full blood and fatalities!)
X-Wing!
Leasure Suite Larry!
More Ultima (6, 7, 8 and 9 plus the Underworlds!)
Doom and Quake (loved the Painkeep mod. The can of beans was awesome!)
Score
March 24, 2010 7:27:20 AM

Up to now, I still play Age of Mythology and its Titans expansion...
Score
March 25, 2010 4:18:25 AM

Half Life!!!! the original...

Started playing it around 99, played it until a few months ago when my computer finally died (built the computer to play half life ha)

It may not be that old (only 11/12 years old now) but it will ALWAYS be one of my favorites.
Score

Best solution

March 25, 2010 3:40:52 PM

I would list many PC games from 1990s and maybe a few from this century.

Wolfenstein, Eye of the Beholder, Dune 2, The Elder Scrolls, Ultima Underworld, Ultima, Lands of Lore, Stonekeep, Doom, Baldur's Gate, Diablo, System Shock, Terranova, Colonization, Star Siege, Mechwarrior, Mech Commander, Duke Nukem, Star Control, Wing Commander, Privateer, Freespace, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces, Rebel Assault, Mi-29, F-16, Falcon, Armored Fist, Steel Panthers, Panzer General, Fantasy General, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, UFO: X-Com, Magic Carpet, Magic the Gathering, Command & Conquer, Red Alert, Total Annihilation, Thief, Monkey Island, King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Mission Critical, Blade Runner, Shannara, Waxworks, Alone in the Dark, Death Race, Death Rally, Space Hulk, Terminator Rampage, Terminator: Skynet, Quake, Battlecruiser 3000 AD, Settlers, Heroes of Might and Magic, Dungeon Keeper, Menzoberranzan, Ravenloft, Mortal Kombat, One Must Fall, Jagged Alliance, Syndicate, Cannon Fodder...

I've played many more but these are the most memorable ones. If I had to pick three, I would choose Baldur's Gate 2, Mech Commander 1 and Neverwinter Nights 1.
There are many nice new school games too. For me "new school" is 2002-2010.

Nowadays I enjoy Navyfield and sometimes play Face of Mankind or Neverwinter Nights. Navyfield is a nice modern massively multiplayer game which reminds me of some great old school games.

March 25, 2010 5:51:40 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I still reckon Wizball from the C64 was goodie.

The Commodore 64! My friends are knockin' down my door, to get into my Commodore 64! I loved playing Moon Patrol, Frantic Freddie, Summer Games, Pac Man, Dig Dug, Frogger, Centipede, geez what else was there?

Wasn't sure how old skool we were going here.

Lets see:

Commodore: See above

Apple II:
Oregon Trails (My middle school hero)

NES:
Mario 1-3 (Mario 3 was great)
Dragon Warrior (Took FOREVER to finish)
Contra
Excite Bike (remember that little bastard running after his wrecked bike?)
...Geez I can't even remember anymore

Genesis (Still have this and my 7 year old loves it):
Sonic 2 (the only one I had)
Mortal Kombat 3 (he doesn't get to play this)
Mega Bomberman
VectorMan
Shining Force II
Road Rash
DUNE!!! (My introduction to RTS)
Strike series (Jungle Strike, Desert Strike, Urban Stike)

Playstation: (the original)
The first Resident Evil (remember how awesome this was?)
Mortal Kombat (Remember how good it looked... back then?)
Final Fantacy VII (The best one EVER! I raced those damn birds SOOO LONG to get the gold one to get that Knights of the Round summon)
Crash Bandicoot
Gran Turismo
Twisted Metal
Syphon Filter
X-Com: UFO Defense (LOVED THIS GAME)

PS2 (not old enough to be a classic yet)

PC Games:
Kings Quest V (I think it was V. I remember playing in an IBM 286 PS/1 and swapping disks 5 times every time you moved a screen.)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
TOTAL ANNIHILATION (The original Supreme commander)
DOOM
Diablo II
Unreal - the FIRST one, non-Tournament.
Age of Mythology
Max Payne I & II
Far Cry (the original was one of my fav FPS ever)
Serious Sam II

There are MANY others, and I didn't include anything THAT new because they aren't.. Classics.

Score
March 26, 2010 12:58:19 AM

pojih said:
Half Life!!!! the original...

[:wolfen18:9] It's the one that got me back into PC's as I had strayed over to the dark side of consoles for a while back in the early to mid 90's (SEGA Rally yay! [:mousemonkey:4] ).
jay2tall said:
The Commodore 64! My friends are knockin' down my door, to get into my Commodore 64! I loved playing Moon Patrol, Frantic Freddie, Summer Games, Pac Man, Dig Dug, Frogger, Centipede, geez what else was there?

Wasn't sure how old skool we were going here.

Lets see:

Commodore: See above

Apple II:
Oregon Trails (My middle school hero)

NES:
Mario 1-3 (Mario 3 was great)
Dragon Warrior (Took FOREVER to finish)
Contra
Excite Bike (remember that little bastard running after his wrecked bike?)
...Geez I can't even remember anymore

Genesis (Still have this and my 7 year old loves it):
Sonic 2 (the only one I had)
Mortal Kombat 3 (he doesn't get to play this)
Mega Bomberman
VectorMan
Shining Force II
Road Rash
DUNE!!! (My introduction to RTS)
Strike series (Jungle Strike, Desert Strike, Urban Stike)

Playstation: (the original)
The first Resident Evil (remember how awesome this was?)
Mortal Kombat (Remember how good it looked... back then?)
Final Fantacy VII (The best one EVER! I raced those damn birds SOOO LONG to get the gold one to get that Knights of the Round summon)
Crash Bandicoot
Gran Turismo
Twisted Metal
Syphon Filter
X-Com: UFO Defense (LOVED THIS GAME)

PS2 (not old enough to be a classic yet)

PC Games:
Kings Quest V (I think it was V. I remember playing in an IBM 286 PS/1 and swapping disks 5 times every time you moved a screen.)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
TOTAL ANNIHILATION (The original Supreme commander)
DOOM
Diablo II
Unreal - the FIRST one, non-Tournament.
Age of Mythology
Max Payne I & II
Far Cry (the original was one of my fav FPS ever)
Serious Sam II

There are MANY others, and I didn't include anything THAT new because they aren't.. Classics.

I've got you pegged now, you old fart!! :lol: 
Score
March 26, 2010 2:21:58 AM

Mousemonkey said:
[:wolfen18:9] It's the one that got me back into PC's as I had strayed over to the dark side of consoles for a while back in the early to mid 90's (SEGA Rally yay! [:mousemonkey:4] ).

I've got you pegged now, you old fart!! :lol: 

HAHA old fart? I'm not that old. Although, I am turning another decade next month.
Score
March 26, 2010 2:46:49 AM

jay2tall said:
HAHA old fart? I'm not that old. Although, I am turning another decade next month.

The start of the change, when teenagers and younglings no longer see you as someone who knows anything! :lol: 
Score
March 31, 2010 12:22:34 PM

Almost forgot. Diablo!
Score
March 31, 2010 12:31:50 PM

@mousemonkey: Slightly off topic, but I see you prefer "Noli nothi permittere te terere" as opposed to "Nils carborundum illegitimus". It doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely, but if grammar is your thing... ;-)
Score
March 31, 2010 12:41:24 PM

Herr_Koos said:
@mousemonkey: Slightly off topic, but I see you prefer "Noli nothi permittere te terere" as opposed to "Nils carborundum illegitimus". It doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely, but if grammar is your thing... ;-)

That should be nill illigitimi carborundum ;)  , but I prefer to use noli nothi permittere te terere as it's not immediately apparent what it means and is more old school.
Score
March 31, 2010 12:46:09 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That should be nill illigitimi carborundum ;)  , but I prefer to use noli nothi permittere te terere as it's not immediately apparent what it means and is more old school.

There are several versions according to Wikipedia, but you're right, it's not obvious. i actually had to Google it.. ;-)

My favourite fake Latin quote is still Rincewind's unforgettable "Morituri nolumus mori".
Score
March 31, 2010 12:53:17 PM

Herr_Koos said:
There are several versions according to Wikipedia, but you're right, it's not obvious. i actually had to Google it.. ;-)

My favourite fake Latin quote is still Rincewind's unforgettable "Morituri nolumus mori".

The wonderful mind of Terry Prattchet, the only author who's books I can't read in public due to bursting out in uncontrollable fits of laughter.
Score
March 31, 2010 12:57:24 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The wonderful mind of Terry Prattchet, the only author who's books I can't read in public due to bursting out in uncontrollable fits of laughter.

Very true! :D 
Score
April 6, 2010 1:48:58 AM

You guys forgot megaman! Megaman 2 and 3 were the best. One was actually harder
Score
May 23, 2010 8:02:28 PM

Mousemonkey said:

On a day off, I've been known to sit on my own in my local pub and read Pratchett and have every barman and marmaid throughout the day comment on their favourite Pratchett and ask about the one I'm reading (which at the time was The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents)
Score
May 24, 2010 10:42:39 AM

So if you sit in a pub quietly muttering "Bugrit bugrit buggrem" to yourself, they actually know what you're talking about? Cool.

P.S.: What's a marmaid? ;-)
Score
September 7, 2010 2:07:12 AM

I will look into his novels.
Score
September 7, 2010 2:10:50 AM

YOu guys remember the oregon trail? Epic side scroller/adventure game!!
Score
September 8, 2010 12:40:38 AM

When I was a kid I used to play Wolfenstein 3d and Duke Nukem games =], plus I loved Full Throttle as a kid and Z from the bitmap brothers.
Score
September 14, 2010 12:10:51 PM

I've recently been checking out abandonia. they publish games that are out of copyright.

http://www.abandonia.com/

downloaded the first C&C and cool spot to get me started this week!
Score
September 14, 2010 1:20:44 PM

jsc said:
Descent.

Thumbs up.
Descent, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem, Galaga, Pitfall, Qbert, Croc, GEX, Tekken series ps1, Mario Bros 3>1>2, and Mech Warrior were some of my fave games.
Oh, Half Life and Red Faction as well.

The latest games I like so far are Batman; Arkham Asylum, as well as Mass Effect 2.

Finally for the pc: Audiosurf, GMod, and Painkiller(Painkiller isn't on the consoles, is it?)
Oh, only flight simulators I enjoyed was the Flight Combat Simulators.
Holy hell they were awesome back then.
Score
Anonymous
September 18, 2010 10:53:10 PM

cod 2 and warcraft, along with diablo 2 were the best games EVER, new games atht will go down in history? diablo 3 and starcraft 2
Score
September 19, 2010 8:11:04 AM

Is it just me or none of us have mentioned DAVE, skyroads, Alladin, Lion King, Revolt
Cmon ppl!!!!!
Score
September 21, 2010 2:55:04 PM

angaduday said:
Is it just me or none of us have mentioned DAVE, skyroads, Alladin, Lion King, Revolt
Cmon ppl!!!!!

Alladin and Lion King lol, might as well throw Garfield in there.
Im serious, Garfield was one of my fave games on the...SEGA?
I think it was the sega, I cant remember anymore D:
Score
September 21, 2010 8:59:38 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
September 28, 2010 12:47:58 AM

Best answer selected by liquidsnake718.
Score
!