Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new computer for wow

Last response: in Video Games
February 9, 2010 12:04:51 AM

Hello, I know you all get this question alot and I know wow isnt a very demanding game but my current computer is a peice of crap. So ive decided to buy a new one mostly for wow. So what I was wanting to know is will this run world of warcraft good at max settings. If not tell me a better part roughly the same price if not to much higher.

Processor - Intel core I7 920 2.66Ghz(8mb Cache) Quad core

Video card - Single 1.8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

Memory - 6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3

Operating System - Windows 7

Power Supply - 875w

Liquid Cooled

Killer Xeno Pro

P.S. Is there a website I could check to see roughly what kinda FPS I will be getting. I Know even bigger computers then this still gets spikes in FPS so thats not what im worried about.

More about : buying computer wow

February 9, 2010 12:40:31 AM

That rig will run ANY modern game sir. that computer could run 6 instances of WoW at one time with no problem.
February 9, 2010 12:54:46 AM

Thank you very much, im not very computer smart when it comes to the hardware thats in it. All i knew is that it had much higher NUMBERS then my current one.

Awsome avatar by the way - im wearing a dethklok shirt right now ^_^
Related resources
February 9, 2010 12:58:34 AM

OMG lol i love dethklok. the most BRUTAL band ever lol but yea. that computer is way beyond WoW. good luck and have fun!
February 10, 2010 1:38:27 AM

about the PSU- just make sure its of a high quality brand and also 875 watts is major overkill for a rig like that (unless you want to SLI in the future). get a high quality 550w-600w PSU
February 10, 2010 8:41:48 AM

That is SERIOUSLY overkill for WoW.

I built the following for WoW

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
4GB Patriot Sector 5 Viper II 1333MHz
ATI Radeon 5770
Corsair CX400 PSU
Antec Mini P180

and it runs WoW on my 50" plasma TV at 1920x1080 consistently above 40fps, typically at around 55fps. Cost me £500 all in.

Now, if you're looking at playing other games, certainly the recent stuff, then yes go with a big Core i5 or Core i7 system - your spec is still a bit out of whack though.

Go for a Radeon 5850 instead of the NVIDIA GTX260
Drop the Xeno Pro - why bother? A network card can't make the internet any more reliable, it's just an expensive gimmick.
Drop the water-cooling, you don't need it - unless you want a near-silent computer, doing extreme overclocking or are a poser you'll be fine with air cooling.

The money you'd save then would get you a Radeon 5870 or even 2 5850s in Crossfire - serious graphics horsepower.

If you do want to run multiple graphics cards, you can't beat the Corsair HX850. If you're only running 1 graphics card, then a 550-600W PSU from Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic or Antec will be perfect
February 10, 2010 2:16:22 PM

As the folks here have said that's WAY overkill for WoW. If you must get a new intel processor get an i5-750, which is as fast as an i7 920 for most purposes. This will immediately drop a couple hundred dollars of your rig's cost. Drop the Video Card to a 5770, it's cheaper, runs cooler and uses less power than the 260 and is all you need to run WoW. Since this rig will run so cool, you can go ahead and just use air instead of liquid cooling. You can drop your ram to 4gb dual channel and your PSu to 700W - 750W in case you want to add a second 5770 later. But LePhuronn is right, his AMD rig will play great.
February 10, 2010 2:26:23 PM

That computer is huge overkill for just playing warcraft. You're going to lag in the populated cities no matter what you build, it's just lag. I played for years with a C2D @ 3.2ghz and an ATI 4850. I talked with people that owned computers similar to what you're building (i7, 6gig, dual gpu) and they all had similar frame rates to me; 60+ in most zones, ~20~30 in cities like dalaran.
IMO, you're sinking a lot of money for almost no gain unless you plan on playing other games in the future.
!