Question about what mobo?

Ingman21

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Hey all,
I'm building a system for a friend but I don't know how FSB correlates with the RAM and Mobo. I have an idea but I want to make sure.
I'm buying a P4 3GHZ, FSB 800mhz processor. I think the ram I will be purchasing is Kingston KVR400x64 1GB kit (2 pieces of 512MB). Now with the motherboard, I'm sorta confused. For me to use the 800FSB, Asus' website says " (When you used a CPU with 800Mhz FSB, you need to install a PC3200 (400Mhz) DDR memory.)".
Ok, got that, but this motherboard states that "P4PE-X supports FSB 800 MHz(O.C) up to 3.06 GHz+P4 CPU and Intel Hyper-Threading Technology. They raise the bar of PC industry and deliver a full value, high-performance solution for today's most demading tasks". Does this mean I have to overclock this system? Sorry for the confusion, but I'm as confused! Thanks in advance!

Andy

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
The asus website claims to support FSB 800, so you should be ok if your friend has a P4PE-X rather than a P4PE, since as far as I can tell, official FSB 800 support is the difference between the two. By the way, the US version of the site doesn't have the "(O.C}" there. It's probably there because most boards based on that chipset do not officially support FSB 800, I think. Also, as you probably know, your 2 sticks of RAM will NOT be running in dual channel, just in case you were confused about that.

Ingman21

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Thanks dude.

I still have some questions now. If I get the P4PE-X, will it be running on 800FSB? This is the reason why. My friend wants Hyperthreading and I'm going to give him what he wants. The 2 sticks of RAM will not be running on dual channel, but that mean the RAM supports hyperthreading or is it just the chip and motherboard?

TRENDING THREADS