USB 2.0 front-panel connection

rictus

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
Hi,

I just bought an Abit IS7 P4 mobo and an X-Sonic aluminum case. I'm trying to hook up the USB 2.0 front-panel connectors to the mobo, and am a little confused.

First off, there's no manual with the case. I don't know if it's supposed to come with one, but except for this little snafu everything else was pretty straightforward.

Here's the issue: The mobo has two USB connectors, each of which is configured like this:

VCC D1- D1+ GND NC
2 4 6 8 10
1 3 5 7 (9)
VCC D0- D0+ GND NC

(where (9) means there's no pin in that position). From what I gather, this is a pretty standard header configuration.

The case has two front-panel USB 2.0 ports, each of which has its own bundle of separate wires. My understanding is each header on the mobo supports two ports each (for a total of four), so I should be able to connect both front-panel ports to the same header, and leave the other header unconnected.

Here's the problem: Each bundle of wires has *five* wires, not the four I would expect. Each bundle has *two* ground wires (for a total of four). This seems weird to me.

I *think* I can just hook four of the five wires in each bundle up to the two sides of the header above, and then hook the extra grounds to the GND pins on the other header. Does that make sense?

Thanks,

nj

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I have a similar problem and would like to know the answer. So here's a bump for your question. :)

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
9600 Pro
Win98SE