Windows XP OEM w SP2 Question

Sephiroth_Yuppie

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
I just bought Windows XP OEM version and it includes SP2.
My question is,when I go to install windows xp on the PC I'm building,can I just install windows XP and Sp1 and not install SP2?

Or am I stuck with SP2?

Sephiroth_Yuppie

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
well it's just I've herd mostly horror stories about SP2 and it's slowing down the internet,lack of compatability with games and apps,and it hates P2P programs.
So I was looking if there was a way to avoid having to install SP2.
I would prefeer good gameing and program compatability over a little more sucurity.
I just want the best expericance possible.:)

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
well it's just I've herd mostly horror stories about SP2

Remember, people don't feel the urgent need to broadcast their feelings when everything is going well...but bad experiences and bad news travel at light speed.

But I guess if you are going P2P often, security is not your concern. However I don't think you can undo an OEM SP2 install.

....WW (5.0)

skinnyjoint

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
have you had good experience with sp2? honestly? cuz i havent and niether has neone ive met or talked to. but if you have plz share. i reformatted just so i could stick with sp1

pat

Expert
"have you had good experience with sp2? honestly? cuz i havent and niether has neone ive met or talked to. but if you have plz share. i reformatted just so i could stick with sp1"

Well, yes, I have. Installed on my nforce2 system and everything went good. When I upgrade to A64. installed with my slipstreamed copy of Windows on my nforce3 system and no problems at all!! Every upgrade I did went smooth an no problems so far.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

RichPLS

Champion
No problems with SP2 here...

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

No problems here, either. I use both Kazaalite K++ and Shareaza... both programs work without a hitch. As for slowing down the internet? Huh? I certainly haven't experienced anything of the sort.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
No problems here with my 3 machines, or any other of the 25+ machines I have upgraded for family & friends, as long as you are aware of some of the issues with programs that have upgrades and patches for XPsp2 the upgrade always goes smoothly. :wink: