Sign in with
Your question

Need help

Last response: in Video Games
February 10, 2010 3:08:18 PM

i want to run my nox game but its for windows 98 is there a way i can run it on xp windows i hope you can help me i love this game

More about : question

February 10, 2010 5:21:37 PM

Have you tried to install it and run it yet? I believe it will still run under XP. Is your XP 32 or 64 bit?

Under Vista or Windows 7 may be a different story.

Here are some tips I found though:

* Installation and Issues dealing with Windows XP

HOW TO INSTALL NOX PROPERLY ON THE XP

1.) Install Nox (yea) [With full or any install options if you want]
2.) Do NOT start Nox yet
3.) Download and install the Quest patch
4.)Set the compatibility mode of GAME.EXE to win 98/ME

Now from this point you can try 2 things:

1.) Run nox.exe and connect to WOL
2.) Let it auto patch and it will restart your Nox

If this worked you can now play Nox

2nd thing you can try:
1.) Run "NOX.EXE GrabPatches" as a command line parameter (or go to your start menu / westwood / nox / Nox Auto Update)
If that works and finishes then start Nox.exe and it should all work

*Windows Xp Crash Problems.
- Install quest... then set compat mode to Win98 or Me or w/e (for game.exe and/or nox.exe), then start Nox (first time you do it without the NoCD loader) and it shouldn't crash.
February 10, 2010 6:06:18 PM

Im useing 32 bit .Now where can i fine this quest file
Related resources
February 10, 2010 6:16:03 PM

Sorry about that. Here's the link:

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/nox/updates/NoxQEng12.exe

btw, my disclaimer is your mileage may vary with this. I haven't tried to install and play Nox since my Windows 98 days. But, by the statements in the forum thread I posted, it's supposedly possible.

UPDATE: Looking further at the thread in the forum, it talks about cracks and such, so I've removed the link to the forum. That's my bad. I had thought it was a legit Nox support site, but I guess I was wrong. :ouch:  :o 

However, the link above IS legit as it is to Westwood, the publisher of the game and I can attest to the fact that applying the patch allows the game to work under Windows 7 64-bit as long as you set the compatibility mode to Win98/Me. I just tried it last night and viola! Nox was up and running in all it's glory! Ahh, the old days of playing games like Diablo, Ultima and Nox. Nostalgia sure can be grand at times! :bounce: 

I would assume it should work just as well under XP setting the compatibility mode to Win98/Me.
October 20, 2011 12:20:43 PM

hi,

im running on xp as well and don't have much technical background. when i try to run the setup.exe file, it shows an error about administrative restriction or something. i tried to follow the instructions with the files but it's in italian and can't figure it out when translated. is there a simpler way to do this? please please advice.

thanks, meryl
October 20, 2011 12:57:57 PM

Well, to make things REALLY easy, head over to http://www.gog.com (good ol games) and you can purchase Nox there for $5.99. Download it and install it and it will do all the set up for you. The $5.99 allows you to download it as many times as you want and there isn't any DRM. That's what is so great about GOG - no DRM, you can download it to as many PCs as you want, etc. No activation of the games, no CD/DVD requirements, etc. Plus, they give you PDF versions of the manuals, maps, etc for the games if available.

In the case of NOX, you get the manual and the reference card.

So, if it seems WAY to complicated to try and get it to work like I've outlined, then purchase the game from GOG and you'll be set. Even though I purchased the game years ago, I went ahead and purchased NOX from GOG and I can attest it works just fine under Windows 7 64-bit, so it will definitely work for XP.

Also, if you're big into the Ultimas, they have Ultima 1 through 6, as well as the two Ultima Underworld games as well. They run just great. They use DOSBox, but GOG gives you a complete installer package that takes care of ALL of that for you. They also have released Wing Commander 3 as well with ALL of the FMV cutscenes and no CD requirement unlike the original game.

GOG is heaven for all those old games and at great prices! And no, I'm not an employee of them. I'm someone who just loves what they do: release old games to work on current platforms with no DRM, unlimited downloads and supply manuals, etc. My GOG library keeps growing day-by-day as they release "new" old games.

October 20, 2011 1:06:03 PM

yummymeryl said:
hi,

im running on xp as well and don't have much technical background. when i try to run the setup.exe file, it shows an error about administrative restriction or something. i tried to follow the instructions with the files but it's in italian and can't figure it out when translated. is there a simpler way to do this? please please advice.

thanks, meryl

Sounds like you don't have admin privileges on your machine. You can right click on the .exe and select RUN AS... and then tell it to run as adminstrator. You'll have to know the administrator accounts password. That, or you can set up your account to be admin.

However, since you state it's coming up in Italian, I'm curious as to where you purchased the game from? If you didn't purchase it and leeched it off of a pirate site, then I can't help you out much more than that.

If you really want the game, do as I mentioned in another post in this thread: go to www.gog.com and purchase the NOX game for $5.99. It's worth it, doesn't have DRM, doesn't require a CD, and works under XP, Vista or Windows 7 and it's a legit copy of the game.
October 21, 2011 11:03:00 PM

thanks for the help. a friend of mine actually gave me the copy and since he is running on windows7, he couldn't figure it out as well. i think i'll just go to that site you mentioned. this difficulty is not worth the freebie. lol. thanks!
October 21, 2011 11:33:32 PM

yummymeryl said:
thanks for the help. a friend of mine actually gave me the copy and since he is running on windows7, he couldn't figure it out as well. i think i'll just go to that site you mentioned. this difficulty is not worth the freebie. lol. thanks!

Sounds good. And, you'll have support from GOG as well and makes it legit as well. Plus, as I stated, it's all set up for you, so all you have to do is install it and play.
!