Why Bone Spirit works so well, and other things

Anyone who has ever played a necromancer and pumped up Bone Spirit knows
that it seems to work better than the listed damage. There are 2 reasons for
this:

The first is obvious to all who play the game. There are VERY few magic
immune monsters in the game. Other than Greater Mummies in hell mode, and
one breed of zombies, NOTHING in the game is MI. But in reality, this is the
lesser reason.

The second and more relevant reason requires delving into the internal
monster tables to understand. Monsters can not only me immune to an attack
type, they can and are also resistant to it. For example, witches in the
throne room in hell mode are Cold Immune. That is easy to see, as they say
so. But Death Lords, who are not cold immune, have 50% Cold Resist. There
are monsters with high CR, FR, LR and PR. But no one is magic resistant, as
the game actually has no such feature. Yes, there are items which have MDR,
but that is not a resistance, that functions the same way as DR does.

Tip:

When doing the Maggot Lair, The stairs down will almost always be at the
point farthest away from the door you entered the level in. Maps in the ML
are built either along the X or the Y axis. You can determine which quickly
by looking for the first long hallway or form looking at the position of the
door you entered on in relationship to the rest of the map you have
uncovered. You can quickly see which direction is the 'long" side of the
level, and the door down to the next level will be on the farthest point
that way.

Observation 1:

There are new maps and layouts. There are now a couple of maps for WSK 2
that do not have the door to WSK3 on the right (there used to be only 1),
and there are 3 new layouts for the Frozen river, and at least one for the
Tamoe Highlands in which the Monastery is not facing the entry into the
Tamoe, but at a 90 degree angle to it. Much of this will make sense only to
those who are map aware in LoD.

Observation 2:

Spell change lag is about 5 times worse than it was at the time I stopped
playing, which was at the last reset. Whether this is a function of overall
performance of battle.net or has to do with the patch is yet to be
determined.

Observation 3:

Runes are dropping SLIGHTLY more often. I have also noted that the
percentage of runes which are garbage is also slightly lower. Does this mean
Zods are dropping like rain drops? No. But I have noted less ELs ELDs and
their ilk and more RAL and ORT and the like.

Lament:

Playing public games is somewhat depressing for me. When I think that the
next generation, the one we will turn this all over to cannot tell when to
use "where" or "wear", "there" "their" or "they're", I become depressed.
Where are the parents here? Do the not know that their children are growing
up illiterate? Maybe they should spend less time working and buying toys and
more time actually being with their children, reading wi th them, and just
talking to them, because this is truly absurd.

Mickey

Mickey wrote:

> But no one is magic resistant, as the game actually has no such
> feature. Yes, there are items which have MDR, but that is not a
> resistance, that functions the same way as DR does.

I've got (or had rather, my char expired) a crafted safety shield with some
% magic resist...

It does exist in the game, but AFAIK that's the only item magic resist can
spawn on

--
*Jwh101010 sc USWest

Mickey,

Thanks for the great info. I'm currently building a bonemancer. I've had a
nice skellimancer before and I took him to Guardian. I agree with you that
they are powerful and a lot of fun. I had a level 67 bonemancer with very
nice gear in last ladder but he died literally the night before the current
ladder (i.e. last Sunday night). So to see how they play in hell diff, I
started another. Oh, and in case it is not obvious, I play only hardcore.
But anyway, here is my question. Would you mind providing your thoughts on
the pros and cons of bonespear vs. bonespirit. Thanks.

G'day,

Jim

"JH" <jwhams@comcast.net> wrote:

>Mickey wrote:
>
>> But no one is magic resistant, as the game actually has no such
>> feature. Yes, there are items which have MDR, but that is not a
>> resistance, that functions the same way as DR does.
>
>I've got (or had rather, my char expired) a crafted safety shield with some
>% magic resist...
>
>It does exist in the game, but AFAIK that's the only item magic resist can
>spawn on

One of my few serious complaints about 1.10 and 1.11 is that they did
not bring back some of the old crafting recipes or make new ones. I
enjoyed crafting and although you can still get some good items for
dueling if you do that (less now than in 1.09 because of some of the
more uber equipment out there) and caster boots/ammys can be of some
benefit, there just isn't that much to pick from. I had some awesome
crafted rings many many moons ago, I want them back, damn it!

--

Weretable and the Undead Chairs

USWest - weretable

"Jim Young" <noneayourbusiness@myob.net> wrote in message
> Mickey,
>
> Thanks for the great info. I'm currently building a bonemancer. I've had
> nice skellimancer before and I took him to Guardian. I agree with you
that
> they are powerful and a lot of fun. I had a level 67 bonemancer with very
> nice gear in last ladder but he died literally the night before the
current
> ladder (i.e. last Sunday night). So to see how they play in hell diff, I
> started another. Oh, and in case it is not obvious, I play only hardcore.
> But anyway, here is my question. Would you mind providing your thoughts
on
> the pros and cons of bonespear vs. bonespirit. Thanks.

Bone Spirit has 2 advantages. One is that it does more damage, the second is
that it is great for monsters than run away or teleport. Once you have
target lock, they can go where they like, it will hunt them down. Spear is
nice in close qaurters, but the fact that it can, if you are in the right
area, damage multiple monsters never really shines my shoes, as I have a
horde of mongols to do that. I use the BS to help drop that first corpse,
and to target the boss in a pack and take him out to save the minions the
damage from things like Holy Shock or LE. I also know that Spirit cannot be
blocked, I am not sure if the same is true for spear. I use Spirit mostly in
places that have packs of knights. My horde will always focus on the Doom
Knights, but the Oblivion Knight will always hang kac, so I do the honors
and let the pack handle the rest.

Mickey

> I also know that Spirit cannot be
> blocked, I am not sure if the same is true for spear.

Spirit, Spear, and Teeth are all unblockable. The one exception is assassin
claw block, which can block all three.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, "Mickey" wrote:

>> Lament:
>>
>> Playing public games is somewhat depressing for me. When I think that the
>> next generation, the one we will turn this all over to cannot tell when to
>> use "where" or "wear", "there" "their" or "they're", I become depressed.
>> Where are the parents here? Do the not know that their children are growing
>> up illiterate? Maybe they should spend less time working and buying toys and
>> more time actually being with their children, reading wi th them, and just
>> talking to them, because this is truly absurd.
>>
>> Mickey

As a father of 6 children, daddy to 8, I feel you pain intensely.

Spelling and grammar corrections are foolish provocation of (young)
people who are Too Hip to care about the difference between 'u' and
'you'. The difference between "your" and "you're" belong to the same
stratospheric geeklyness that cares about the relationship between
acceleration and jerk.

WAY too many people act like they were raised by a loud T.V.

"Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> schreef in bericht
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, "Mickey" wrote:
>
>>> Lament:
>>>
>>> Playing public games is somewhat depressing for me. When I think that
>>> the
>>> next generation, the one we will turn this all over to cannot tell when
>>> use "where" or "wear", "there" "their" or "they're", I become depressed.
>>> Where are the parents here? Do the not know that their children are
>>> growing
>>> up illiterate? Maybe they should spend less time working and buying toys
>>> and
>>> more time actually being with their children, reading wi th them, and
>>> just
>>> talking to them, because this is truly absurd.
>>>
>>> Mickey
>
> As a father of 6 children, daddy to 8, I feel you pain intensely.
>
> Spelling and grammar corrections are foolish provocation of (young)
> people who are Too Hip to care about the difference between 'u' and
> 'you'. The difference between "your" and "you're" belong to the same
> stratospheric geeklyness that cares about the relationship between
> acceleration and jerk.
>
> WAY too many people act like they were raised by a loud T.V.

You should realise that the public games are also open for the rest of the
world.
So, you will encounter (young) players for whom english is not their native
language.
Try to point out their mistakes and be patient with them.

Jan (player from Holland)

"Jan Lok" <fam_lok@versatel.nl> wrote in message
> You should realise that the public games are also open for the rest of the
> world.
> So, you will encounter (young) players for whom english is not their
native
> language.
> Try to point out their mistakes and be patient with them.

I've spoken to many players for whom English is not their native language.
They still know the difference between "you" and "u", "any" and "ne", and
"your" and "ur" for example.

> Jan (player from Holland)

"Jan Lok" <fam_lok@versatel.nl> wrote in message

> "Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> schreef in bericht

> > As a father of 6 children, daddy to 8, I feel you pain intensely.
> >
> > Spelling and grammar corrections are foolish provocation of (young)
> > people who are Too Hip to care about the difference between 'u' and
> > 'you'. The difference between "your" and "you're" belong to the same
> > stratospheric geeklyness that cares about the relationship between
> > acceleration and jerk.
> >
> > WAY too many people act like they were raised by a loud T.V.
>
> You should realise that the public games are also open for the rest of the
> world.
> So, you will encounter (young) players for whom english is not their
native
> language.
> Try to point out their mistakes and be patient with them.
>
> Jan (player from Holland)

And if this were the case, I'd never say a word. However, 98% of those on
USWest who play the public games or are on the public channels are American.
Frank, who used to play and post here, and who is from Amsterdam used to
worry about his command of English when he decided to come to the states for
a while and work. I always laughed, telling him that his English was better
than most Americans..... and it was.

Mickey

Excellent post.

So is this your MeatGrinder necro with maxed BSpirit? Any synergies pumped?

Rod

> Lament:
>
> Playing public games is somewhat depressing for me. When I think that the
> next generation, the one we will turn this all over to cannot tell when to
> use "where" or "wear", "there" "their" or "they're", I become depressed.
> Where are the parents here? Do the not know that their children are
> growing
> up illiterate? Maybe they should spend less time working and buying toys
> and
> more time actually being with their children, reading wi th them, and just
> talking to them, because this is truly absurd.

/Rant on

Yes, and sadly it's even worse from a "moral" point of view. I've learned
to never trust anyone on battlenet now. Which is too bad. I built a rocket
sorc and when the new patch came she was perfect for the role of gathering
keys. So I'd gather sets of keys and sell them for items.

First sell was for BER (I knew it was too good to be true) and of course
it was a dupe.

Next sell was for CHAM, VEX, IST -- turned out they were real. But then
got scammed for my CHAM because I did the silly wall run trade in Act I for
a torch. Same thing happened a few days later and I lost 3 keys (not a big
deal considering how fast I can get them). Ran into the same guy 10 minutes
later (after recovering 2 of my lost keys) to trade a terror for a
desctruction key. He put a hate in the trade window and I refused. He
clicked to trade again and put the right key up so I took the trade. Then I
called him on it and further said that I had already recovered the keys he
had stolen from me. He types "wut?'...... I LOL'd and left.

/Rant off

Rod

"Mickey" <mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> Observation 3:
>
> Runes are dropping SLIGHTLY more often. I have also noted that the
> percentage of runes which are garbage is also slightly lower. Does this
mean
> Zods are dropping like rain drops? No. But I have noted less ELs ELDs and
> their ilk and more RAL and ORT and the like.

I'll agree to a point, to my experience they are dropping quite a bit
better, I had a Dol rune drop in the middle of normal, and had never seen
one drop from a monster earlier than the middle of nightmare.

The countess in normal seems to drop her normal quantity and type of rune,
it is the random monster drops that are more frequent and better.

I was able to make leaf before I did the soldiers quest, and multiple
stealth armors.

"Rod Runnheim" <rodr@lmcg.wisc.edu> wrote in message
> Excellent post.
>
> So is this your MeatGrinder necro with maxed BSpirit? Any synergies
pumped?

No, I use BS for 2 purposes, to take down that first corpse when I solo, and
to target lock bosses that tend to leave. Today, while running the pit, I
must have taken out at least 20 boss Dark Archers who ran away, but couldn't
outrun the BS.

Mickey

> > Lament:
> >
> > Playing public games is somewhat depressing for me. When I think that
the
> > next generation, the one we will turn this all over to cannot tell when
> > use "where" or "wear", "there" "their" or "they're", I become depressed.
> > Where are the parents here? Do the not know that their children are
> > growing
> > up illiterate? Maybe they should spend less time working and buying toys
> > and
> > more time actually being with their children, reading wi th them, and
just
> > talking to them, because this is truly absurd.
>
> /Rant on
>
> Yes, and sadly it's even worse from a "moral" point of view. I've
learned
> to never trust anyone on battlenet now. Which is too bad. I built a
rocket
> sorc and when the new patch came she was perfect for the role of gathering
> keys. So I'd gather sets of keys and sell them for items.
>
> First sell was for BER (I knew it was too good to be true) and of
course
> it was a dupe.
>
> Next sell was for CHAM, VEX, IST -- turned out they were real. But
then
> got scammed for my CHAM because I did the silly wall run trade in Act I
for
> a torch. Same thing happened a few days later and I lost 3 keys (not a
big
> deal considering how fast I can get them). Ran into the same guy 10
minutes
> later (after recovering 2 of my lost keys) to trade a terror for a
> desctruction key. He put a hate in the trade window and I refused. He
> clicked to trade again and put the right key up so I took the trade. Then
> called him on it and further said that I had already recovered the keys he
> had stolen from me. He types "wut?'...... I LOL'd and left.
>
> /Rant off

It is sad, isn't it? One can start to feel like Diogenes, looking for one
good man. Sadly, the game didn't come with a lamp.

Mickey

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:12:53 -0400, "Mickey"
<mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:

>No, I use BS for 2 purposes, to take down that first corpse when I solo, and
>to target lock bosses that tend to leave. Today, while running the pit, I
>must have taken out at least 20 boss Dark Archers who ran away, but couldn't
>outrun the BS.
>
>Mickey

It is effective... there are times when my wife nags me, and try as I
might, I can't outrun the "BS". ;-)

Guy

"Guy Smiley" <email@email.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:12:53 -0400, "Mickey"
> <mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:
>
> >No, I use BS for 2 purposes, to take down that first corpse when I solo,
and
> >to target lock bosses that tend to leave. Today, while running the pit, I
> >must have taken out at least 20 boss Dark Archers who ran away, but
couldn't
> >outrun the BS.
> >
> >Mickey
> >

> It is effective... there are times when my wife nags me, and try as I
> might, I can't outrun the "BS". ;-)

I was waiting......

Mickey

While pondering glazed doughnuts Guy Smiley <email@email.com> mistakenly typed
:
: On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:12:53 -0400, "Mickey"
: <mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:
:
:>No, I use BS for 2 purposes, to take down that first corpse when I solo, and
:>to target lock bosses that tend to leave. Today, while running the pit, I
:>must have taken out at least 20 boss Dark Archers who ran away, but couldn't
:>outrun the BS.
:>
:>Mickey
:>
:
: It is effective... there are times when my wife nags me, and try as I
: might, I can't outrun the "BS". ;-)
:

As you've noticed it has infinite range.
-dave

On that special day, Mickey, (mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net) said...

> It is sad, isn't it? One can start to feel like Diogenes, looking for one
> good man. Sadly, the game didn't come with a lamp.

Diogenes was the guy in the barrel, who told Alexander to step out of
the sun. The lamp guy was So"I know, that I don't know"crates.

Gabriele "too much interested in antics, er, antiquities" Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> Mickey wrote:
> > And if this were the case, I'd never say a word. However, 98% of
> > those on USWest who play the public games or are on the public
> > channels are American. Frank, who used to play and post here, and who
> > is from Amsterdam used to worry about his command of English when he
> > decided to come to the states for a while and work. I always laughed,
> > telling him that his English was better than most Americans..... and
> > it was.
>
> I have a Ukrainian friend who resides in NYC who is the same. He visits
most
> years for a couple weeks during the NZ summer (NYC winter). In fact the
> spare room is now refered to as "Vitaliy's room". I met him on a NG. He's
> paranoid about his command of the English language. In fact he speaks
better
> than most native English-speakers I know. Now, his accent, that's a
> different story. :) It took me two days in his company to be able to
> understand him on-the-fly, not have to pause after each statement and
think
> it through to work out what he was saying. I think that is the source of
his
> paranoia (or at least any communication problems he may have) although he
> says it's the language itself.

See, and I wouldn't have even realized he had an accent. I had so many
people speaking so many European and Middle Eastern languages around me
growing up, I do not hear their accents.

Mickey

"Gabriele Neukam" <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in message
> On that special day, Mickey, (mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net) said...
>
> > It is sad, isn't it? One can start to feel like Diogenes, looking for
one
> > good man. Sadly, the game didn't come with a lamp.
>
> Diogenes was the guy in the barrel, who told Alexander to step out of
> the sun. The lamp guy was So"I know, that I don't know"crates.
>

> Gabriele "too much interested in antics, er, antiquities" Neukam

Sorry dear, but in this case, you are simply incorrect. Diogenes of Sinope
was a philosopher from Greece who walked the streets of Athens with his lamp
looking for one honest man.

For further reference:

http://members.tripod.com/~Diogenes_MacLugh/diogenes.html

Mickey

> Mickey wrote:
> > Anyone who has ever played a necromancer and pumped up Bone Spirit
> > knows that it seems to work better than the listed damage. There are
> > 2 reasons for this:
> >
> > The first is obvious to all who play the game. There are VERY few
> > magic immune monsters in the game. Other than Greater Mummies in hell
> > mode, and one breed of zombies, NOTHING in the game is MI.
>
> You forget the Wailing Beasts in some of the Ruined Temple-type places in
> Kurast. Sorry to be pedantic. Also the new quintuple immunes in Uber
> Tristram.

Yes, but they are in temples people only go into on a whim, and as actually
special critters, as theya re the same base type as the similar critters in
that can spawnin those areas, but with special mods, just to make those
areas interesting. BTW, taht is a remnant left over from the BETA, in which
you could ONLY find elite items in those odd, underground areas.

> Excellent post BTW. :)

Thanks kindly.

Mickey

> > You forget the Wailing Beasts in some of the Ruined Temple-type places
in
> > Kurast. Sorry to be pedantic. Also the new quintuple immunes in Uber
> > Tristram.
>
> Yes, but they are in temples people only go into on a whim,

Well, or to get an extra 5 stat points from Lam Esen's tome.

> LOL. Snap! At almost exactly the same time, within a minute of each other
if
> both of our PC clocks are right.

Heh, great minds think alike.

"Shiflet" <rshiflet@charter.net> wrote in message

> "Mickey" <mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
>
> > > You forget the Wailing Beasts in some of the Ruined Temple-type places
> in
> > > Kurast. Sorry to be pedantic. Also the new quintuple immunes in Uber
> > > Tristram.
> >
> > Yes, but they are in temples people only go into on a whim,
>
> Well, or to get an extra 5 stat points from Lam Esen's tome.

I have never seen the wailing beasts in the Ruined Temple. They are in
Forgotten Reliquary and the 2 in the Kurast Causeway. The Ruined Temple has
the Rogues, Ghouls and Arachs.

Mickey

TRENDING THREADS