Closed

Fallout 3 freeze

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Anonymous
February 10, 2010 10:35:08 PM

Hello, system= intel core i5 650, 8gb ram, 64bit os, windows 7 ultimate, and ati radeon hd 5770. why the hell is this game freezing randomly after every few minutes of gameplay? Screen locks up there is still sound and i have to ctraltdel to get out of it. task manager says game is not responding. what can i do to fix? i have all my drivers up to date newest windows live and fallout 3 patches too. someone, please bestow upon me your wisdom!!!

More about : fallout freeze

February 12, 2010 2:25:48 AM

Quote:
Hello, system= intel core i5 650, 8gb ram, 64bit os, windows 7 ultimate, and ati radeon hd 5770. why the hell is this game freezing randomly after every few minutes of gameplay? Screen locks up there is still sound and i have to ctraltdel to get out of it. task manager says game is not responding. what can i do to fix? i have all my drivers up to date newest windows live and fallout 3 patches too. someone, please bestow upon me your wisdom!!!

Are you using mods? What Catalyst driver version are you using?
When the screen "locks up" are people on the screen still moving and such, or just sound?
Does this only happen on Fallout 3?
If the video freezes and the sound keeps going, sounds like a possibly faulty card or it could be overheating. Try downloading GPU-Z and checking your GPU temps during or right after you crash.

-J
Score
March 12, 2010 10:16:47 AM

Hi, I just built a gaming rig and I'm having the identical problem! Fallout 3 is fully patched, I have the same exact setup as you - i have 4gb ram instead of 8. did you ever find a solution?
Score
Related resources
March 15, 2010 1:10:07 PM

As Jamrock stated, monitor your GPU and CPU temps. Maybe you're overheating? You can get things like Speedfan or HW Monitor to monitor your temperatures. I would do that and see what you're getting.

If you're seeing temps greater than 90C for the GPU, then I would say that's possibly your problem which means either the cooling of your case is bad, the fan on your GPU is bad or you just have a bad GPU altogether.

Score
March 15, 2010 4:37:26 PM

Game freezes in Fallout 3 are platform agnostic. I have had them with Nvidia cards as well as ATI and that game sure didn't work the video cards very hard. Heck I even have game freezes with it on my Xbox360. Screen freezes, sound keeps going yep lol. Had it happen on every platform I ever played the game on. It is a great game but buggy. I recommend frequent game saves to preserve your sanity.
Score
March 15, 2010 4:47:36 PM

I know I was having issues with it crashing upon start up when it never did. This occurred right after I upgraded my motherboard. Turns out, the audio drivers were causing the crashes, so I uninstalled them and then let Windows find the drivers themselves and things have been right as rain ever since.
Score
March 15, 2010 5:00:54 PM

Never had startup hangs with it myself but in Vista Ultimate, it would error as i closed the game out. Just the in game/action freezing. I jinxed myself with that game as I never had one problem the first 3 months I played it and then made the mistake of saying it never froze. It was almost like the game took it as a personal challenge to annoy me.
Score
March 22, 2010 3:02:41 AM

I was experiencing the same problems when I put Fallout on my new laptop. I researched the problem a little more and I guess the game isn't set up to run on more than 2 processors. Apparently there is a simple fix for it that worked like a charm for me. Here's the link:

http://www.pdsys.org/blog/post/2009/02/07/Fallout-3-Vid...
Score
June 16, 2010 1:44:16 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!