new p4c800e deluxe installation

rkshack

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2003
I am installing a p4c800e deluxe mobo in a antec case. The mobo has a 3 pin power connector while the case wire only has space for 2 pins. What should I do. Do I just need to leave the led connector off?
Rks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, OK, get this: 3-pin power LEDs used to be standard, with the center pin unused. Asus switched their boards to 2-pin, other manufacturers followed. So then antec has a case with 2-pin lead, and Asus goes back to 3-pin!

Well, I'm using an old case with a 3-pin lead so it's not a problem for me. Asus doesn't say what the center pin does but it might be a ground. I'd at least try connecting your power LED lead, red to + and black to the unused pin (ie, the middle of the 3-pin location).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, there are 3 pins: +?-

Now, the ? pin can be either +, -, or unconnected. I don't know which it is. But if it's +, you have ++ and nothing happens (neither good nor bad). If it's -, you'll get +-, and the LED will work. If it's + and unconnected, you'll get no result. Any way you look at it, it can't hurt to try.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't bother. I own the same board as you, and just out of curriosity I tried it. No result using the center pin as either + or -, it's not connected as far as I can tell.

So now I'll just recommend you take a 3-pin connector off another cable and put it on your PWR_LED lead. The wires come out when you pry the plastic tab up.

Damn Asus for not making both the center and right pin -, but leaving the center pin disconnected instead!