3000XP FSB 333 and PC3200 RAM

I just bought a 3000XP FSB 333,mobo (A7N8X Deluxe - UAY) and a 512 DDR PC3200 stick. I don't know if I done the right thing. Do I have to run the ram at the same frequency as my CPU? To my knowledge PC3200 runs at 400 mhz? If so should I return the ram for PC2700 which runs at 333mhz? OR can I run the PC3200 at 333mhz? How can I do it if you can?

Also my mobo supports dual channel DDR400, I got 1 stick of 512 DDR PC3200 does dual channel still work with 1 stick of ram or do I have to have 2 sticks of 256?

If anyone can answer my questions I'd be very grateful. This would so simple if I had known that you could get 3000XP in 400 FSB. Guess I should of done my homework.
6 answers Last reply
More about 3000xp pc3200
  1. Yes you can run your PC3200 at PC2700 speeds so it shouldnt be a problem. However with only a single stick of RAM you cant use dual channel, although with athlons dual channel doesnt make a huge difference in performance.

[Insert witty comment here]
  2. Quote:
    I just bought a 3000XP FSB 333,mobo (A7N8X Deluxe - UAY) and a 512 DDR PC3200 stick. I don't know if I done the right thing. Do I have to run the ram at the same frequency as my CPU?

You should for best performance.
    Quote:
    If so should I return the ram for PC2700 which runs at 333mhz?

No, just run your ram at 333MHz.
    Quote:
    How can I do it if you can?

Set Memory Frequency to 100 percent in the BIOS. That will keep you in sync.
    Quote:
    Also my mobo supports dual channel DDR400, I got 1 stick of 512 DDR PC3200 does dual channel still work with 1 stick of ram or do I have to have 2 sticks of 256?

No, need at least 2 memory modules for Dual-channel.

Oops too late, jammy provided the info! :D
  3. Thx guys,

Would you know if dual channel will still work with DDR333 on a A7N8X Deluxe..it says it supports dual channel for DDR400...

Damn computer salesman he didn't tell me 3000XP came in FSB 400. Now i wasted my money buying DDR400 and A7N8X. How much is the price diff. between 3000XP FSB 333 and FSB 400?

Know where I can find a guide to tweak my mobo?
  4. Quote:
    Would you know if dual channel will still work with DDR333 on a A7N8X Deluxe..it says it supports dual channel for DDR400...

Yes, it will work with DDR333.
    Quote:
    Know where I can find a guide to tweak my mobo?

Could find advice/information on BIOS settings here in the overclocking section, <A HREF="http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9" target="_new">Rojak</A>'s, <A HREF="http://nforcershq.com/forum" target="_new">nForcersHQ forum</A>, etc.
  5. First off, depending on when you got the XP3000 you just might have an unlocked chip. That means you have access to unlocked mulipliers. You can tell by either knowing what to look for on the chips (serial numbers) to see the week that it was produced, or, since you already have it installed you can test it to see if it's unlocked.

Secondly, yes, Nforce2 runs much better in sync. But you if your processor "is" unlocked why don't you go for 200/200? Easily done if you move up in steps and jump your vcore up to about 1.725/1.775.

Thirdly you need to enable "expert' settings to actually keep your memory in sync @ 333 unless you OC to 200/200, and in that case you can leave ram setting to "auto" or by "SPD". You always want to look at the resulting frequency to see that it's what you want EG:166/166 or 200/200.

Fourth. The problem was not that you bought the 333 FSB XP3000 instead of the 400 FSB version. But it was that you bought it instead of the XP2500 Barton - and in this case im thinking you got your barton after week 39 here - and if that's the case it's probably locked. Here's the problem. The Locked Barton XP3000 166 FSB version rides on a mulipler of 13X. So even if you were to do a straight FSB overclock you would never reach 200 FSB because the Mhz would be way too high. Now if you had bought the locked XP 2500 you would be set, because <it> sits on a mutliplier of 11x, guess what the XP3200 is also on ... 11x. So all you would have to to is go to 200, and your mem is automatically by "SPD" @ 200. So then you would have a perfect XP3200 by way of front side bus overclocking. You should have purchased the XP2500 if you intended on overclocking. Otherwise you can still overclock the FSB "some". But you will never get it to 200/200.

So I would just keep it and underclock the mem @ 166. 166/166. Be very sure that you dont have an older unlocked version, because in that case your home free with mulipliers and you can run it manually at 11x200, and leave your mem @ "SPD". Only way to know is to change the multiplers aand see if you boot to windows and the Mhz reads as it should..EG: 200x11 @ 200/200 Sync 100% AGP-PCI @ 66/33, and in windows you should see an XP3200. I would try 1.775 Vcore to be sure you boot, and if it does and seems stable, and P95 and memtest 86 are ok, then try to see how far you can lower Vcore and get better temps before a no-boot.

If nothing else your XP3000 is plenty fast enough as it is and just run it @ 166/166. Again you will have to "activate" expert settings to see the "sync" % value.
  6. I don't think you need Dual Channel..from the recent benchmark, it shows that Athlon XP doesn't benefit that much from Dual Channel, it should be running fast enough, since you have a nForce2 based board
    I would say leave it alone with single channel 512MB, then add another one when you feel you really need Dual Channel and 1Gb of RAM
    as we all know..RAM is never enough :wink:
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards DDR RAM Dual Channel