OCZ's Fatal1ty Modular PSU Does 750W

Status
Not open for further replies.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
So sick! I think I will get the 550 watt one though when I build my first computer this summer. (School computer... it's going to be a productivity work horse.)

Silicon Jesus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Putting Fatal1ty on something does not make me want to buy it. Having skills at some obsolete game does not make him a computer engineer.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Even though the article makes the specs seem respectable, having his name on it makes me want to buy it less. I'm not sure what it is about him, but all the items branded with his name turn me away...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I got the 550 one, but I sold it (only cause I sold it to a friend at purchase price) because I was afraid I might need more power, also the cables were short, not great for cable management, hopefully they have fixed that with the new 750, because otherwise the 550 was awesome! very quite, no fan noise or electrical noise. I got the 700W one later, but it's just a re badged older model, and its 120mm fan was terribly noisy, thought it was a fault, but tried another and got the same result... got a Thermaltake TP eventually, but I miss the 550 OCZ!

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
these are just the modxstream pro psu with a red led fan and some fancy stickers

this however is a good thing because the modxsteam psu's are great

I've owned 2 and can't say anything bad about either of them

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, so we vote down anyone who might be positive on the product because "oh, they are tricking people into thinking it was made by Fa1ltal1ty, when really it wasn't, they're a phony, just a big fat phony!"

yes, the 550 was a modxtreme with red lights, it was priced like a modxtreme with red lights! other PSU manufactures take an existing product, add lights and charge a bit more? so what? some people like the lights! I agree with what dj1001 says: the modxtreme psus are great! now you can get ones with lights for a bit more! yay! people who dismiss a product just because its got an irrelevant endorsement on it are just as bad as people who buy stuff just because its got an irrelevant endorsement on it.

Asinger93

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Am I the only one who is seeing a trend in Tom's Hardware articles lately? The few Lian Li and NZXT ones http://www.tomshardware.com/news/HTPC-Gaming-chassis-tool-less-ATX,10395.html, to be specific. It seems that, as opposed to reporting on cutting edge technology that would be actualnews, they are reporting on random pieces of tech hardware. While it may be cool hardware, there is nothing new about a 750W or even modular power supply. Had it been a 1500W PSU, or one that had a massive 12V rail, that would be a different story. However, it appears to me that Tom's Hardware has been taking some sort of monetary compensation (cough) bribe (cough) for these articles.

I used to view Tom's as a respectable news source. Now I see that I was wrong...

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Silicon Jesus[/nom]Putting Fatal1ty on something does not make me want to buy it. Having skills at some obsolete game does not make him a computer engineer.[/citation]

I agree. I think they put Fatal1ty on there so that you would expect good quality while it very well could be junk.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I have a modular corsair 750hx with a single 12v rail (65a I think it is)... wouldnt buy a failtal1ty brand anything... in fact if you even gave me (as in for free) anything with that sellout's name on it I would probably put a .40S&W sized hole in it.

audiosyncracy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I feel that Fatal1ty killed the creative labs sound card lineup. They went from producing decent sound cards aimed at having as many useful ins and outs as possible to these "gamer" cards with fewer useful ins and outs and these features that most people wouldn't use. I also miss those really powerful surround sound systems that came out for the PC.

Getting back on topic, I feel that using his branding here that this product is just gimmicky, as stated here it's just a re-badge of another PSU but with an LED fan. So why not save some money and buy that other power supply and an LED fan than pay to have someone this guys name on your PSU?

simple_inhibition

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
yay..... another Fut1L1ty product.... /endsarcasm

so lemme guess, its a modxtreme 750 with a red led fan, douche de tromps logo plastered all over it with flat cables thrown in. no thanks, ill stick with corsair units

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
My next computer is going to use an OCZ Gold series that are made from their subsidary PC Power and Cooling. Love to support my local San Diego companies, and lets face it not even Corsair can beat PC Power and Cooling.
BTW, why modular? Should just make a case that you can short excess wires in.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Silicon Jesus[/nom]Putting Fatal1ty on something does not make me want to buy it. Having skills at some obsolete game does not make him a computer engineer.[/citation]

CSS isnt obsolete... Itll stay that way until they stop making cheap ass console ports. Which is obviously not in a near future.

And BTW there is a content patch coming for CSS.

But he indeed doesn't no sh*t about power supplies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]asinger93[/nom]Am I the only one who is seeing a trend in Tom's Hardware articles lately? The few Lian Li and NZXT ones , to be specific. It seems that, as opposed to reporting on cutting edge technology that would be actualnews, they are reporting on random pieces of tech hardware. While it may be cool hardware, there is nothing new about a 750W or even modular power supply. Had it been a 1500W PSU, or one that had a massive 12V rail, that would be a different story. However, it appears to me that Tom's Hardware has been taking some sort of monetary compensation (cough) bribe (cough) for these articles. I used to view Tom's as a respectable news source. Now I see that I was wrong...[/citation]

May I ask you if, in your infinite wisdom, you might be able to tell the difference between the news section and the features section?

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]CSS isnt obsolete... Itll stay that way until they stop making cheap ass console ports. Which is obviously not in a near future.And BTW there is a content patch coming for CSS.But he indeed doesn't no sh*t about power supplies.[/citation]

Um, Do you really think Fatal1ty was a pro CSS player?

Try quake 3 moron (yes he played cs 1.6 but he was not top level)

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Agreed. It's like when they give praise to the "Kings of Kong" who gives a shit. If anything by putting his name on it steers me away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.