WiFi and long term health issues

Has anyone run across any ongoing studies
concerning the effects of WiFi and long term health issues.
ie - what is the long term effect of getting bombarded
by very low intensity microwave (WiFi) of a few milliwatts
for an extended period such as might be experienced
by using a WiFi laptop every day
or having an Access Point located close to your working area
or home living/recreation area - family room -

I have not seen anything specific to laptop WiFi or access point
emission; however, there is quite a bit of EMF and non thermal microwave
research that may be extended to address this area. Check out the NIH
(www.hih.gov), you will find information on incident exposure effects
both in treatment based and non treatment based exposure.

Hope that this helps.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:28:44 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

>Has anyone run across any ongoing studies
>concerning the effects of WiFi and long term health issues.

How long would you like? Wi-Fi (ISM low power) has been around for
about 10 years. Commodity Wi-Fi about 5 years. Is 5 years exposure
sufficient. If so, I qualify as an anecdotal benchmark. When I
started in radio, I had a full head of hair, a full bank account, and
a positive attitude. After 40 years of continuous exposure to
wireless, I find my hair falling out, my bank account depleted, and am
developing a rather bad attitude. Surely this could only be caused by
RF exposure.

>ie - what is the long term effect of getting bombarded
>by very low intensity microwave (WiFi) of a few milliwatts
>for an extended period such as might be experienced
>by using a WiFi laptop every day
>or having an Access Point located close to your working area
>or home living/recreation area - family room -

I'm not aware of any organized studies. There have been plenty on the
effects of cell phones, but none that I could find involving 2.4GHz
wireless. The difference is that you use a cell phone with the
antenna right next to your head, while most laptops are not made to be
worn as a hat. Exposure decreases with the square of distance (double
the distance, 1/4 the exposure).

Incidentally, the total exposure from the mid day sun is about 1000
watts per square meter. Most of that is in the visible light region,
but there's quite a bit in the microwave bands. My back of the
envelope guess (probably wrong) is that in the microwave region, solar
radiation is about 10,000 time greater than the RF exposure you would
get from a nearby laptop. I can grind the numbers later (when I have
time) if you're really interested. (Drivel: I calibrate some of my
test equipment and antennas using the handy 5800 degree Kevlin solar
noise source).

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone run across any ongoing studies
> concerning the effects of WiFi and long term health issues.
> ie - what is the long term effect of getting bombarded
> by very low intensity microwave (WiFi) of a few milliwatts
> for an extended period such as might be experienced
> by using a WiFi laptop every day
> or having an Access Point located close to your working area
> or home living/recreation area - family room -

This topic pops up from time to time. Unless you have some part of your body
constantly in near-contact with the wifi adapter, you are not experiencing
milliwatts of power. Intensity drops off as the square of distance.
Visualize your adapter as a tiny baloon with electromagnetic field lines
packed densely on the surface. Now imagine that balloon inflating until it
touches your face. What happens to the density of the field lines? The
transmit power is measured at the antenna, not on the surface of the balloon
that touches your face.

A cell phone held to the ear exposes you to higher field strengths. And you
are probably exposed to stronger EM just by just walking around outdoors on
a sunny day.

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:28:44 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
> <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone run across any ongoing studies
> >concerning the effects of WiFi and long term health issues.
>
> How long would you like? Wi-Fi (ISM low power) has been around for
> about 10 years. Commodity Wi-Fi about 5 years. Is 5 years exposure
> sufficient. If so, I qualify as an anecdotal benchmark. When I
> started in radio, I had a full head of hair, a full bank account, and
> a positive attitude. After 40 years of continuous exposure to
> wireless, I find my hair falling out, my bank account depleted, and am
> developing a rather bad attitude. Surely this could only be caused by
> RF exposure.
>
> >ie - what is the long term effect of getting bombarded
> >by very low intensity microwave (WiFi) of a few milliwatts
> >for an extended period such as might be experienced
> >by using a WiFi laptop every day
> >or having an Access Point located close to your working area
> >or home living/recreation area - family room -
>
> I'm not aware of any organized studies. There have been plenty on the
> effects of cell phones, but none that I could find involving 2.4GHz
> wireless. The difference is that you use a cell phone with the
> antenna right next to your head, while most laptops are not made to be
> worn as a hat. Exposure decreases with the square of distance (double
> the distance, 1/4 the exposure).
>
> Incidentally, the total exposure from the mid day sun is about 1000
> watts per square meter. Most of that is in the visible light region,
> but there's quite a bit in the microwave bands. My back of the
> envelope guess (probably wrong) is that in the microwave region, solar
> radiation is about 10,000 time greater than the RF exposure you would
> get from a nearby laptop. I can grind the numbers later (when I have
> time) if you're really interested. (Drivel: I calibrate some of my
> test equipment and antennas using the handy 5800 degree Kevlin solar
> noise source).

I have not investigated the solar equivalents - but it would be
interesting
to see what kinds of various continuous RF sources are around,
and just how much reaches us from these various sources -
And yup - same bio results here -
I've been about HF, VHF, UHF and microHF ?
and have loss of head covering, enlarging of the frontal area,
loss of stock portfolio equity, loss of positive attitude,
and enlarging of the stacks of books & articles -
Phil - WA9TKA :)

TRENDING THREADS