Sign in with
Your question

64bit freezing

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
September 3, 2010 6:36:47 PM

I recently upgraded to Win 7 64bit, but lately I have had issues with windows just randomly freezing.

I mean it is not just a single program freezing but the entire screen just locks up the busy circle mouse stops spinning the gadget clock stops and time stands still.

I dont know how long these freezes last, but the only way to get out of them is to press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click shut-down, then the computer starts magically responding and shuts-down.

My spec is as follows:
ASUS P6T-SE
Intel Corei7-920
6gb DDR3 Dominator RAM (6x1GB modules)
1gb ATI 4870HD

I have updated all the drivers to 64bit.

please help

More about : 64bit freezing

a b $ Windows 7
September 3, 2010 10:50:16 PM

Could be a driver problem or a RAM problem.

Make sure you are running the latest drivers for all of your hardware and then Memtest86 to test your RAM.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 3, 2010 11:59:19 PM

Check the Event Viewer for any Error events that might give you an idea as to what is causing the problem.
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2010 9:35:21 AM

THank you but I think I may have found the root of the problem. I think it was Norton Internet Securty 2010. I have been running windows for a couple of hours without it, and the incident hasn't happened yet.

But now I am stuck with no internet security, can anyone reccomend a good native x64bit security software
m
l
September 4, 2010 1:15:10 PM

you have an i7 and it does that to you.. I've got an i3 and NEVER had a problem . . I think free anti-virus is best :p  AVG :D 
m
l
September 4, 2010 1:45:12 PM

I one that works well as a firewall, and doesn't hog memory
m
l
!