Blighty Broadband Bragging

AgentSmith

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
For the first time I can remember in a long and heinous time, go ol' blighty has pulled through. Yes ladies and gentlemen, the UK has a slight technological advantage over the US. Reading an article on business web (something about xbox live) I learn that Gates Inc are offering DSL for the (snigger) price of $50 (I don't know how up to date this is so correct me if I'm wrong) a quick hop to the nasdaq currency converter shows that with my ISP (www.ecpilse.co.uk) I am saving $15 a month on ADSL compared to the yanks. $15! I'm paying $35.00 a month and your paying $50. Yes.

Sorry, not meaning to brag but, I'm merely highlighting the fact that the UK is paying 25% less for what is the 'must have' online technology for any 'core gamer.

And it does deserve a post because as any other Blighty-Techie will tell you, the yanks always get everything before we do, for less.

But not this time.

Thats old cyrixs in your eye!

Slowdown? What slowdown? Didn't you know this was a slideshow?

AgentSmith

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
Eclipse: 256 k/bps up, 512 k/bps down, 50:1 user ratio. (Theres about 3 in my area :)

MSN: (4 Companies, up to date)
Bellsouth 1.5 M/bps up, 256 k/bps down, UR Unknown
SBC 768 k/bps up, 128 k/bps down, UR Unknown
Verizon 768 k/bps up, 128 k/bps down, UR Unknown
Qwest 640 k/bps up, 256 k/bps down, UR Unknown

There we are.

Slowdown? What slowdown? Didn't you know this was a slideshow?

G

dude you're getting ripped. j/k. My AT&T cable service tested at a little over 2Mbps (download) at dslr.com. Never tested uploads. Funny it's only advertised as a 1.5Mbps down link. I'm on a special right now and get unlimited service for $19.95 a month. I can't understand why anyone would want DSL after having been on cable for a while.

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
The 2mbps benchmark you get using cable isn't all that accurate. Your cable modem is hardcapped at 1.5 it's not going higher. The small file that the benchmark uses produces inaccurate results. Try <A HREF="http://www.pcpitstop.com" target="_new">http://www.pcpitstop.com</A> often using the cable modem test (512KB) it give results over 2mbps with 1.5mbps cable but by using the extreme test (5MB) you will see that you are getting what your paying for, too bad. :frown:

G

man that bites. doing the extreme test I only got 696Kbps.

I noticed on the site that cable could range from 1.5-3Mbps, I wonder what cable company offers 3.

G

oh wait that was with Kazaa on, I tried it again and got 1462Kbps.

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
Yeah that sounds right. I've heard of AT&T offering 4mbps before but I don't know of anyone anymore that offers more than T1 download (1.5mbps) but cable lines and modems are capable of handling T3 (45mbps) speeds but for various reasons you're not going to see that anytime soon.