Sign in with
Your question

File transfer to cloud or other option (large harddrive image files)

Tags:
  • Cloud Computing
  • Hard Drives
  • File Transfer
  • Business Computing
Last response: in Business Computing
January 30, 2013 5:24:11 PM

I need to transfer Hard drive images that are made for backup purposes, in case the hard drive fails, from the pc they were made on, to either cloud based services or to our off site server.

The hard drive images are anywhere from 5gb to 45gb. I know this is a large file, but I am looking for a quick and effective way to get the files either a) to a cloud based format for download at a later date when needed, or b) to our offsite server for storage until needed later.

Ive tried torrent applications and it was going to take 2 days to transfer a 35GB file.
Our remote desktop software limits the size of file transfers
How quickly will the cloud be able to transfer files of this size?
Do we have to pay to download the file? or only upload? or both?

Any other suggestions anyone would have would be very much welcome!

More about : file transfer cloud option large harddrive image files

January 30, 2013 5:31:50 PM

How far away is the offsite server? (Can they be loaded to an external hard drive and then transferred to the server)

The upload speed is going to be restricted by your ISP - 35GB files are going to take a while anyway you do it over the web...

If there are many files to transfer, if you can't take the drive in person to the co-location facility - can you ship (via UPS/FedEX) to the co-location facility?
January 30, 2013 5:36:42 PM

sneding to the cloud is going to be at whatever speed your upload speed is. If you have 1Mb/s, then it's going to take that times the image size. So assuming a 1Mb/s transfer speed, 45GB is 368640 Mb, /60 seconds in a minute, divided by 60min in an hour, divided by 24 hours in a day, is going to be 4.2 days, using 100% of your upload bandwidth, preventing anyone else from doing anything, and possibly even killing surfing and general office use. I know if I MAX out my 2Mb/s upload connection, no one else on my network can barely use the internet.

If you don't have good upload speed, it's going to be days to upload each image, and hopefully the cloud service has some sort of recovery option if it stops for even a second.

External drive to each workstation seems like a better idea. lol.
Related resources
January 30, 2013 5:43:14 PM

How many systems and images are you talking about? If a small number, getochkn's proposed solution may be the easiest and cheapest. A couple 2TB to 4TB external HDDs can certainly store a bunch of disk images and won't clog your pipes.

Depending on the number of systems and locations, you could also set up a NAS or server to write the images to automatically and keep them updated incrementally.

Please provide more info regarding the structure of your network.
January 30, 2013 7:11:59 PM

The upload speed is 1.6Mb/s. I figured it would take a few days. Ok we will prob go with external hard drive on the workstations and take it from there. Thanks for the quick responses.
January 30, 2013 8:29:31 PM

Hi :) 

This is one situation where the DISADVANTAGES of the Cloud become obvious...

And they will remain so until we get truly symmetric broadband ...

Even my broadband with 100 mb down and 10 mb up would wince at those files... :( 

All the best Brett :) 
January 30, 2013 8:49:08 PM

And, unless it is encrypted, if you use a cloud service, sooner or later your data WILL be sifted by random others for whatever purpose they've paid the cloud vendor to allow, and regardless of what any privacy policy says today. External drives are definitely the way to go.
January 30, 2013 9:35:58 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

This is one situation where the DISADVANTAGES of the Cloud become obvious...

And they will remain so until we get truly symmetric broadband ...

Even my broadband with 100 mb down and 10 mb up would wince at those files... :( 

All the best Brett :) 

Yup, and the best is when they give you speeds at 100Mb/s, and then a 25 or 50gb cap. You can burn that in 3 days with those speeds. Caps don't ever equal being about to use your bandwidth.
!