3 Unpleasant observations

Not sure which of these are new to 1.11 and which have been around since the
last reset, but here goes:

1. I have seen FAR too many boss monsters drop no item OTHER than a gem.

2. Insight stick is bugged in that if your merc dies, he will NOT turn on
his redemption aura again unless you remove and replace his stick

3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened here.
While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it to service
WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and it becomes a
madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE server lag. Last night I
spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the pit with ping times in the low
40s. I had to CE the same corpse 20 times before it would blow up. Just
wasn't getting a time slice from the server.

Mickey

Mickey wrote:
> 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened
> here. While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it
> to service WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and
> it becomes a madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE
> server lag. Last night I spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the
> pit with ping times in the low 40s. I had to CE the same corpse 20
> times before it would blow up. Just wasn't getting a time slice from
> the server.
>
> Mickey

WoW and D2 share server space?

--
chainbreaker

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Mickey wrote:
> > 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened
> > here. While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it
> > to service WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and
> > it becomes a madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE
> > server lag. Last night I spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the
> > pit with ping times in the low 40s. I had to CE the same corpse 20
> > times before it would blow up. Just wasn't getting a time slice from
> > the server.
> >
> > Mickey
>
> WoW and D2 share server space?

All of battle.net runs on AT&T servers. Which servers are dedicated to which
games can be changed. 1.11 has brought a lot of people back to LoD and I
think there simply aren't enough cycles or routers to handle the load.

Mickey

Hi,

"Mickey" <mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in

> 2. Insight stick is bugged in that if your merc dies, he will NOT turn
> on his redemption aura again unless you remove and replace his stick

That's already been happening in 1.10.

> 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened
> here. While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it
> to service WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and it
> becomes a madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE server
> lag. Last night I spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the pit
> with ping times in the low 40s. I had to CE the same corpse 20 times
> before it would blow up. Just wasn't getting a time slice from the
> server.

I remember seeing many more D2 games when I was last on-line more than a
year ago. Being in Germany, I have ping times to USWest about 250-500ms
and gameplay seems to be okay.

But I admit, there isn't so much going on in Normal diff games..

I dunno if shifting servers from an old service to a new one can be
called "stealing cycles". My last D2 box had a sticker saying "7 Million
copies sold", so I guess we can be happy that only a few percent of these
people are playing online..

Regards,

Oliver

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> Mickey wrote:
> > Not sure which of these are new to 1.11 and which have been around
> > since the last reset, but here goes:
> >
> > 1. I have seen FAR too many boss monsters drop no item OTHER than a
> > gem.
>
> Not good.
>
> > 2. Insight stick is bugged in that if your merc dies, he will NOT
> > turn on his redemption aura again unless you remove and replace his
> > stick
>
> Been like that since Insight came out.
>
> > 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened
> > here. While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it
> > to service WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and
> > it becomes a madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE
> > server lag. Last night I spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the
> > pit with ping times in the low 40s. I had to CE the same corpse 20
> > times before it would blow up. Just wasn't getting a time slice from
> > the server.
>
> It might not be that obvious Mickey. It seems that Blizz have implemented
> new verification system with 1.11 involving a few new files on your PC
that
> check you actually have a CD (or image) rather than a loader and a few
other
> things. I believe this is responsible for a lot of the lag with the new
> patch (Ask Alice, she's lagging really badly whereas, pre-patch she was
> fine).

A condition which WOULD exist if, as I said, many players, such as myself,
came back for the patch.

> Also, I'm getting dropped from the game when progressing from one act
> to the next sometimes. I've replaced the video mpq's from the D2 folder
with
> empty ones from Gunde's site to save disk space and so I don't have to
click
> through cinematics I've seen a thousand times. I think these new
> 'protection' files are causing a lot of the percieved 'lag' that people
are
> getting.

I have seen other oddities. Today, while running the pit, I made a TP, went
to town, did my thing and could not reenter the TP. I could interact with
all the NPCs, I could use WPs, but I could NOT go through that TP. This is
server side, no doubt in my mind,

> I might have to do reinstalls to replace the video mpq's so Blizz don't
see
> it as a hack and ban me, they're getting quite aggressive about changed
> files etc. Damn! That'll take a while on four machines, two of which don't
> currently have CD drives installed.

Abe and I were doing tag-team Meph runs today. We employed the old method I
used to annex the bulk of my starting goods. I start the game go to act 5
and run through the portal to PindleLand and make 10 skels. While I do that,
Abe teleports down to Durance 3 and opens a portal. I jump through, decrep,
clay, 10 minions, he and his merc are safe and he orbs Meph down to a sliver
and leaves me for the kill. We got TONS of goodies, including but not
limited to a shako, Duriel's shell and a host of great pally stuff. He was
worried that we might get banned for making new games too fast. I assured
him that if Blizzard ever gets insane enough to ban a necro for botting, I
will buy the company no matter the cost, just to fire everyone for being
terminally ignorant.

Mickey

Mickey wrote:

> 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened here.
> While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it to service
> WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and it becomes a
> madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE server lag. Last night I
> spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the pit with ping times in the low
> 40s.

Sometimes I lag out with pings in the 1,000-4,000 range. Lately (i.e.,
since 1.11), I've been lagging with pings of 200 (normal ping for me).
Does your ping indicate whether it's connection lag vs. server lag?

> I had to CE the same corpse 20 times before it would blow up. Just
> wasn't getting a time slice from the server.

I did some River runs to level my barb. I would kill two critters but
the game would let me hork three or four corpses.

Jill

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
[snip]
> I might have to do reinstalls to replace the video mpq's so Blizz don't
see
> it as a hack and ban me, they're getting quite aggressive about changed
> files etc. Damn! That'll take a while on four machines, two of which don't
> currently have CD drives installed.

No chance of just sharing a drive across a network instead of playing with
hardware configs?
Either that or image the discs on one machine then mount on each PCs virtual
drives?

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message

> I might have to do reinstalls to replace the video mpq's so Blizz don't
see
> it as a hack and ban me, they're getting quite aggressive about changed
> files etc. Damn! That'll take a while on four machines, two of which don't
> currently have CD drives installed.

Since you are also running a multimachine setup (I have three here), have
you been getting false - your key is use by another user followed by your
name - messages? I am getting several a day, still running the same as I did
back with 1.10, but where I got 1-2 the whole time of 1.10, I getting
several a day now. Admittedly it may be happening because I am running all
three along with downloading newsgroups on two of the comps so a packet or
two might get scrambled.

I can usually just jump back to the realm select screen and enter the acct
and password again and it jumps right back to letting me play. This may or
may not be related to some of the failed to join game screens I seem to get
now, or it may be the server overload that others are complaining about.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, "Mickey" wrote:

>> Not sure which of these are new to 1.11 and which have been around since the
>> last reset, but here goes:
>>
>> 1. I have seen FAR too many boss monsters drop no item OTHER than a gem.
>>
>> 2. Insight stick is bugged in that if your merc dies, he will NOT turn on
>> his redemption aura again unless you remove and replace his stick

I've found this to be so, with ANY item that gives an aura to a merc,
since said object first existed.

Keep your merc alive, and this isn't a problem.

>> 3. Lag is, at times, unreal.

Yup.

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> writes:
>Trammel wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
>> [snip]
>>> I might have to do reinstalls to replace the video mpq's so Blizz
>>> don't see it as a hack and ban me, they're getting quite aggressive
>>> about changed files etc. Damn! That'll take a while on four
>>> machines, two of which don't currently have CD drives installed.
>>
>> No chance of just sharing a drive across a network instead of playing
>> with hardware configs?
>
>I've found problems before with mapping a CD drive across a network and
>installing games from that. A lot of games check that the drive is local and
>won't allow it if it isn't.

I have just reinstalled D2 on a machine. I used Daemon Tools to mount
images across the LAN (and locally). Worked fine.

- anton
--
Britton Robbins' D2 PDF Guides: http://www.brittonrobbins.com/D2Info.htm

I think it was "neithskye" <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com>
that wrote something like...

>Mickey wrote:
>
>> 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened here.
>> While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it to service
>> WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and it becomes a
>> madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE server lag. Last night I
>> spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the pit with ping times in the low
>> 40s.
>
>Sometimes I lag out with pings in the 1,000-4,000 range. Lately (i.e.,
>since 1.11), I've been lagging with pings of 200 (normal ping for me).
>Does your ping indicate whether it's connection lag vs. server lag?

That sounds a lot like what's been happening to me. Usually have
pings around 230, but then all too often it lags and a few seconds
later it says my ping is around 3000. Then it might be okay for 5
minutes and it'll happen again. Once the lag spike ends, everything
speeds up a fair amount, but not quite an insane amount.

Sometimes it's okay though. I was doing Baal runs earlier and things
were fine.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

I think it was deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen Shugar) that wrote
something like...

>I think it was "neithskye" <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com>
>that wrote something like...
>
>>Mickey wrote:
>>
>>> 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened here.
>>> While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it to service
>>> WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and it becomes a
>>> madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE server lag. Last night I
>>> spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the pit with ping times in the low
>>> 40s.
>>
>>Sometimes I lag out with pings in the 1,000-4,000 range. Lately (i.e.,
>>since 1.11), I've been lagging with pings of 200 (normal ping for me).
>>Does your ping indicate whether it's connection lag vs. server lag?
>
>That sounds a lot like what's been happening to me. Usually have
>pings around 230, but then all too often it lags and a few seconds
>later it says my ping is around 3000. Then it might be okay for 5
>minutes and it'll happen again. Once the lag spike ends, everything
>speeds up a fair amount, but not quite an insane amount.
>
>Sometimes it's okay though. I was doing Baal runs earlier and things
>were fine.
>
>Ashen Shugar

And then you have moments like now, where the game had been running
okay, but has now decided that it'll multiply your ping by 10.

: (

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

I think it was deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen Shugar) that wrote
something like...

>I think it was deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen Shugar) that wrote
>something like...
>
>>I think it was "neithskye" <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com>
>>that wrote something like...

>>>Sometimes I lag out with pings in the 1,000-4,000 range. Lately (i.e.,
>>>since 1.11), I've been lagging with pings of 200 (normal ping for me).
>>>Does your ping indicate whether it's connection lag vs. server lag?
>>
>>That sounds a lot like what's been happening to me. Usually have
>>pings around 230, but then all too often it lags and a few seconds
>>later it says my ping is around 3000. Then it might be okay for 5
>>minutes and it'll happen again. Once the lag spike ends, everything
>>speeds up a fair amount, but not quite an insane amount.
>>
>>Sometimes it's okay though. I was doing Baal runs earlier and things
>>were fine.
>>
>>Ashen Shugar
>
>And then you have moments like now, where the game had been running
>okay, but has now decided that it'll multiply your ping by 10.
>
>: (
>
>Ashen Shugar

Okay, I'm starting to think that maybe this time it's because of my
house mates. While I never had any trouble running a 2nd computer
though this one before, I'm starting to wonder if connecting their
laptop to the internet through this machine might be causing some of
the trouble. My 2nd computer is connected to the onboard nic but
their laptop is connected to an oldish nic I put in.
Then again, I've gotten similar lag spikes since 1.11 when they don't
have their laptop turned on....

Geh.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Mickey"
<mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and
flopped and said:

>Not sure which of these are new to 1.11 and which have been around since the
>last reset, but here goes:

>1. I have seen FAR too many boss monsters drop no item OTHER than a gem.

Do you mean nothing else whatsoever, not even potions? that sounds like a
new feature.

Also, supposedly (I haven't checked in the data myself), Fangskin in Hell
difficulty now has a new treasure class, except the new treasure class isn't
defined, so he doesn't drop anything.

>2. Insight stick is bugged in that if your merc dies, he will NOT turn on
>his redemption aura again unless you remove and replace his stick

This one has been a problem since the runeword was released last year.

>3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened here.
>While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it to service
>WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and it becomes a
>madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE server lag. Last night I
>spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the pit with ping times in the low
>40s. I had to CE the same corpse 20 times before it would blow up. Just
>wasn't getting a time slice from the server.

Battle.net has been awful for a few weeks, and seems to have now been upgraded
to "bloody terrible".

--
Oh great, an El rune...

> [...]
> > game go to act 5 and run through the portal to PindleLand and make 10
> > skels. While I do that, Abe teleports down to Durance 3 and opens a
> > portal. I jump through, decrep, clay, 10 minions, he and his merc are
> > safe and he orbs Meph down to a sliver and leaves me for the kill. We
> > got TONS of goodies, including but not limited to a shako, Duriel's
> > shell and a host of great pally stuff. He was worried that we might
> > get banned for making new games too fast. I assured him that if
> > Blizzard ever gets insane enough to ban a necro for botting, I will
> > buy the company no matter the cost, just to fire everyone for being
> > terminally ignorant.
>
> LOL, sounds like a good system. I've done similar with Alice in the past.
>
> Conga rats on the finds. I'm not into hell with my necro yet, I'm lacking
> the gear, resists aren't what they could be. MFing in NM isn't nearly as

Resists? Wassat? When I started doing pit runs in hell, I had resists of
18,-75,-71,-46.

My resists have legs :)

Mickey

"neithskye" <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mickey wrote:
>
> > 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened here.
> > While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from it to
service
> > WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back and it becomes a
> > madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE server lag. Last
night I
> > spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of the pit with ping times in the
low
> > 40s.
>
> Sometimes I lag out with pings in the 1,000-4,000 range. Lately (i.e.,
> since 1.11), I've been lagging with pings of 200 (normal ping for me).
> Does your ping indicate whether it's connection lag vs. server lag?
>
> > I had to CE the same corpse 20 times before it would blow up. Just
> > wasn't getting a time slice from the server.
>
> I did some River runs to level my barb. I would kill two critters but
> the game would let me hork three or four corpses.

Lag with pings of 1000+ is a connection issue. Lag with low pings is server
lag. It isn't the connection that is the problem, it is the fact that you
click on something, and your action gets queued up to the server, which is
so busy it takes 5 seconds to respond.

> neithskye wrote:
> > Mickey wrote:
> >
> >> 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened
> >> here. While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from
> >> it to service WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back
> >> and it becomes a madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE
> >> server lag. Last night I spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of
> >> the pit with ping times in the low 40s.
> >
> > Sometimes I lag out with pings in the 1,000-4,000 range. Lately (i.e.,
> > since 1.11), I've been lagging with pings of 200 (normal ping for me).
> > Does your ping indicate whether it's connection lag vs. server lag?
>
> Strange. I know of someone who is getting a similar thing. Ping times
> consistantly in the 40-50 range but still major lag when council members
> spam hydras or she tries to teleport. 2 FPS when she used to consistantly
> get over 50 at all times. Only since the new patch.

I was lagging badly last night with pings in the low 20s. Ping times merely
reflect the transit time between your computer and Blizzard's servers. They
do NOT in any way reflect on the server's response time, which is where this
lag originates. Just to verify this, I ran a trace program. Time between a
mouse click and the sending of it to Blizzard was less than .1 MS, and yet I
was lagging. Yes, I click and the click gets sent out immediately, but it
takes the game server 5 seconds to get around to processing it. I will, if
someone wants, do a more detailed explanation of how transaction processing
is handled, and the fact that the concept of multitasking is actually a
fable :)

Mickey

On that special day, Mickey, (mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net) said...

> oday, while running the pit, I made a TP, went
> to town, did my thing and could not reenter the TP. I could interact with
> all the NPCs, I could use WPs, but I could NOT go through that TP.

I had this happen only once, soon after installing LoD, which means, it
must have been in the time of patch 1.07. It happened in the Bloody
foothills. Maybe an old bug has risen its ugly head again.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

"Gabriele Neukam" <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in message
> On that special day, Mickey, (mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net) said...
>
> > oday, while running the pit, I made a TP, went
> > to town, did my thing and could not reenter the TP. I could interact
with
> > all the NPCs, I could use WPs, but I could NOT go through that TP.
>
> I had this happen only once, soon after installing LoD, which means, it
> must have been in the time of patch 1.07. It happened in the Bloody
> foothills. Maybe an old bug has risen its ugly head again.

Blizzard has a near perfect record of finding a way to re-introduce a
previously 'fixed' bug with each patch :)

Mickey

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, "Mickey" wrote:

>> the fact that the concept of multitasking is actually a
>> fable :)
>>
>> Mickey

It is NOT a fable... but it isn't well implemented in may situations
bragging about their advanced multi-tasking.

I code in a Real-Time environment, and multi-tasking is one of the
Sources Of Aggravating Head-aches. Critical Regions and thread
pre-emption are the burden I bear. Multi-tasking exists... just not
often the theoretical picture of multi-tasking.

> Mickey wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message

> >> Strange. I know of someone who is getting a similar thing. Ping times
> >> consistantly in the 40-50 range but still major lag when council
> >> members spam hydras or she tries to teleport. 2 FPS when she used to
> >> consistantly get over 50 at all times. Only since the new patch.
> >
> > I was lagging badly last night with pings in the low 20s. Ping times
> > merely reflect the transit time between your computer and Blizzard's
> > servers. They do NOT in any way reflect on the server's response
> > time, which is where this lag originates. Just to verify this, I ran
> > a trace program. Time between a mouse click and the sending of it to
> > Blizzard was less than .1 MS, and yet I was lagging. Yes, I click and
> > the click gets sent out immediately, but it takes the game server 5
> > seconds to get around to processing it. I will, if someone wants, do
> > a more detailed explanation of how transaction processing is handled,
> > and the fact that the concept of multitasking is actually a fable :)
>
> Not needed for me Mickey, I fully understand where you're coming from.
> However, it's my contention that it's the new .dll's and the checking that
> is going on (server-side) that is causing these lag issues that everyone
is
> seeing, as opposed to congestion bought on by more players of late. I
think
> this new anti-'hacking', anti-piracy measure is taking up a lot of server
> CPU power and impacting on the game-play.
>
> Hell, Blizz just recently banned over 30 thousand CD keys for breaches of
> their TOS. That happened to include the leaders on most of the ladders. I
> would say those 30K users were *very* heavy utilisers of the servers and
> would have lightened the load considerably.
>
> (What's the command again to see how many players in how many games are
> currently logged on to a server?)

It doesn't make sense. Any check would be done when you enter or leave a
game.
The lag spikes that pop up, last a few minutes and then go away simply do
not support this concept, but they do, in every way, support the notion of
over-stressed servers.

Mickey

"Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, "Mickey" wrote:
>
> >> the fact that the concept of multitasking is actually a
> >> fable :)
> >>
> >> Mickey
>
> It is NOT a fable... but it isn't well implemented in may situations
> bragging about their advanced multi-tasking.
>
> I code in a Real-Time environment, and multi-tasking is one of the
> Sources Of Aggravating Head-aches. Critical Regions and thread
> pre-emption are the burden I bear. Multi-tasking exists... just not
> often the theoretical picture of multi-tasking.

True multi-tasking exists only on computers built from arrays of processors,
like IBM's Deep Blue. The concept that a Windows XP machine is multi-tasking
is a fable. It is time slicing, nothing more.

Mickey

Craig

>>> 3. Lag is, at times, unreal. It is QUITE obvious what has happened
>>> here. While LoD play was waning, Blizzard was stealing cycles from
>>> it to service WoW. Then along comes 1.11, lots of people come back
>>> and it becomes a madhouse. This is not connection lag, this is PURE
>>> server lag. Last night I spent 32 minutes clearing out level 2 of
>>> the pit with ping times in the low 40s.
>>
>> Sometimes I lag out with pings in the 1,000-4,000 range. Lately
>> (i.e., since 1.11), I've been lagging with pings of 200 (normal ping
>> for me). Does your ping indicate whether it's connection lag vs.
>> server lag?
>
> That sounds a lot like what's been happening to me. Usually have
> pings around 230, but then all too often it lags and a few seconds
> later it says my ping is around 3000. Then it might be okay for 5
> minutes and it'll happen again. Once the lag spike ends, everything
> speeds up a fair amount, but not quite an insane amount.

this is also happening on the WoW servers except their pingometer doesn't
register any change in ping times at all even though your locked in mid cast
or some such, however it doesn't seem to affect messages since you can
compare circumstances realtime.

Craig

I think it was "Mickey" <mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net> that wrote
something like...

>"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Mickey wrote:
>> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message

>> > I was lagging badly last night with pings in the low 20s. Ping times
>> > merely reflect the transit time between your computer and Blizzard's
>> > servers. They do NOT in any way reflect on the server's response
>> > time, which is where this lag originates. Just to verify this, I ran
>> > a trace program. Time between a mouse click and the sending of it to
>> > Blizzard was less than .1 MS, and yet I was lagging. Yes, I click and
>> > the click gets sent out immediately, but it takes the game server 5
>> > seconds to get around to processing it. I will, if someone wants, do
>> > a more detailed explanation of how transaction processing is handled,
>> > and the fact that the concept of multitasking is actually a fable :)
>>
>> Not needed for me Mickey, I fully understand where you're coming from.
>> However, it's my contention that it's the new .dll's and the checking that
>> is going on (server-side) that is causing these lag issues that everyone
>is
>> seeing, as opposed to congestion bought on by more players of late. I
>think
>> this new anti-'hacking', anti-piracy measure is taking up a lot of server
>> CPU power and impacting on the game-play.
>>
>> Hell, Blizz just recently banned over 30 thousand CD keys for breaches of
>> their TOS. That happened to include the leaders on most of the ladders. I
>> would say those 30K users were *very* heavy utilisers of the servers and
>> would have lightened the load considerably.
>>
>> (What's the command again to see how many players in how many games are
>> currently logged on to a server?)
>
>It doesn't make sense. Any check would be done when you enter or leave a
>game.

Actually, that may not be very useful. Now, I have no idea how any of
the various maphacks work, but wouldn't it be possible for you to
start a game and *then* activate it, and then turn it off again before
quitting?

>The lag spikes that pop up, last a few minutes and then go away simply do
>not support this concept, but they do, in every way, support the notion of
>over-stressed servers.
>
>Mickey

Ahh, but what's stressing them? Lots more players per server or more
work to do per player?
And if people are doing things like key runs, countess runs, Meph
runs, Elderitch/pindle runs etc, even if the hack check is only on
entry and exit of a game, that could be going off every few minutes
for a lot of players.

"Ashen Shugar" <deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> I think it was "Mickey" <mickeySPAMb@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net> that wrote
> something like...
>

> >"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message

PURE

> >> Not needed for me Mickey, I fully understand where you're coming from.
> >> However, it's my contention that it's the new .dll's and the checking
that
> >> is going on (server-side) that is causing these lag issues that
everyone
> >is
> >> seeing, as opposed to congestion bought on by more players of late. I
> >think
> >> this new anti-'hacking', anti-piracy measure is taking up a lot of
server
> >> CPU power and impacting on the game-play.
> >>
> >> Hell, Blizz just recently banned over 30 thousand CD keys for breaches
of
> >> their TOS. That happened to include the leaders on most of the ladders.
> >> would say those 30K users were *very* heavy utilisers of the servers
and
> >> would have lightened the load considerably.
> >>
> >> (What's the command again to see how many players in how many games are
> >> currently logged on to a server?)
> >
> >It doesn't make sense. Any check would be done when you enter or leave a
> >game.
>
> Actually, that may not be very useful. Now, I have no idea how any of
> the various maphacks work, but wouldn't it be possible for you to
> start a game and *then* activate it, and then turn it off again before
> quitting?

Ys, but that the client could pick up and send to bnet. If that is the case,
then it would attribute the lag to a LOAD of players turning on maphack on
entry to games. Anyone who is actually out there playing knows that is
simply NOT the case.

Mickey