Advice for potential newbie

I previously had DSL but haved moved house to an NTL Cabled area. I have the
750k package which roughly downloads from newsgroups at 80-85k per second.
My connection is installed upstairs while I plan on having the computer
downstairs (maybe). If I attach my wireless router upstairs, is it capable
of sustaining 80-85k per second?

Also I previously had a wired router and found the speeds between two
computers pretty impressive when transferring files. How fast could 2
computers transfer theoretically 1GB of data?

How do I stop people in the area, stealing my bandwidth when I am on the
internet?? I have heard that wireless is not 100% secure

Lastly, I plan on getting this router and a couple of cards, can anyone
recommend this router.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45023

Thanks
John

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

just add incription in the Wrouter and keep the key in a safe place.

"fitzybhoy" <whistle48@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I previously had DSL but haved moved house to an NTL Cabled area. I have
>the
> 750k package which roughly downloads from newsgroups at 80-85k per second.
> My connection is installed upstairs while I plan on having the computer
> downstairs (maybe). If I attach my wireless router upstairs, is it capable
> of sustaining 80-85k per second?
>
> Also I previously had a wired router and found the speeds between two
> computers pretty impressive when transferring files. How fast could 2
> computers transfer theoretically 1GB of data?
>
> How do I stop people in the area, stealing my bandwidth when I am on the
> internet?? I have heard that wireless is not 100% secure
>
> Lastly, I plan on getting this router and a couple of cards, can anyone
> recommend this router.
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2
> 92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45023
>
> Thanks
> John

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:39:03 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "fitzybhoy"
<whistle48@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I previously had DSL but haved moved house to an NTL Cabled area. I have the
>750k package which roughly downloads from newsgroups at 80-85k per second.
>My connection is installed upstairs while I plan on having the computer
>downstairs (maybe). If I attach my wireless router upstairs, is it capable
>of sustaining 80-85k per second?

Yes. Even 802.11b is rated at ~5Mbps throughput ie ~10x your broadband
capacity. I can sit in the garden ~100ft from my AP and still get
full-speed internet.

>Also I previously had a wired router and found the speeds between two
>computers pretty impressive when transferring files. How fast could 2
>computers transfer theoretically 1GB of data?

MUCH slower than wired - if you've a 100meg full duplex wired lan, then 11b
will be about 20x slower.

>How do I stop people in the area, stealing my bandwidth when I am on the
>internet?? I have heard that wireless is not 100% secure

Enable all of WEP, WPA, Mac address filtering that your AP permits.

--
Mark McIntyre

"Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:39:03 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "fitzybhoy"
> <whistle48@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I previously had DSL but haved moved house to an NTL Cabled area. I have
the
> >750k package which roughly downloads from newsgroups at 80-85k per
second.
> >My connection is installed upstairs while I plan on having the computer
> >downstairs (maybe). If I attach my wireless router upstairs, is it
capable
> >of sustaining 80-85k per second?
>
> Yes. Even 802.11b is rated at ~5Mbps throughput ie ~10x your broadband
> capacity. I can sit in the garden ~100ft from my AP and still get
> full-speed internet.

Cheers

> >Also I previously had a wired router and found the speeds between two
> >computers pretty impressive when transferring files. How fast could 2
> >computers transfer theoretically 1GB of data?
>
> MUCH slower than wired - if you've a 100meg full duplex wired lan, then
11b
> will be about 20x slower.

Cheers, the above means nothing to me :)
All I used was a patch lead, the speed was pretty impressive (i thought)
between the two computers
Although I do plan on using the 54 cards

> >How do I stop people in the area, stealing my bandwidth when I am on the
> >internet?? I have heard that wireless is not 100% secure
>
> Enable all of WEP, WPA, Mac address filtering that your AP permits.

Cheers again

John