Sign in with
Your question

Triple monitor software

Last response: in Video Games
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 13, 2010 6:40:57 PM

Hello, I have just set up 3x dell ultra sharp 17 monitor, installed 2x nvidia 8800gt/gts cards all-be-it on a crossfire board, so no SLI link, I am wanting to know where to go from here in reference to software for such a set-up and also top games played in triple mode, me and me young son are into driving and shooting/action games, thanks
February 13, 2010 6:53:46 PM

nvidia control panel has settings for setting up multiple monitors. check there and tell me if it works. It lets you arrange each one and what order they go in so you can get one continuous screen.
February 13, 2010 7:05:10 PM

Sorry dude, you can't do it with how you have things set up.

Firstly you can only run 2 monitors when you have SLI enabled (unless you have another graphics card independent of the SLI connection).

As you have no SLI at all then you can do multiple monitors for your desktop, but games will only run on your primary monitor.
Related resources
February 13, 2010 7:11:50 PM

Dont those cards have two dvi slots though? and obviously you cant be playing two games at once. thats a given.
February 13, 2010 7:25:45 PM

Yeah, each card has 2 DVI ports on it, so the OP can run 4 monitors for Windows desktop. The minute SLI is enabled, only the 2 monitors on the primary card will work.

In the OP's case, there's no SLI option at all because it's a Crossfire board, so games will only run on the primary monitor of the primary card. Of course multi-monitor-aware games like World in Conflict or Flight Simulator X will use both monitors attached to the primary card.

http://uk.slizone.com/object/sli_multi_monitor.html
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 13, 2010 8:53:44 PM

thanks dudes for the replies, think I am going to have to bite the bullet some more and invest in some ATI/Radeon cards maybe the 4850/4870's, since the mother board is new to me (P45 Platinum), at least I have got all three monitors running indepent (ish) at the moment
February 13, 2010 11:58:43 PM

what exactly do you want to do diphot?

The 5000 series cards have Eyefinity which allows you to run 3 monitors off 1 card (you will need one of you monitors to have DisplayPort though).

You can probably use Eyefinity to run 3 monitors with Crossfire - maybe look into a pair of 5770s in Crossfire.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 14, 2010 5:30:09 AM

I am a photographer, so use eye 1 hardware & software to calibrate my digital screens (Dell Ultra sharp 17) to correct screen/print colour resolution problems, 3 screens obviously increase my productivity but I also enjoy gaming.

Now my boy has gradually taken over the PS3 and I have a new board & cards etc etc I wish to get into PC gaming more, hence the original question, but wish to use all three screens for ultimate effects,

cheer
February 14, 2010 1:06:32 PM

OK, first off you'll need a game that is actually multi-monitor aware. Unless you do a crazy ultra-wide resolution as a single desktop and get the game to use that you'll probably end up just using the primary monitor.

You'll also need a more powerful graphics card to drive such a resolution than what you already have too.

I'd strongly suggest looking into the Radeon 5000 series (5770 and above really) and see where that takes you.
!