Do i need to replace my north brdge fan?

WyrmHunter

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003
I have a semi old Asus A7M266 motherboard(http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7M266&langs=09) with a 1.3 ghz athlon procesor, its workign fine but lately the northbridge fan began to isolate up and down and make noises and such, the bearing is probably loose. My question is do i need to replace it or can it run fine without the fan(or heatsink for that matter).

if not i'd apreciate if somone gave me a link to where i can get em fans cheap ;d

the noise is really horrible it drowns out all the other fans and the hardrive noise all by itself. Any help woudl be apreciated. thanks in advance

rox

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Monotor your temps closely. I would just get a Blue-Orb Thermal Take fan and use Artic Silver 3 on it and be done with it. You can get them at diretron or SVC, or Allstarshop.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
My friend has a Gigabyte motherboard, a VIA KT400 mobo
there was a fan on the northbridge, he removes it longtime ago, his system still runs perfectly.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Removing the fan shouldnt be a huge problem if you are not overclocking (my northbridge is passivly cooled anyway). However i would not remove the heatsink.

[Insert witty comment here]