Empathy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I need desperate help. I have been building systems for awhile, but have never ran into the problem I am having now. I was in the process of upgrading my home system from a Asus P4B533 mobo to a p4c800-e. I got everything connected to get a post on the mobo and cpu. bur rite when I pluged my power supply in and turned it on to get a post I heard a sizzle pop and white smoke come out of my psu. The PSU still runs but the fans on the cpu and radeon 9700pro card turn slowly and the asus reporter says cpu error. This was a Vantec 520A Stealth PSU. I went and bought a Fortosmo 300 watt psu and when i turn the system on the fans turn a fraction of a second on the cpu then nothing no boot or post message. I tried this on my old mobo as well as various processors and the same thing happens, although, it will turn the fans on the old mobo but no post message. I hook up the smoked one and get the cpu error. The lights on the ram as well as the standby mobo lights come on the old mobo. But only the standby light comes on with the new board with the new power supply. I know this sounds kind of cryptid, but I need help. Is it the PSU or the motherboard?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
It was first the PSU but may have then went to the mobo. Put the CPU in that P4B533 mobo with the 300wt psu with only the bare essentials to get it to post to see if the CPU also took a tank. Looks like you had a surge in your psu and popped a resistor or two and may have work its way to the system.

The Vantec PSU is definately gone and most likely the mobo too. The mobo is designed to stop the buck when it comes to surges but its not perfect and could go to the cpu and any other devices plugged into it but thats very rare with the mobos these days.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)

Empathy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I hooked up the old mobo first to the new psu (300 watt fortomo) and it barely ran the fans and got no post error. I hooked up the old psu to it and got the post error of the cpu. I tried various cpus with the old mobo and new psu as well and the same thing/the fans run but no post message. I ran it just using the new psu, mobo 1 stick of ram and the radeon card. No post at all with the old mobo and psu. Just the fans barely run, the lights on the ram (geil 3500 ultra g/Dragon) and the standby light come on. With the new mobo the new psu turn it a fraction of a second and that is it. I hooked up the old psu up to the new mobo and it runs the fans and the lights come on but thats it along with the same post message.
Someone told me if the mobo was gone it would not even do that, or at least I am hoping on that. I have ordered an thermaltake 480w silentpower. Is it that the 300 watt will not run these high end asus boards?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
With all your stuf plugged into probably not. Youd need at least 400wt for machines these days.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)

Empathy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I took the new mobo, psu, cpu and ram back to the shop I got them from. They are going to RMA it, if there are problems with one of the components. I was told my 9700pro card was fine because the surge would of stoped at the cpu before it it the graphics card. I also ordered a new Thermaltake purepower 480w+pfc. They also agreed to reimb for the forton and apply the credit to the new psu. I did have the radeon card pluged in to the old psu when it went, which got me worried, but they hooked it up to a differant system and it was fine. (whew!!) I am still puzzled why a top of the line vantec 520a would blow with the new Asus p4c800-e mobo. When I get the RMA's done I am going to run just the SATA HD's 4x120 2 in the raid-0 and the other 2/1 as the os drive and other as the secondary master on the 2nd Sata port.