SMC Barricade SMC7004AWBR no connection

I bought an SMC7004AWBR a while ago. After having upgraded the firmware to
1.94a _nothing_ works!

No WLAN signal at all. I have tried to change the firmware by accessing the
router through cable, but that doesn't work either.

After having done some research i contacted the router with a nullmodem
cable and Hyperterminal, and that works fine. I get to enable/disable DHCP,
change IP adress, change pw, and so on. Still no signal or result trying to
connect through ethernet cable or wireless.

Is it possible to up- or downgrade the firmware through the nullmodem cable?
Or is it some oher solution tha might work?

Regards
Ola

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:35:58 +0200, "Ola Aas Seeberg"
<oseeberg@netcom.no> wrote:

>I bought an SMC7004AWBR a while ago. After having upgraded the firmware to
>1.94a _nothing_ works!
>
>No WLAN signal at all. I have tried to change the firmware by accessing the
>router through cable, but that doesn't work either.
>
>After having done some research i contacted the router with a nullmodem
>cable and Hyperterminal, and that works fine. I get to enable/disable DHCP,
>change IP adress, change pw, and so on. Still no signal or result trying to
>connect through ethernet cable or wireless.
>
>Is it possible to up- or downgrade the firmware through the nullmodem cable?
>Or is it some oher solution tha might work?

I don't know. See:
http://www.kataan.org/techref/barricade.html
for some good hints. You'll need a paper clip.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Just curious but what problem(s) did you have that caused you to upgrade the
firmware?
You can not ping it at all?
Any firewalls enabled on the router or computers?
Do you need to release your computer's TCP/IP(?) connections so they can be
renewed??
On WIN98SE winipcfg.exe
Not sure what OS you are using.

sorry but I am trying to learn more by asking questions. :)
later,
dave

"Ola Aas Seeberg" <oseeberg@netcom.no> wrote in message
> I bought an SMC7004AWBR a while ago. After having upgraded the firmware to
> 1.94a _nothing_ works!
>
> No WLAN signal at all. I have tried to change the firmware by accessing
the
> router through cable, but that doesn't work either.
>
> After having done some research i contacted the router with a nullmodem
> cable and Hyperterminal, and that works fine. I get to enable/disable
DHCP,
> change IP adress, change pw, and so on. Still no signal or result trying
> connect through ethernet cable or wireless.
>
> Is it possible to up- or downgrade the firmware through the nullmodem
cable?
> Or is it some oher solution tha might work?
>
> Regards
> Ola

> Just curious but what problem(s) did you have that caused you to upgrade
the
> firmware?

Well... none, I suppose. Just another time when the saying "if it works,
don't fix it" applies... The firmware was "old", so I thought that if the
manufacturer makes new firmware, it has to be a reason for it...

> You can not ping it at all?

No. No response when I try to ping the router. I do get contact with it
through nullmodem cable, and get confirmation that the IP adress is the
default 192.168.123.254
If I could ping it, I probably could down- or upgrade the router too.

> Any firewalls enabled on the router or computers?

No firewall enabled.

> Do you need to release your computer's TCP/IP(?) connections so they can
be
> renewed??

There is no contact with the router or its DHCP server, so I can't renew it
either. (Did I understand you correctly here?)

> On WIN98SE winipcfg.exe

I have no contact with the router, and have tried ipconfig on my WinXP pro,
but no response.

> Not sure what OS you are using.

> sorry but I am trying to learn more by asking questions. :)

That's ok. That forces me to think trough the problem once more, and that's
a sensible thing to do.

The only way I can contact the router is through nullmodem cable... Any good
ideas?

Ola

ola

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<9r3ul012g357r9kkmchc3hmmrjlvel7tpe@4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 21:37:15 +0200, "Ola Aas Seeberg"
> <oseeberg@netcom.no> wrote:
>
> >The only way I can contact the router is through nullmodem cable... Any good
> >ideas?
>
> Apparently, my last message didn't appear. Try:
> http://www.kataan.org/techref/barricade.html

Thank you. I have tried to reset the router the ways described...no
response.
...or to be correct - no change, or at least I thought so..

But.. miracle over miracles:
After having reset the router before the weekend, I let it stand with
the power on for a few days. Today I started my laptop to do some
work, and there it was: A wireless connection to a network called
"default". I wondered which of my neighbours had installed a new wlan,
untill I powered off my SMC. The connection was lost..

It seems that my router decided to get well over the weekend, and
start working again. What happened? I had to connect to the router
with a nullmodem cable to reset the dhcp server, and - voila! I was
surfing the net. I renamed SSID and made it a little less accessible
with wep-encryption. No problem doing that either...

I still don't understand what made it work again, and that bothers me
a bit...

Now I don't dare to touch it at all, as long as it works.

Ola

On 4 Oct 2004 00:09:11 -0700, oseeberg@netcom.no (Ola) wrote:

>But.. miracle over miracles:
>After having reset the router before the weekend, I let it stand with
>the power on for a few days. Today I started my laptop to do some
>work, and there it was: A wireless connection to a network called
>"default". I wondered which of my neighbours had installed a new wlan,
>untill I powered off my SMC. The connection was lost..
>
>It seems that my router decided to get well over the weekend, and
>start working again. What happened? I had to connect to the router
>with a nullmodem cable to reset the dhcp server, and - voila! I was
>surfing the net. I renamed SSID and made it a little less accessible
>with wep-encryption. No problem doing that either...
>
>I still don't understand what made it work again, and that bothers me
>a bit...
>
>Now I don't dare to touch it at all, as long as it works.

Congrats.
There are some possible causes:
1. Overheating. As I vaguely recall (not sure), the 7004 has a
rather inspipid clip-on heat sink on the voltage regulator. Reseat.
2. Defective Low-ESR electrolytic capacitors. See:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html
http://www.ec-central.org/magazine/nov_dec_02/taiwanese_cap.pdf
http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Repair/
http://www.feistworks.com/ben/3comfix/
I have replaced literally hundreds of the capacitors. Mostly on
motherboards, but also on power supplies, VCR's, TV's, and older
Apple/Lucent access points. The problem window is devices made in
Taiwan between about 1999 and late 2003.
3. Defective or marginal external power supply.
4. Low AC power line voltage. Are the lights dim?
5. Divine intervention. Prayer sometimes works.
6. Offers of burnt sacrifice were accepted by the gods. You may want
to repeat the exercise to insure continued operation. Human sacrific
is usually not needed to repair a router, but does seem to work for
file/web/mail/news server related issues.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Hi
you are not allone with this fuzzy behaviour. Have same expierience ,
but the other way round: worked propperly and after restarting a cable
connected PC it stopped working wireless. no network is seen by a
wireless notebook. Latest german firmware 1.96h.
Cable connections work.
you really will wait until this fuzzy things acts again ?

--
thomas juestel

ola

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

thomas juestel <thomas.juestel.1dlmia@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message news:<thomas.juestel.1dlmia@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au>...
> Hi
> you are not allone with this fuzzy behaviour. Have same expierience ,
> but the other way round: worked propperly and after restarting a cable
> connected PC it stopped working wireless. no network is seen by a
> wireless notebook. Latest german firmware 1.96h.
> Cable connections work.
> you really will wait until this fuzzy things acts again ?

Well.. I have been without wireless connection for a while bescuse of
the trouble I had, so I had already started looking around for a new
one. I found that the cost was only about €75 for a new accesspoint,
so I think I'll see what happens when I have been using my fuzzy SMC
for a few weeks. (If it lasts that long)
Regarding your problem, you made the same experience as me. "If it
works, don't fix it..."
You probably have to downgrade the firmware to a lower version. Google
around, and there's lots of solutions out there, as long as you are
able to connect to the web gui via ethernet cable.

Regards
Ola

ola

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

> >Now I don't dare to touch it at all, as long as it works.
>
> Congrats.
> There are some possible causes:
> 1. Overheating. As I vaguely recall (not sure), the 7004 has a
> rather inspipid clip-on heat sink on the voltage regulator. Reseat.
> 2. Defective Low-ESR electrolytic capacitors. See:
> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html
> http://www.ec-central.org/magazine/nov_dec_02/taiwanese_cap.pdf
> http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Repair/
> http://www.feistworks.com/ben/3comfix/
> I have replaced literally hundreds of the capacitors. Mostly on
> motherboards, but also on power supplies, VCR's, TV's, and older
> Apple/Lucent access points. The problem window is devices made in
> Taiwan between about 1999 and late 2003.
> 3. Defective or marginal external power supply.
> 4. Low AC power line voltage. Are the lights dim?
> 5. Divine intervention. Prayer sometimes works.
> 6. Offers of burnt sacrifice were accepted by the gods. You may want
> to repeat the exercise to insure continued operation. Human sacrific
> is usually not needed to repair a router, but does seem to work for
> file/web/mail/news server related issues.

Thanks. I'll look into the links and other possible causes you
provided. If I don't come closer to a solution, at least I will learn
something.

So far I am leaning towards cause #5. If it should fail me again, I
may have to go to #6 and burn some diskettes, or maybe even a cd or
two. If that doesn't work I will sacrifice the router itself..

Ola

On 5 Oct 2004 04:03:17 -0700, oseeberg@netcom.no (Ola) wrote:

>Thanks. I'll look into the links and other possible causes you
>provided. If I don't come closer to a solution, at least I will learn
>something.

One must always suffer before enlightenment.

>So far I am leaning towards cause #5. If it should fail me again, I
>may have to go to #6 and burn some diskettes, or maybe even a cd or
>two. If that doesn't work I will sacrifice the router itself..

The sacrifice must be something of value. Offering sacrifice of
something that costs nothing is a waste of time. It's also both the
advantage and problem with prayer. Prayer costs little and is often
worth the same. I would recommend burnt offerings instead.

I did some research on sacrificial offerings and found a few useful
guidelines. Leviticus recommends "young ram" as the recommended
sacrificial object. Check the date code on your sacrificial memory
chips, SDRAM, RDRAM, DDR RAM, etc, where anything less than a year or
two should be sufficiently young.

It might also help to get a haircut. From Numbers 6:13-18
"...Then the priest shall bring them before the Lord and offer
his sin offering and his burnt offering... Then the Nazirite
shall shave his consecrated head at the door of the tabernacle
of meeting, and shall take the hair from his consecrated head
and put it on the fire which under the sacrifice of the peace
offering...
The popularity of skin-head lack of hair styles among todays kids will
attest to the popularity of this method of sacrifice and attonement.
One catch is that the smell of burning hair is awful. I suggest you
stay up-wind of the altar, hibacci, or whatever you use to burn the
hair.

With sacrificial offerings, there is also an implied admission of
having sined in some manner. Have you been hacking away in the night?
Did you connect to your neighbors access point and covet their
bandwidth? Have you failed to perform the necessary daily software
update rituals? Did you perhaps utter a 4 letter incantation before
the flash upgrade? Were you nasty to the tech support priesthood?
Did you forget to read the sacred book of "Read Me First" and "Getting
Started"? All these sins can be mitigigated by prayer and sacrificial
burnt offerings, but require complete disclosure to be truely
effective. This need not be done publicly as inscribing them upon
paper and immolating the paper along with the burnt offerings is
sufficient to send them to a higher authority.

Hopefully, this will help solve your router problem.

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> Hopefully, this will help solve your router problem.

Young RAM? Skinhead haircuts? What's wrong with the tried and true
old-fashioned ways? Sacrificing a chicken on top of the monitor a;lways
solved my video problems.

--
Steve

Our representative government today is perhaps more representative than it
has ever been before in history. It is not necessarily representative _per
capita_, but it most surely is _ad valorem_.
- Fred Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth, "The Space Merchants" [1953]