Upgrade options for Intel 850MVL?

energy1man

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004
I have an Intel 850MVL board with a P4 1.9 GHz processor, I am considering upgrading the processor. The Intel website says the board is compatiable with P4's upto 2.6 GHz. I would like to know if it is compatiable with the 400Mhz bus Celeron processors also, due to the $200 price difference in the two lines of of processors?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I doubt a Celeron 2.6GHz would perform any better than your sucky old 1.9GHz Williamette. Go to the CPU section at Anandtech and read the "clash of the 'rons" article, you'll see that the fastest Celeron they tested was slower than the slowest P4 they tested.

You could run a P4 2.6A (A meaning 400 bus) if you could find one, or the more common 2.4A. Some sites have been offering these at closeout prices due to their age, see if Tigerdirect can beat Newegg's price on these.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>