February 15, 2010 3:09:23 PM

hi all, my computer is of decent spec:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR3 1066
ATI radeon HD 4870 1GB
Win XP SP2

i run the game on 1440x900 max settings with AA X2

however my FPS in general is only 40-60

i've read alot of players have far more FPS than my setup with identical settings. Anyone suffer from FPS related problems on here?

need some advice thanks.

also just wondering if CCC 10.1 is any better or worse than 9.12?
i've read alot of posts regarding glitches in the driver with no actually improvement for the 4800s series. can anyone verifiy this? thanks

More about : fps problem aion

February 15, 2010 9:05:48 PM

xaviertwav said:
also just wondering if CCC 10.1 is any better or worse than 9.12?
i've read alot of posts regarding glitches in the driver with no actually improvement for the 4800s series. can anyone verifiy this? thanks

Yes, that is true. 10.1 was basically a re-release of 9.12 with some added bugs and supposedly better FPS for the 5700 + 5800 series cards which I imagine you do not own one of those. IMO no harm done in downgrading to the 9.12, but if you do, note your FPS before and after with the 10.1 versus the 9.12.

I don't see a problem with 40-60 FPS? That's great, and for a game like Aion you don't need super high FPS. I don't see the issue, lol?
February 16, 2010 5:03:50 AM

Jamrock said:
Yes, that is true. 10.1 was basically a re-release of 9.12 with some added bugs and supposedly better FPS for the 5700 + 5800 series cards which I imagine you do not own one of those. IMO no harm done in downgrading to the 9.12, but if you do, note your FPS before and after with the 10.1 versus the 9.12.

I don't see a problem with 40-60 FPS? That's great, and for a game like Aion you don't need super high FPS. I don't see the issue, lol?

40-60 FPS is fine by me in normal questing areas with little or moderate amount of people running around. But the FPS drops greatly down to 5-15 FPS in cities or fort sieges when they are noticeably more people on screen which basically makes it very unplayable.

My actually concern is that the card is not performing as well as it should be.
Related resources
February 16, 2010 7:47:01 PM

Everyone lags like mad during Fort Sieges lol. There's no way around it but lowering your graphics settings for them. Cities, never really had a problem there on my MBP, although a bit laggy at times.

You could run 3DMark and compare you scores to others using your 4870 which is a very common card. Or pick up another 4870 and set it up in x-fire that will definitely do the trick.

May want to run Anti-virus and Ad-Aware/Spybot S&D to eliminate viruses or adware slowing down your computer.

Have proper cooling in your computer?

Download GPU-Z to check your temperatures. 3D Mark will let you know if your card is performing up to the par of other 4870 users.

-J
February 16, 2010 10:09:30 PM

thanks for the advise, will give that a try
!