Help: HP Laserjet 5M - how to replace cartridge?

ad

Hi
I have got a second hand HP Laserjet 5M printer with no manual book.
I have set it up for my home network and it now works fine (tricky
though.
Any one wants to know how to set it up please let me know).

Yesterday I was trying to pull the cartridge out but it seems it's
locked there.
I am not sure what is supposed to be the correct way to take it out.
I don't
want to break anything. Is there any lock/mechanism I need to
release before
I pull it out or just pull it hard until it comes out?

Any one who has experience on this printer please help. Thank you.

ad

Lift up slightly on the cartridge as you remove it. The 5M does not really LOCK
the cartridge into place... Ben Myers

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:28:03 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi
>I have got a second hand HP Laserjet 5M printer with no manual book.
>I have set it up for my home network and it now works fine (tricky
>though.
>Any one wants to know how to set it up please let me know).
>
>Yesterday I was trying to pull the cartridge out but it seems it's
>locked there.
>I am not sure what is supposed to be the correct way to take it out.
>I don't
>want to break anything. Is there any lock/mechanism I need to
>release before
>I pull it out or just pull it hard until it comes out?
>
>Any one who has experience on this printer please help. Thank you.
>
>ad

ad

Thanks Ben. I'll try. It was pretty tight.

I have now connected my Win98 computer to the 5M printer by installing a program acitlp95.exe

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:418ff847.32470685@news.charter.net...
> Lift up slightly on the cartridge as you remove it. The 5M does not really LOCK
> the cartridge into place... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:28:03 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>I have got a second hand HP Laserjet 5M printer with no manual book.
>>I have set it up for my home network and it now works fine (tricky
>>though.
>>Any one wants to know how to set it up please let me know).
>>
>>Yesterday I was trying to pull the cartridge out but it seems it's
>>locked there.
>>I am not sure what is supposed to be the correct way to take it out.
>>I don't
>>want to break anything. Is there any lock/mechanism I need to
>>release before
>>I pull it out or just pull it hard until it comes out?
>>
>>Any one who has experience on this printer please help. Thank you.
>>
>>ad

I am not sure what the program acitlp95.exe does, but the LJ5M has drivers on
the Windows 98CD and also from the Adobe (owners of PostScript) web site.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:26:15 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks Ben. I'll try. It was pretty tight.
>
>I have now connected my Win98 computer to the 5M printer by installing a program acitlp95.exe
>

><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:418ff847.32470685@news.charter.net...
>> Lift up slightly on the cartridge as you remove it. The 5M does not really LOCK
>> the cartridge into place... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:28:03 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>I have got a second hand HP Laserjet 5M printer with no manual book.
>>>I have set it up for my home network and it now works fine (tricky
>>>though.
>>>Any one wants to know how to set it up please let me know).
>>>
>>>Yesterday I was trying to pull the cartridge out but it seems it's
>>>locked there.
>>>I am not sure what is supposed to be the correct way to take it out.
>>>I don't
>>>want to break anything. Is there any lock/mechanism I need to
>>>release before
>>>I pull it out or just pull it hard until it comes out?
>>>
>>>Any one who has experience on this printer please help. Thank you.
>>>
>>>ad

ad

I asked for help in this group about a week ago on this issue. (Thanks
for the help from people including you).

The problem was that the printer was not visible as a network printer.
Using the HP printer installation wizard did help. IP address and MAC
address didn't help.

With my WinXP machines I installed the printer as local and specify
TCP/IP port. With Win98 however I couldn't do the same. acitlp95.exe
creates TCP/IP port and allow connection to the printer.

I am not very competent in IT. Hope I explained it correctly. Although
the problem is solved I still don't understand why. I was thinking about
two possible exlenations:

1) 5M is an "IP printer" but not a todays "network printer".
2) The wireless router I use played some sort of role in the problem.
(But my other print server plugged into a Cannon printer has no
problem at all).

ad

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41902e84.46357519@news.charter.net...
>I am not sure what the program acitlp95.exe does, but the LJ5M has drivers on
> the Windows 98CD and also from the Adobe (owners of PostScript) web site.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:26:15 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Ben. I'll try. It was pretty tight.
>>
>>I have now connected my Win98 computer to the 5M printer by installing a program acitlp95.exe
>>

>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:418ff847.32470685@news.charter.net...
>>> Lift up slightly on the cartridge as you remove it. The 5M does not really LOCK
>>> the cartridge into place... Ben Myers

I am well familiar with the LJ 5M and 5N. I run two of them in my small office.
Very inexpensive to run and reliable. There is little difference between the
networking capabilities of the LJ 5M and today's printers. The newer HP (and
other brand) printer network cards also can be set up to be accessed across the
web, but in practice only very large enterprises would usually use this feature.

I am surprised that the HP install printer installation wizard did not succeed
in setting up the printer on the Windows 98 computers.

The wireless router should not cause any problem. But you should make sure that
the HP printer has an assigned and fixed IP address NOT within the range of IP
addresses used by the router's DHCP server assign addresses to computers when
they power up... Ben Myers

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:33:52 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:

>I asked for help in this group about a week ago on this issue. (Thanks
>for the help from people including you).
>
>The problem was that the printer was not visible as a network printer.
>Using the HP printer installation wizard did help. IP address and MAC
>address didn't help.
>
>With my WinXP machines I installed the printer as local and specify
>TCP/IP port. With Win98 however I couldn't do the same. acitlp95.exe
>creates TCP/IP port and allow connection to the printer.
>
>I am not very competent in IT. Hope I explained it correctly. Although
>the problem is solved I still don't understand why. I was thinking about
>two possible exlenations:
>
>1) 5M is an "IP printer" but not a todays "network printer".
>2) The wireless router I use played some sort of role in the problem.
>(But my other print server plugged into a Cannon printer has no
>problem at all).
>

>ad
>

><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41902e84.46357519@news.charter.net...
>>I am not sure what the program acitlp95.exe does, but the LJ5M has drivers on
>> the Windows 98CD and also from the Adobe (owners of PostScript) web site.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:26:15 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks Ben. I'll try. It was pretty tight.
>>>
>>>I have now connected my Win98 computer to the 5M printer by installing a program acitlp95.exe

ad

BTW, I have taken the cartridge out last night without breaking anything^_^

The trick is what you said to lift it up little bit.

Thanks a lot.

ad

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41902e84.46357519@news.charter.net...
>I am not sure what the program acitlp95.exe does, but the LJ5M has drivers on
> the Windows 98CD and also from the Adobe (owners of PostScript) web site.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:26:15 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Ben. I'll try. It was pretty tight.
>>
>>I have now connected my Win98 computer to the 5M printer by installing a program acitlp95.exe
>>

>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:418ff847.32470685@news.charter.net...
>>> Lift up slightly on the cartridge as you remove it. The 5M does not really LOCK
>>> the cartridge into place... Ben Myers

ad

I have set the printer IP address as 192.168.0.10 (within the range of 192.168.0.0...
....192.168.0.50 set in the router) and I have let the router to reserve the
address for this printer as I did for the other printer. I can see the priter from
the router configuration interface with no problem. Just can't see the printer as a
member of the network either from my WinXP machines or Win98 machine.

ad

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41919fd6.59196137@news.charter.net...
>I am well familiar with the LJ 5M and 5N. I run two of them in my small office.
> Very inexpensive to run and reliable. There is little difference between the
> networking capabilities of the LJ 5M and today's printers. The newer HP (and
> other brand) printer network cards also can be set up to be accessed across the
> web, but in practice only very large enterprises would usually use this feature.
>
> I am surprised that the HP install printer installation wizard did not succeed
> in setting up the printer on the Windows 98 computers.
>
> The wireless router should not cause any problem. But you should make sure that
> the HP printer has an assigned and fixed IP address NOT within the range of IP
> addresses used by the router's DHCP server assign addresses to computers when
> they power up... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:33:52 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I asked for help in this group about a week ago on this issue. (Thanks
>>for the help from people including you).
>>
>>The problem was that the printer was not visible as a network printer.
>>Using the HP printer installation wizard did help. IP address and MAC
>>address didn't help.
>>
>>With my WinXP machines I installed the printer as local and specify
>>TCP/IP port. With Win98 however I couldn't do the same. acitlp95.exe
>>creates TCP/IP port and allow connection to the printer.
>>
>>I am not very competent in IT. Hope I explained it correctly. Although
>>the problem is solved I still don't understand why. I was thinking about
>>two possible exlenations:
>>
>>1) 5M is an "IP printer" but not a todays "network printer".
>>2) The wireless router I use played some sort of role in the problem.
>>(But my other print server plugged into a Cannon printer has no
>>problem at all).
>>

>>ad
>>

>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41902e84.46357519@news.charter.net...
>>>I am not sure what the program acitlp95.exe does, but the LJ5M has drivers on
>>> the Windows 98CD and also from the Adobe (owners of PostScript) web site.
>>>
>>> ... Ben Myers

In general, when the router provides IP addresses to network client devices via
DHCP, any device or computer with a fixed IP address must have its IP address
OUTSIDE the range of addresses supplied by the DHCP server.

It is also most common in a Windows network to assign network printers fixed IP
addresses, as you have done. Other networks may be able to handle IP addresses
dynamically assigned by DHCP to a LaserJet JetDirect, but not Windows. A
JetDirect card does allow IP assignment via DHCP, but don't use this option.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:38:04 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:

>I have set the printer IP address as 192.168.0.10 (within the range of 192.168.0.0...
>...192.168.0.50 set in the router) and I have let the router to reserve the
>address for this printer as I did for the other printer. I can see the priter from
>the router configuration interface with no problem. Just can't see the printer as a
>member of the network either from my WinXP machines or Win98 machine.
>
>ad

ad

Thanks Ben

I might try to set the IP outside the DHCP range.

ad

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41929ff2.34592404@news.charter.net...
> In general, when the router provides IP addresses to network client devices via
> DHCP, any device or computer with a fixed IP address must have its IP address
> OUTSIDE the range of addresses supplied by the DHCP server.
>
> It is also most common in a Windows network to assign network printers fixed IP
> addresses, as you have done. Other networks may be able to handle IP addresses
> dynamically assigned by DHCP to a LaserJet JetDirect, but not Windows. A
> JetDirect card does allow IP assignment via DHCP, but don't use this option.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:38:04 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I have set the printer IP address as 192.168.0.10 (within the range of 192.168.0.0...
>>...192.168.0.50 set in the router) and I have let the router to reserve the
>>address for this printer as I did for the other printer. I can see the priter from
>>the router configuration interface with no problem. Just can't see the printer as a
>>member of the network either from my WinXP machines or Win98 machine.
>>
>>ad

By all means, do so. In theory, a DHCP server should work around a fixed IP
address in the range. In practice, not all DHCP servers respond gracefully to
this condition... Ben Myers

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:51:49 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks Ben
>
>I might try to set the IP outside the DHCP range.
>
>ad
>
><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41929ff2.34592404@news.charter.net...
>> In general, when the router provides IP addresses to network client devices via
>> DHCP, any device or computer with a fixed IP address must have its IP address
>> OUTSIDE the range of addresses supplied by the DHCP server.
>>
>> It is also most common in a Windows network to assign network printers fixed IP
>> addresses, as you have done. Other networks may be able to handle IP addresses
>> dynamically assigned by DHCP to a LaserJet JetDirect, but not Windows. A
>> JetDirect card does allow IP assignment via DHCP, but don't use this option.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:38:04 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have set the printer IP address as 192.168.0.10 (within the range of 192.168.0.0...
>>>...192.168.0.50 set in the router) and I have let the router to reserve the
>>>address for this printer as I did for the other printer. I can see the priter from
>>>the router configuration interface with no problem. Just can't see the printer as a
>>>member of the network either from my WinXP machines or Win98 machine.
>>>
>>>ad

ad

Ben, I haven't tried a different IP address yet. I now found another problem.

With acitlp95.exe, my Win98 machine can print to LJ 5M. However I can't print
from IE while printing from Textpad and MS Word is OK, When I print a web page
nothing happens. No print queue no error message.

What can this be?

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41941cb5.1360788@news.charter.net...
> By all means, do so. In theory, a DHCP server should work around a fixed IP
> address in the range. In practice, not all DHCP servers respond gracefully to
> this condition... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:51:49 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Ben
>>
>>I might try to set the IP outside the DHCP range.
>>
>>ad
>>
>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41929ff2.34592404@news.charter.net...
>>> In general, when the router provides IP addresses to network client devices via
>>> DHCP, any device or computer with a fixed IP address must have its IP address
>>> OUTSIDE the range of addresses supplied by the DHCP server.
>>>
>>> It is also most common in a Windows network to assign network printers fixed IP
>>> addresses, as you have done. Other networks may be able to handle IP addresses
>>> dynamically assigned by DHCP to a LaserJet JetDirect, but not Windows. A
>>> JetDirect card does allow IP assignment via DHCP, but don't use this option.
>>>
>>> ... Ben Myers

Try a different IP address for the LJ 5M. I can't suggest anything else. I
have no idea how ACITLP95 interacts with IE, which has its own quirky ways of
using printers... Ben Myers

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:26:21 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:

>Ben, I haven't tried a different IP address yet. I now found another problem.
>
>With acitlp95.exe, my Win98 machine can print to LJ 5M. However I can't print
>from IE while printing from Textpad and MS Word is OK, When I print a web page
>nothing happens. No print queue no error message.
>
>What can this be?
>

><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41941cb5.1360788@news.charter.net...
>> By all means, do so. In theory, a DHCP server should work around a fixed IP
>> address in the range. In practice, not all DHCP servers respond gracefully to
>> this condition... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:51:49 +1000, "ad" <ad@yayahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks Ben
>>>
>>>I might try to set the IP outside the DHCP range.
>>>
>>>ad

ad

Thanks, I'll try

ad