Verizon Pre-pay

Last response: in Network Providers
July 23, 2004 6:20:30 AM

Hi all:

I am getting second opinions here, as I got information from a verizon sales
clerk but couldnt get info from VZW's tech help. He said any digital phone
work with this service, except the camera phones. He also said i could not
port my sprint number to the pre-pay network. This makes no sense to me.
Please advise. Thanks

More about : verizon pre pay

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 3:19:15 PM

John Q Public <vandelay96@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I am getting second opinions here, as I got information from a verizon sales
> clerk but couldnt get info from VZW's tech help. He said any digital phone
> work with this service, except the camera phones. He also said i could not
> port my sprint number to the pre-pay network. This makes no sense to me.
> Please advise. Thanks

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to port your number, but I've never
ported to a prepay phone. Yes, traditionally any *CDMA* digital phone - any
phone technologically capable of running in digital mode on Verizon's network
- should work. My VZW account was postpay so I am not familiar with the
no-camera-phone restriction, however.

Which phone model did you want to activate?

July 23, 2004 4:58:03 PM

It is my understanding that the VZW pre-pay phones use a separate VZW
network and are "locked." This might explain the portting issue...but
my be a ploy to get you to buy a new phone....perhaps others will post
on this issue.

jeb

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 02:20:30 GMT, "John Q Public"
<vandelay96@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi all:
>
>I am getting second opinions here, as I got information from a verizon sales
>clerk but couldnt get info from VZW's tech help. He said any digital phone
>work with this service, except the camera phones. He also said i could not
>port my sprint number to the pre-pay network. This makes no sense to me.
>Please advise. Thanks

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 4:58:04 PM

John Brandt <> wrote:
> It is my understanding that the VZW pre-pay phones use a separate VZW
> network

I doubt that....

> and are "locked."

but a lot of people have reported that VZW prepay phones, unlike VZW
postpay phones, are locked. On the other hand, VZW will activate non-VZW
phones on a postpay account. What's the policy regarding prepaid accounts?
Anyone know?

July 23, 2004 5:21:20 PM

Steven J Sobol wrote:
On the other hand, VZW will activate
> non-VZW phones on a postpay account. What's the policy regarding
> prepaid accounts? Anyone know?

Same as postpay. All my Verizon prepay phones are unlocked Sprint PCS
phones.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:07:31 PM

As far as the camera phone restriction goes -
The rep was probably referring to the fact that the prepaid plan has
no pix features - you probably would not have the ability to send the
pictures to or from your wireless phone, since there is no price plan
for such a service.

As far as I know, you can activate any single-mode handset (pcs) if
you are in texas/florida area, dual mode (amps/cdmavzw), or tri mode
(amps/cdma/pcs) phone. I speak from experience, having brought the
latter two from hand me down post paid accounts onto my prepay.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 5:40:32 AM

"Which phone model did you want to activate?"

Verizon offers an LG VX3200 for $99 after rebates for the prepay plan. I
really would like a regular plan but I have an old Sprint $16.99 plan that I
got several years ago. Back then Sprint was the best with no contract! My
plan is for100 minutes which I rarely go over since it really is used for
emergencies. The thing is reliability. Last year during the NYC blackout,
Sprint was useless. VZ was the only phone that seemed to work. Now that
everyone is hooked on wireless, everyone demands a contract and most plans
come to $50 or so after taxes per month.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!

"John Q Public" <vandelay96@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o B_Lc.56521$4h7.6834461@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Hi all:
>
> I am getting second opinions here, as I got information from a verizon
sales
> clerk but couldnt get info from VZW's tech help. He said any digital
phone
> work with this service, except the camera phones. He also said i could not
> port my sprint number to the pre-pay network. This makes no sense to me.
> Please advise. Thanks

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 5:40:33 AM

John Q Public <vandelay96@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Which phone model did you want to activate?"
>

> Verizon offers an LG VX3200 for $99 after rebates for the prepay plan.

Well, if that's the phone you want, you won't have any problems getting one
activated. :)

I figured maybe you wanted to activate some phone from another carrier...