Back to basics on Sharing an Internet Connection via Wirel..

Hi

I'm after some real basic help with the wireless network scene. Please
keep it simple for me!

I have two desktop PC's both running XP Home Edition SP2. The "main"
PC is downstairs and the second PC upstairs in the bedroom. My "main"
PC is connected to the internet via an ADSL (broadband) connection via
a ZyXEL Prestige 630-C USB modem.

I want to share that Internet connection with the PC upstairs, plus a
printer connected to the "main" PC and perhaps some file xfers between
the machines … that's all!

I had hoped a peer to peer network would suffice; as I am prepared to
turn the "main" PC on to allow the use of this connection/printer.

I purchased two Zonet Wireless LAN USB Adapters IEEE 802.11b 2.4 GHz
and plugged one into each PC. Whilst setting this up, I moved the PC
which is normally upstairs downstairs to save me running up and down
the stairs, and got the whole lot up and running brilliantly using the
XP Wireless Network Wizards within minutes.

However, when I returned the second PC to the upstairs bedroom the
problems started, and now neither PC can see each other.

I suspect this is down to the range of the adapters, the walls/floors
in my house etc. etc.

What do I need to do to get these two machines talking again? Do I
need a Wireless Router, a Wireless Access Point or something else, or
should I start from scratch ?

Are there any pros or cons with your suggested solution ?

Many thanks, any help gratefully received.

Adam

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I assume you have the wireless set up as Ad Hoc. You need to see if there's
a signal strenght applet that came with your cards. Since they are USB, you
can move the antennas around and see if you can improve the reception. See
what metal/walls could be interfering with the signal. Be sure the computers
aren't in the line-of-sight of the antennas. Otherwise you may need an
access point upstairs connected to your main computer with cable.

"Adam A Raine" <beemauk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm after some real basic help with the wireless network scene. Please
> keep it simple for me!
>
> I have two desktop PC's both running XP Home Edition SP2. The "main"
> PC is downstairs and the second PC upstairs in the bedroom. My "main"
> PC is connected to the internet via an ADSL (broadband) connection via
> a ZyXEL Prestige 630-C USB modem.
>
> I want to share that Internet connection with the PC upstairs, plus a
> printer connected to the "main" PC and perhaps some file xfers between
> the machines . that's all!
>
> I had hoped a peer to peer network would suffice; as I am prepared to
> turn the "main" PC on to allow the use of this connection/printer.
>
> I purchased two Zonet Wireless LAN USB Adapters IEEE 802.11b 2.4 GHz
> and plugged one into each PC. Whilst setting this up, I moved the PC
> which is normally upstairs downstairs to save me running up and down
> the stairs, and got the whole lot up and running brilliantly using the
> XP Wireless Network Wizards within minutes.
>
> However, when I returned the second PC to the upstairs bedroom the
> problems started, and now neither PC can see each other.
>
> I suspect this is down to the range of the adapters, the walls/floors
> in my house etc. etc.
>
> What do I need to do to get these two machines talking again? Do I
> need a Wireless Router, a Wireless Access Point or something else, or
> should I start from scratch ?
>
> Are there any pros or cons with your suggested solution ?
>
> Many thanks, any help gratefully received.
>
> Adam

What does your signal strength look like from the secondary PC? What
happens if you put the secondary PC next to the main PC? Does everything
still work? If that works and the signal strength is low when it is moved,
it is a good chance it is a signal issue. Do you have 2.4GHz cordless
phones in the house? If so, try unplugging them completely and see if that
helps. Also, what about changing the channel number? Try different
channels and see if the signal strength improves.

Jeff

"Adam A Raine" <beemauk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm after some real basic help with the wireless network scene. Please
> keep it simple for me!
>
> I have two desktop PC's both running XP Home Edition SP2. The "main"
> PC is downstairs and the second PC upstairs in the bedroom. My "main"
> PC is connected to the internet via an ADSL (broadband) connection via
> a ZyXEL Prestige 630-C USB modem.
>
> I want to share that Internet connection with the PC upstairs, plus a
> printer connected to the "main" PC and perhaps some file xfers between
> the machines . that's all!
>
> I had hoped a peer to peer network would suffice; as I am prepared to
> turn the "main" PC on to allow the use of this connection/printer.
>
> I purchased two Zonet Wireless LAN USB Adapters IEEE 802.11b 2.4 GHz
> and plugged one into each PC. Whilst setting this up, I moved the PC
> which is normally upstairs downstairs to save me running up and down
> the stairs, and got the whole lot up and running brilliantly using the
> XP Wireless Network Wizards within minutes.
>
> However, when I returned the second PC to the upstairs bedroom the
> problems started, and now neither PC can see each other.
>
> I suspect this is down to the range of the adapters, the walls/floors
> in my house etc. etc.
>
> What do I need to do to get these two machines talking again? Do I
> need a Wireless Router, a Wireless Access Point or something else, or
> should I start from scratch ?
>
> Are there any pros or cons with your suggested solution ?
>
> Many thanks, any help gratefully received.
>
> Adam

Adam A Raine <beemauk@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I purchased two Zonet Wireless LAN USB Adapters IEEE 802.11b 2.4 GHz
> and plugged one into each PC. Whilst setting this up, I moved the PC
> which is normally upstairs downstairs to save me running up and down
> the stairs, and got the whole lot up and running brilliantly using the
> XP Wireless Network Wizards within minutes.

> However, when I returned the second PC to the upstairs bedroom the
> problems started, and now neither PC can see each other.

Since they worked nearby, and not apart...
First thought is the orientation of the antennas. The radiation is like a
doughnut, so you might need to orient the antennas so the they are pointed
broadside at each other, not end on.

Another possibility is reflectors added to each one of the units, pointing
toward each other.
http://www.freeantennas.com The EZ10 is the easiest to make.

Your adapter may have come with a signal monitoring tool that you can use
to see if you are getting any signal, or to make adjustments.
http://www.zonet.com.tw/Data/Download/Download_main.html ?

NetStumbler also offers a signal monitor, but it might not work with your
adapter. http://www.netstumbler.com

The Windows XP "status" shows a four bar graph, but that's not granular
enough for antenna aiming or evaluation.

The indoor range of wireless is not great. With stock antennas, I would
guess 50-70 feet, one or two walls, is at the limit.

---

You can save yourself some trouble by getting a wireless/etherfast router
AP/switch and let it be that gateway device for the LAN and WAN. The router
is better protection from the Internet and also provides better protection
on the wireless too.

You can get a print server and plug it into the printer and router's LAN
port and either machine wired or wireless can connect and print to the
printer without the printer being connected to a host machine.

http://tinyurl.com/548ah

You should get a UPS/AVR and plug everything into it as it will make things
last longer. TigerDirect has UPS/AVR(s) too.

Duane :)